Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2023, 07:06 AM   #681
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just bought the Sony x90k on sale at Costco. Haven't turned it on yet as it needs time to warm up and dehumidify, so I can't really give an opinion on it. Assuming Costco sales are the same everywhere, it is on sale until Dec. 22.

This probably goes without saying, but don't buy a low brand like Hisense. I was suckered in by the low price and it crapped out before three years was up. At first the TV just started lagging, then the Switch stopped working on it, then after that, it just stopped working completely. Piece by piece, it just died. I swear it would have got up and kicked me in the nuts if it could. I suppose I should just be lucky it didn't catch fire and kill my family. My sister's crapped out within two years. I decided to spend a little more money this time and hopefully get something that lasts a bit longer.

This got me thinking though, what should the expected life span on new TVs be these days? Maybe my expectations are too high. I bought the extended 6 year warranty offered, which makes me think that it should be at least 6 years, but maybe not much longer considering how warranties work.
I know this is a really old post but six years for a Sony TV would be the least I would expect. I've never bought a Sony, but my family and I have always used Samsung - only ever replaced them after five or more years because the tech was lagging behind.

Big name brands should definitely last six years.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #682
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I also have a 2011 Sony (upper tier model) and it works perfectly fine at my in laws.

Its only 1080p and the screen isn’t as crisp as OLED but outside that it’s perfectly fine. My Dad had a XBR from 2005 until last year, I remember watching the Sopranos finale and Olympic hockey on it when HD was a novelty. Rock solid.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #683
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Actually, I lied - we had a Sony CRT that did at least 10 years. Made to last.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:43 AM   #684
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hisense H9G I got my dad during Covid is on every day for at least 3 hours and it hasn't had an issue. Well actually the first one we got did have some weirdness with the panel, but panel lottery is every brand pretty much. And we replaced that one immediately, the new one has been heavily used and hasn't had any issues. He rarely uses the software outside of Netflix; everything else runs through a Fire Stick or their cable box.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:13 AM   #685
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

To suggest you need to buy only Sony/Samsung TV's is like saying you need to buy only BMW or Mercedes vehicles.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #686
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
To suggest you need to buy only Sony/Samsung TV's is like saying you need to buy only BMW or Mercedes vehicles.
I didn't suggest that - the OP said he bought Sony, and queried how long he should expect it to last. That said, one of the reasons I buy Samsung TVs is because they are high-end TVs. If I could afford a German car I would buy one of those, too.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #687
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I didn't suggest that - the OP said he bought Sony, and queried how long he should expect it to last. That said, one of the reasons I buy Samsung TVs is because they are high-end TVs. If I could afford a German car I would buy one of those, too.
The guy you responded to said that, not you.
All good
Old 07-04-2023, 07:11 AM   #688
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The guy you responded to said that, not you.
All good
No worries. I can see where he's coming from, and if I was on a budget I think there are good options. Personally though, if anyone asks I'll always recommend the big two of Samsung and Sony. Never let me down.

Back when I was looking in 2020 I think it was the LG CX range that was getting rave reviews but were at least $500-$1000 more than I wanted to spend. Maybe the grass would have been greener.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:04 PM   #689
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a corporate TV? Would need to be bright, primarily used with a computer, matte screen (it's in a room with many many windows), and minimum 3 HDMI inputs. Needs to be good with whites, as our current TV looks like garbage with anything white on screen, which is 80% of the time. Probably 75-85 inches.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 02:05 PM   #690
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Anyone have a good recommendation for a corporate TV? Would need to be bright, primarily used with a computer, matte screen (it's in a room with many many windows), and minimum 3 HDMI inputs. Needs to be good with whites, as our current TV looks like garbage with anything white on screen, which is 80% of the time. Probably 75-85 inches.
Samsung the Frame?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:42 PM   #691
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hisense U8H all day.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...nd-affordable/
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #692
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you played with the settings on the current tv?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 01:10 AM   #693
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not super fancy but 55" 4k up at Walmart for $309

4 series TCL

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tcl-55-.../6000205137036
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #694
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

LG OLED C2 48" for 1234

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-Built-Refre...s%2C133&sr=1-1
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:08 PM   #695
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Have you played with the settings on the current tv?
I can't think of many current TVs that look like garbage whites, even with windows. Washed out maybe, but not garbage whites. This leads me to believe any modern TV will work fine as long as it deals with direct light on it well.

That's why I suggested Samsung the Frame. It mounts closer to the wall than any other TV possible and has an "art mode". It looks really good and professional as a result. It does have a matte screen and I do think it gets into the 65-75 inch range. There are no ports on the TV. All power and other things are done via a box that is external to the TV and only a thin wire goes from TV to that box which helps to make it look professional. Most versions of the box have 4 HDMI ports. Viewing angles are pretty decent. No idea if there's minor variations, but even if it's less, it should meet the 3 port requirement, and switches are easy to obtain and inexpensive.

I mean, the playing around with a 75-85 inch TV part, that's where it just starts to seem like doing a ST or UST projector situation might start and just run cables into the wall, with an ALR wall screen but that's possibly a different scenario and not the path that woob probably wanted to go with.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #696
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

To update, I went with a TCL 6 R655 for my outdoor TV. Basically unused open box excellent at bestbuy for $998.
Have had it up for a couple weeks now, and am very happy with it. Tried it today in full bright sun (on screen) for the first time, and it is pretty good. Definitely better with a home built sun shade. In everything but direct sun on screen it is fabulous.
Still not cheap with with the Storm Shell enclosure, but I'm not sure we'll ever spend an evening inside again, weather permitting.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #697
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Damn nice setup. Pretty jealous over here.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #698
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very nice
Old 08-28-2023, 06:15 PM   #699
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it turned out really nice.
I hung a little Govee humidity/temp monitor in the enclosure. Really pleased with how humidity is controlled naturally. We've had ridiculously high humidity here for all of the last week (80% during the day and into the 90's overnight). Humidity has never gone over 50% in the box. My biggest concern was humidity and electronics, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:37 PM   #700
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does the enclosure control humidity?