Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NAS and Windows Authentication

I am trying to figure out a way to host a bunch of files at work without putting a burden on our existing file server. These are large video files (1-2 gig) that will be transfered a few times a day from various users in the company. We need to be able to control access to the files according to Windows (AD) permissions.

I think a NAS would work well here, but I have never used one, and wanted to get some opinions on brands or models that might be able to do this. I looked at the D-Link 323 and a couple of the lower end Drobo models and it doesn't mention anything about authentication.

Am I dreaming that this is an option with a NAS?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would need to find one that is AD supported. The do exist, but I doubt any home based NAS would have them as most of them are linux powered and likely wouldnt have payed the AD license fee.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What operating systems are you running? Is it a desktop or laptop? Because you can simply use share folders and provide read access to certain people in your domain..
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fobby For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because the files are so large, and our file server was specced without consideration for hundreds of 1-2gb files being transfered to and stored on it, we would like to keep the storage off our existing servers.

We can't leave the files on the desktops, for security reasons.

I guess I could simply build a desktop and run it with a mirrored set on it, but I was hoping to avoid something hacked together.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So the first question you need to ask, is how much revenue or value do those hundreds of gigs of data have to your operation. This will help you set a budget to buy a storage system. From there, you can assign priorities based on features (eg. security, snapshots,etc), performance (number/speed of interfaces), availability (RAID, tools, redundant PS), etc.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

First off, thank you for your post. I really didn't consider it from the value perspective. This was just dumped on my desk today and I hadn't had a chance to think it through entirely. The only real value the data has to the organization is that it would cause serious problems if proper security is not met. Performance, reliability and additional functionality are all of relatively minor concern.

We are non-profit so the budget needs to be reasonably small, which is why I thought of a NAS. The more I think about it, if we can't have it authenticate against AD for a reasonable cost, we might be best to use a locked down desktop with a mirrored set.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is a decent place to start: http://www.intel.com/design/servers/...ex.htm#storage

To be honest though, it sounds like you guys should be considering a low end file server. Lenovo, Dell, and HP all make a decent box in the $3000 - $5000 range. I know a desktop price is attractive, but the server NIC and RAID controllers should be really important to you.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Here is a decent place to start: http://www.intel.com/design/servers/...ex.htm#storage

To be honest though, it sounds like you guys should be considering a low end file server. Lenovo, Dell, and HP all make a decent box in the $3000 - $5000 range. I know a desktop price is attractive, but the server NIC and RAID controllers should be really important to you.
I certainly understand the benefits of the server, and in the long run, we may incorporate these files into our file server. It isn't in the budget for this year, not even by a long shot.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I hear you. It just puts you in a tough place though. I can't see you being able to get security (AD auth.), redundancy, and capacity on the cheap like you are being asked to. If you don't mind losing the AD authentication, get yourself a $500 NAS with 2 - 1.5 TB drives in it.

Good luck.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Yeah, I hear you. It just puts you in a tough place though. I can't see you being able to get security (AD auth.), redundancy, and capacity on the cheap like you are being asked to. If you don't mind losing the AD authentication, get yourself a $500 NAS with 2 - 1.5 TB drives in it.

Good luck.
That's the only part of this that isn't negotiable.

I was hoping a NAS would do it for a reasonable price, but I see the error in that thinking now.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
That's the only part of this that isn't negotiable.

I was hoping a NAS would do it for a reasonable price, but I see the error in that thinking now.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Seriously, I’d just buy a Drobo Pro and hang that off the server. In reality, file servers are seldom overloaded in the CPU or bandwidth sense, it’s usually just capacity they need.

So unless there genuine performance issues with the file server, I’d hang extra storage off it before choosing a NAS solution.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Seriously, I’d just buy a Drobo Pro and hang that off the server. In reality, file servers are seldom overloaded in the CPU or bandwidth sense, it’s usually just capacity they need.

So unless there genuine performance issues with the file server, I’d hang extra storage off it before choosing a NAS solution.
Capacity is exactly the issue with our file server. It was built last year before someone decided that we needed to store hundreds of hours of HD video in a secure manner. I never considered just attaching storage directly to the server. That solves pretty much all the problems we have. Other than the Drobo Pro is way overkill for the storage we need now, that is a perfect solution.

I think I will suggest an eSata RAID Enclosure, like this unless they decide they want to throw some money at it.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-20-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Capacity is exactly the issue with our file server. It was built last year before someone decided that we needed to store hundreds of hours of HD video in a secure manner. I never considered just attaching storage directly to the server. That solves pretty much all the problems we have. Other than the Drobo Pro is way overkill for the storage we need now, that is a perfect solution.

I think I will suggest an eSata RAID Enclosure, like this unless they decide they want to throw some money at it.
I wouldn’t go that low end for anyone’s business data, but that’s your call.

Even a base Drobo is a better idea - you can purchase extended warranties, Drobo has technical support you can call (try that with Startech...), they actively update their firmware and utility software, etc.

None of this sounds important today, but when this “temporary” solution is suddenly two years in, with no end in sight, you’ll be glad you bought something a little higher end (particularly something that you can expand so easily, that can hot-swap failed drives, etc!). Edit: it’s the little things too, like the Drobo can email you when running low on capacity, when a drive fails, etc.

And regardless of whether you need their tech support or not, it sure as hell looks good to be able to call in technical expertise from the vendor if it does break. Businesses deal in all manners of risk - and having warranty and technical support available is risk mitigation, whether its needed or not.

You need to show the clear benefits of a better-than-dirt-poor solution, and let the business make the informed decision. You might be surprised at how much they are actually willing to spend when they realize what it buys them.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 10-20-2010 at 09:28 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sclitheroe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I wouldn’t go that low end for anyone’s business data, but that’s your call.

Even a base Drobo is a better idea - you can purchase extended warranties, Drobo has technical support you can call (try that with Startech...), they actively update their firmware and utility software, etc.

None of this sounds important today, but when this “temporary” solution is suddenly two years in, with no end in sight, you’ll be glad you bought something a little higher end (particularly something that you can expand so easily, that can hot-swap failed drives, etc!).

And regardless of whether you need their tech support or not, it sure as hell looks good to be able to call in technical expertise from the vendor if it does break. Businesses deal in all manners of risk - and having warranty and technical support available is risk mitigation, whether its needed or not.

You need to show the clear benefits of a better-than-dirt-poor solution, and let the business make the informed decision. You might be surprised at how much they are actually willing to spend when they realize what it buys them.
Again, great info.

Normally I would agree. When I first was asked about this, I mentioned a entry level Drobo at $500 off the top of my head and he said it probably wasn't in the budget.

This is a strange case in terms of data value and risk because if the data is lost, I get the impression that there isn't a large problem. It is easy to recreate and has a very minimal financial value to the agency. It is more of a "hey this would be nice if we could store this data without storing 20+ gigs of data on the file server, or on the users roaming profile" thing.

I have 3 options to present to the department that made the request. One is the enclosure I linked, the other is a base level Drobo and the last one is using a locked down desktop computer. If they bite on the Drobo, I might see about the Drobo Pro because it has a lot more potential.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Again, great info.

Normally I would agree. When I first was asked about this, I mentioned a entry level Drobo at $500 off the top of my head and he said it probably wasn't in the budget.

This is a strange case in terms of data value and risk because if the data is lost, I get the impression that there isn't a large problem. It is easy to recreate and has a very minimal financial value to the agency. It is more of a "hey this would be nice if we could store this data without storing 20+ gigs of data on the file server, or on the users roaming profile" thing.

I have 3 options to present to the department that made the request. One is the enclosure I linked, the other is a base level Drobo and the last one is using a locked down desktop computer. If they bite on the Drobo, I might see about the Drobo Pro because it has a lot more potential.
Yeah if the data isn't worth much the storage solution can reflect that. I just see the opposite so often it isn't even funny. Firms who's sole output is hundreds of gigs of intellectual property using a creaking old server with an insufficient tape backup. The risk becomes monumental at that point. If the storage system blows up, they are literrally looking at the end of the business.