Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Who should start game one?
Rittich 130 40.25%
Talbot 193 59.75%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #181
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I think SI has it wrong. They are assuming there will be set bracket with no re-seeding. From the response from the players that is not happening. There will definitely be re-seeding, we won't know what the next round matchup will be until the play in is over.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #182
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Gaudreau has never come across as a player that doesn't care to me. If anything I think he lets his frustrations get to him too much. That much has been really visible the last several years.

I'd put him at the polar opposite end of the spectrum from Dougie Hamilton when it comes to caring about the outcome of hockey games.
Caring is easy.
Committing is hard.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #183
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Hamilton is not the best example to use, especially since he was likely a Norris nominee this season before he was injured, and 'Canes coach Brind'Amour has been on record multiple times saying Hamilton has taken a huge step forward when it comes to leadership and playing to his full potential.
I disagree. Dougie Hamilton has been heavily criticized specifically for not caring about winning. Being up for an individual award like the Norris doesn't change that IMO.

His lack of intensity or interest when it matters was largely why he was rumoured to have been moved from Boston and Calgary.

Ryan Pike was just on Scorpion's podcast talking about that very thing. "He's not a guy that lives and dies with wins and losses. He just likes to play."

And the Flames management made several comments following the trade about having problems with players who seemed okay with losing and who couldn't ratchet up the intensity.

Francis and Loubardias specifically named Dougie as a player that was okay with losses.
"However, the reality is, Hamilton was the player the Flames most wanted to part with, as he was the poster boy for a squad that had far too many players who seemed all too content with the shocking number of losses that mounted down the stretch."

Maybe Dougie has changed, but I think he's the perfect example of a player that" didn't care enough".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #184
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Johnny has shown the ability to raise his game in tournament play. His first year in the NCAA he was the Beanpot MVP and tossed his game throughout the college tournament. World juniors he scored a hat trick on team Canada in a huge game and lead the US in scoring. The World Cup he was one of the top 3 forwards on the exciting North America squad. He also scored that clutch goal against the Ducks in round 2 in 2015 with just seconds left.

I do think the fact Johnny has never been able to dominate a 7 game series and be a couple sister playoff performer lead to the questions he can’t step up when the games matter but he has shown in the past he can do it. He needs to figure out a way to be a factor for 4-7 consecutive games against the same team

What he has done before the NHL is largely irrelevant.

Most top junior players dominated prior to the NHL.

Until he shows he can play through tough checking on the world’s largest stage, the question remains unanswered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #185
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Caring is easy.
Committing is hard.
Absolutely. I don't think Gaudreau has what it takes to perform in the playoffs the way he needs to. I just don't think it's a matter of caring like was suggested.

Maybe it can still come, but so far he hasn't looked particularly playoff capable. His idol was Danny Briere, so you'd hope he can find a way to rise to the intensity of the playoffs and perform like Briere did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #186
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are re-seeding and also, the top 4 are playing a seeding round. No point assuming the Flames would meet the Blues should they advance
Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #187
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau can't be the only guy that can create offence...I feel like he is easy to shut down if nobody else is going
Old 05-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #188
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. Dougie Hamilton has been heavily criticized specifically for not caring about winning. Being up for an individual award like the Norris doesn't change that IMO.

His lack of intensity or interest when it matters was largely why he was rumoured to have been moved from Boston and Calgary.

Ryan Pike was just on Scorpion's podcast talking about that very thing. "He's not a guy that lives and dies with wins and losses. He just likes to play."

And the Flames management made several comments following the trade about having problems with players who seemed okay with losing and who couldn't ratchet up the intensity.

Francis and Loubardias specifically named Dougie as a player that was okay with losses.
"However, the reality is, Hamilton was the player the Flames most wanted to part with, as he was the poster boy for a squad that had far too many players who seemed all too content with the shocking number of losses that mounted down the stretch."

Maybe Dougie has changed, but I think he's the perfect example of a player that" didn't care enough".
Yeah Dougie seems to tick a little differently than most hockey players. Which frankly I think is a bit of an issue with hockey and sports. He doesn't seem to fit the typical mold, both in terms of his approach to the game and even how he functions outside the game.
But he has tremendous talent and you would hope that a progressive organization would find a way to integrate a talent like that.
But hockey is very old school in its thinking in some ways.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #189
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely. I don't think Gaudreau has what it takes to perform in the playoffs the way he needs to. I just don't think it's a matter of caring like was suggested.

Maybe it can still come, but so far he hasn't looked particularly playoff capable. His idol was Danny Briere, so you'd hope he can find a way to rise to the intensity of the playoffs and perform like Briere did.
I still think it has to do with how he handles his nervous energy. Gaudreau often looks frustrated to me in playoff games, and more often than not this has led to him trying to do too much, and forcing plays. I think if he can figure out how to relax a bit it would help him a lot: in 2015 Gaudreau and Monahan just looked like they were having fun, and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #190
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Jets have the better goalie, and in a 5 game playoff that is so important.

IMO that's the equalizer.
It'd be a lot more important if this was the regular playoffs and not pre-season level hockey. Goaltending numbers are down league wide in October every season (compared to the rest of the season) and it's going to be even worse in the qualifying rounds considering that these games are the first game action goalies are going to see in 5 months (and after a shortened training camp to boot).

Goaltending is going to be all over the place league wide. That definitely doesn't benefit teams that rely on great goaltending since you can't bank on anything given the circumstances.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #191
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One thing we've seen two years in a row is that Rittich plays great hockey coming off an extended break.

The guy needed a break in the worst way.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #192
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
One thing we've seen two years in a row is that Rittich plays great hockey coming off an extended break.

The guy needed a break in the worst way.
It's a tiny sample size, but Rittich has never lost to the Jets in regulation. 2–0–1 in three starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #193
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Excited for this series and hopefully seeing Kane and Toews rip up the Oilers as well. Wouldn't that be sweet if we went through and they didn't. My summer would be awesome.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #194
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I still think it has to do with how he handles his nervous energy. Gaudreau often looks frustrated to me in playoff games, and more often than not this has led to him trying to do too much, and forcing plays. I think if he can figure out how to relax a bit it would help him a lot: in 2015 Gaudreau and Monahan just looked like they were having fun, and it worked.
Mental toughness can be a learned attribute. Frustration gets you nowhere fast.

Johnny has a choice.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #195
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
What he has done before the NHL is largely irrelevant.

Most top junior players dominated prior to the NHL.

Until he shows he can play through tough checking on the world’s largest stage, the question remains unanswered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sure just ignore the multiple times occasions I mentioned where he was clutch in his NHL career. He was electric and one of the best players in the World Cup and saved the Flames from being swept in the second round of 2015. He had 3pts in the series clinching game 6 where the top line scored 4 of our 7 goals to win the series.

He has also been invisible at times so I am not saying he is clutch but he has shown the ability to be clutch throughout his career
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #196
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap. I just saw this thread today... Gooo hockey?

The Flames bottom 6 d is better than the Jets starting 6...
Old 05-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #197
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau has never come across as a player that doesn't care to me. If anything I think he lets his frustrations get to him too much. That much has been really visible the last several years.

I'd put him at the polar opposite end of the spectrum from Dougie Hamilton when it comes to caring about the outcome of hockey games.
Yeah I understand what you’re saying. Just not sure what happened against Colorado and whenever anybody plays him in tight checking he is a massive shrinking violet- Monahan too which is worse because he has some size.

I distinctly recall one scrum I think it was game 5 against Colorado. They covered the puck and there was a small scrum. Johnny got put in a headlock and Monahan was standing next to him... staring at him... then turned and floated off to the bench. Just infuriating.

They’re going to need to get tough, dig deep and have some guts / courage. Push back, get in their faces. So that’s kinda what I’m getting at. Trying hard by skating perimeter in the playoffs is like trying really hard to empty a bath tub with a thimble.. it just doesn’t do much when push comes to shove. And I don’t even mean just pushing or scrapping, I mean grinding through hits, blocking shots, playing with max intensity and most importantly going to the tough areas (front of the net) and driving the play to the net.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #198
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah I agree. Don't think Johnny has it in him to battle through nasty playoff hockey unfortunately.

He's an incredible player, but I really think trading him for a good return before he walks is the best strategy. I don't completely love Hall as a player either, but trading a #1 LW in Gaudreau for some young cost controlled players or picks while signing another #1 LWer in Hall is sensible this summer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #199
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Don't think Johnny has it in him to battle through nasty playoff hockey unfortunately.

He's an incredible player, but I really think trading him for a good return before he walks is the best strategy. I don't completely love Hall as a player either, but trading a #1 LW in Gaudreau for some young cost controlled players or picks while signing another #1 LWer in Hall is sensible this summer.
He’s Phil Kessel with a different skill set. Winning teams have players like him. But he’s not who they rely on to win the game or lead the team.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #200
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really boils down to the term Hall would sign. Well, dollars too.
I like the Idea of moving Johnny and finding a #2 LW (Chuckles takes #1LW) but I'm not certain you'd really need to replace Johnny with Hall. Especially if he's coming in overpaid and over term. Thats equally as damaging to the roster as not moving Johnny and he walks.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote