Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The origin of the giant goalie mask at the Saddledome

Stumbled across an interesting fact/photo about the giant mask that is mounted on the side of the Saddledome (and why it exists). From the Instagram page of Greg Harrrison, who made masks for many NHL goalies over the years:

Quote:
In 1988 an Advertising agency contacted me to photograph 25 of my Masks & five others for a display in the Calgary Saddledome for the 1988 Winter Olympics. These were to be displayed as large photographs in the lobby of the arena. In addition to this, they wanted to produce a 10 foot replica of my Yves Belanger Atlanta Flames mask. They actually used my Phil Myre mask as a model for the large mask. It was made using a horizontal & vertical grid plotting system, as 3-D scanners or printers did not exist at that time. The paint job on the mask was based on my last changes to Bélanger’s mask. His mask had gone through a number of subtle changes since he wore it. It had been shortened a half an inch on the bottom while he wore it. When I got it back I lengthened it to its original state & then altered the flames slightly to be more frontal around the eyes at the request of Mediacom for an ad for backlit bus shelters based on the theme Stopping Power. They used it in a publication but said they did not ever produce a full size print for the bus shelters. But I did see a full size print in a scene from Youngblood where Patrick Swayze is about to remove the stitches from Rob Lowe‘s eyebrow. Also in the movie at their request, one of the Masks I made has a Bélanger style paint job but simply in red and white. Photo1. Me inside the eye of the 10ft mask holding Phil Myre‘s mask...

More photos can be seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAEx6yRAEjA/

It always bothered (?) me why they featured an Atlanta Flames mask when the team was in Calgary. Turns out it wasn’t commissioned by the team at alll...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a mounted poster version of the 25 masks somewhere..I need to dig that out and put it up in the rec room!

edit- phew glad this thread existed- found the poster, as we are putting some stuff up right now

of the 30 masks, the most recent was a then current Mike Vernon mask. the 5 non Harrison were Plante, Cheevers, Dan Bouchard and 2 Palmateers (although this did include Harrison making a Sawchuk replica)

not my poster- but just like this one:
http://myhockeycardobsession.blogspo...y-olympic.html

Last edited by looooob; 05-17-2020 at 10:39 AM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember that poster and wondered (as a kid) why Vernon never used that mask. I guess he preferred his old CCM/Cooper cage combo until he finally switched over circa 1993.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

That's pretty cool information. Clears up a few things vis-a-vis Phil Myre and Yves Belanger. Originally I thought it was based on the former from news accounts of the time.

However, later photographic evidence (with the advent of the internet making it easier) pointed to Belanger.

The art instalment, in fact, was a hybrid of both.

Thanks tvp2003!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A good reminder that the Olympic Games isn't just about athletes and sport. The Olympic Art Festival (of which the Mask display was a part) supported so much culture and artists and lead to my appreciation of the fine arts.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The first time I went to the dome was at night, I think I was four or five years old. I found those masks slightly terrifying. It was reminiscent of when homer made Bart the clown bed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Dunc Wilson's mask hasn't aged well...

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Always loved that mask, I hope they keep it when they move to the new building
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foofighter15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

As I said in a previous thread, it should be a shoulder patch.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote