Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #2821
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I got paired up with an older member from my course. She's 70 years old and plays pretty decent golf for her age. Anyhow we get to hole #8 and there these 4 guys in their late teens teeing off. She watches them tee off and then proceeds to ask why they are playing from the blues when they don't hit it that far. They told her to #### off and mind her own business!

I'm watching the above in disbelief. I told her later that you can't lecture people on what tee box they should be playing from. She didn't listen to me an phoned the pro to complain. Pro comes out in a cart and tells her much the same thing I told her.
Oh man that's actually hilarious - poor etiquette or not - if I got called out like that by an old lady I'd be rattled

I remember when I was in university and would go golfing with my buddies - we all thought we were so cool playing from "tips" even though we'd hit 2 or 3 solid drives the entire round

Now I'm probably a 15 strokes better golfer and typically play blue/white combos
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #2822
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
I was able to get heritage. Hopefully the mosquitos aren't too bad
How was HP? Got bit a few times at Hamptons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
You'll have to let us know what The Hamptons are like. I have a round at Bearspaw this afternoon with my buddies. I thought about Hamptons but I've never had a strong desire to go play there despite it being only a few minutes from my house. I might check it out later this year but I'm hoping Mickelson National will be open for next month and I'd like to go to Heritage as well.
Neat inner city layout with a decent amount of elevation change. Holes #14 and #15 were taken out for redevelopment. They extended #8 into a par 4 then crammed in a par 3 before #9. Original #18 was butchered into two for now #17 and #18. These were definitely my least favourite holes.
Conditions were alright, nothing to talk about. Bring a laser rangefinder and do not rely on GPS. Bushnell course GPS has not been updated since redevelopment. I'd definitely play Bearspaw and HP over Hamptons.

How was Bearspaw?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #2823
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

It won’t seem like much to most in this thread but I broke 95 for the 2nd in a row time today at Shaganappi. After years of playing causally and not taking the game as seriously as I should have I feel like my game has really turned a corner. One slight positive about my other hobbies (going to sporting events, the gym, movies, drinking with friends) being taken away for the moment is that I’ve pivoted fully to golf since the courses opened.

Also I want to commend golfers on adhering to the social distancing rules put in place. At least in my experience I’ve seen people being more conscious of the rules at golf courses than anywhere else.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #2824
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post

Neat inner city layout with a decent amount of elevation change. Holes #14 and #15 were taken out for redevelopment. They extended #8 into a par 4 then crammed in a par 3 before #9. Original #18 was butchered into two for now #17 and #18. These were definitely my least favourite holes.
Conditions were alright, nothing to talk about. Bring a laser rangefinder and do not rely on GPS. Bushnell course GPS has not been updated since redevelopment. I'd definitely play Bearspaw and HP over Hamptons.

How was Bearspaw?
Bearspaw was great as well. It has become one of my favorite courses in Calgary. Condition wise it was pretty good for what I consider still being early season. The greens were surprisingly fast. There was quite a few wet and soggy and flooded sections of the rough and fairway which seemed a bit odd. I it rained quite a bit last week but the drainage should be better. I'll definitely go back for a few more rounds this summer.

I think I'll skip out on Hamptons.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #2825
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post

Heritage was good. Got the desert nine (not my fav) and Pointe 9. Pointe 9 was much better condition, fairways/greens fairly lush. I didn't notice mosquitos but noticed a few bites the next day.

Last edited by ryeguy252; 05-28-2020 at 09:03 AM.
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #2826
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got in the first nine of the season yesterday. No chance to get to a driving range beforehand and still shot about average for me. Beautiful day and bet of all the twosome we were paired with showed up late and we were sent out without them. Have 18 booked for Bearspaw next week, really looking forward to that - first time playing. Normally I'm the King of slices off the tee, yesterday it was all straight pulls. Zero fairways hit.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #2827
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got in my third round of the season yesterday at MacKenzie Meadows (Fox Hollow and Douglas Dale previously). Shot a 106, 99, 100 - mixture of blues and whites with no mullagins (sp?) and few gimme putts (I need these shots to get better).

Similar to CofR, I'm seeing much better improvements this year finally. Always been casual and barely played, but starting to see a bit more consistency in swing and ball contact. Really need to practice ball contact though.

Also, I way prefer Covid-19 rules. The courses are more organized and flow is better. The little cup lever is pretty slick to pull your ball too.

We comically had the Marshal come tell us to hurry up at hole 10, then again at 11. It's hard not to lay into people when they do this... first off, how can you see much of a difference from 1 hole? We aren't going to fly through and catch up a hole. That being said, we had a 4some of 30something yearolds, walking, and cooking through at a good pace. Most of the group shot in the 80s, I'd be the weakest link score-wise, but also personally prefer not to take practice swings with my driver, 1 swing on fairway/rough, and fly through putting (shaved off strokes since I stopped overthinking it). It was refreshing to not be waiting at every hole, until we were accused of being slow. Kudos to the groups infront of us playing at a faster pace, but we didn't need some old grumpy guy barking at us for 6 holes, when the group behind us hadn't caught up... starting eating into some of the enjoyment and was unnecessary.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #2828
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like your group was out of position. If he approached your group on the 10th tee and again on the 11th green, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's two full holes to pick up the pace.

I've played MM several times, the marshalls there aren't jerks.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #2829
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Sounds like your group was out of position. If he approached your group on the 10th tee and again on the 11th green, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's two full holes to pick up the pace.

I've played MM several times, the marshalls there aren't jerks.
10th tee to 11th tee. Holes 1-18 were played at a normal pace and the group behind us wasn't waiting. I think the sun was getting to him.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #2830
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Shot a personal best round of 87. Made a 40 ft putt on the par 3, 8th for a bird and a 60ft putt on the par 5, 10th for a bird also.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #2831
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice Dion. That's probably 4+ strokes gained with those bombs!!!!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #2832
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Nice Dion. That's probably 4+ strokes gained with those bombs!!!!
Speaking of bombs, I came with 2 ft of driving the water on hole #16. Missed the darned bird and ended up with a par
Old 05-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #2833
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Speaking of bombs, I came with 2 ft of driving the water on hole #16. Missed the darned bird and ended up with a par

I never try for over the water on that hole. My best drive goes over, my other 99% go in.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #2834
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I never try for over the water on that hole. My best drive goes over, my other 99% go in.
We are talking about Nanton right? If you carry the water on #16 aren't you on the green?
Old 05-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #2835
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My game has gone to hell. Went from low 80’s with a possible high 70’s to barely breaking 100.

Like a pirate with a steering wheel on his belt buckle, it’s driving me nuts.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #2836
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
We are talking about Nanton right? If you carry the water on #16 aren't you on the green?

I think so. Memory may be hazy but 16 is the one with the water right before the green that used to be about 2 feet wide, but they remodelled it be a like 10 feet wide?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #2837
jayswin

Exp:

I tend to drive long and low, so I get ****ed by a water line right before the green even if the yardage isn't huge.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #2838
jayswin

Exp:

What's the yardage on 16, anyone know off hand?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:51 PM   #2839
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
My goal is to drive one into the pond, just once and has been for a number of years. A personal challenge of mine as my drives always end up short of the water.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #2840
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Hole 16 has the pond in front of the green. Check the drone video for hole 16

https://nantongolfclub.ca/golf-course/#flyovers

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow