Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flight Tracking Applications - Incorrect Real-Time Data

I have relied on flight trackers in the past and the couple I've used have been accurate and useful. But I honestly do not know how they work and now I'm really confused as to the information I've been seeing.

Online and mobile phone trackers are reporting a daily Lufthansa flight that my mother-in-law is scheduled to take in June. Lufthansa's own website is reporting the flight as active. I can watch the plane move, get information on altitude and speed, etc., etc. The airport's website in Germany is also showing real-time information about this flight.

The problem is... the flight is grounded! I contacted Lufthansa and the multiple people I've talked to in Germany have confirmed the flight is not happening and the flight is cancelled. They do not know why their websites or applications are showing real-time data.

I understand that the industry is scrambling but how can this data be so incorrect?
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What tracker(s) are you using?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some airports require airlines to continue to use their spots or they will lose them. It's possible that the flight is still flying, but not taking passengers. So they may say it's grounded even if there is still physically a plane flying around empty.

I know Heathrow was making airlines do this early on during all of this. I don't know if they still are, or if other airports were/are doing this, but it's possible that is what is going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
kn
Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flightradar24 on my phone, but also flightstats online, along with websites from Lufthansa and Frankfurt's airport. They are all wrong apparently.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Some airports require airlines to continue to use their spots or they will lose them. It's possible that the flight is still flying, but not taking passengers. So they may say it's grounded even if there is still physically a plane flying around empty.

I know Heathrow was making airlines do this early on during all of this. I don't know if they still are, or if other airports were/are doing this, but it's possible that is what is going on.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah if there's a yellow or blue airplane on FlightRadar24, that information in almost every circumstance can only from a signal generated by an airplane's transponder that is physically in the sky. If you have a flight number, I can tell you the exact circumstance for that flight.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote