Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I missed the whole NeXT timeline while it was happening, as I'm pretty late to the computer world... but a lot of this stuff is really interesting. Was NeXT really as influential as it sounds?
I believe NeXTStep also pioneered the concept of display postscript, long before PDF’s and Quartz (OS X’s PDF based display API):

Quote:
Display PostScript at NeXT

The developers of NeXT wrote a completely new windowing engine to take full advantage of NeXT's object-oriented operating system. A number of commands were added to DPS to actually create the windows and to react to events, similar to but simpler than NeWS. The single API made programming at higher levels much easier and made NeXT one of the few systems to extensively use DPS. The user-space windowing system library Nextstep used PostScript to draw items like titlebars and scrollers. This, in turn, made extensive use of pswraps, which were in turn wrapped in objects and presented to the programmer in object form.
[edit]Modern Derivatives

Apple's Mac OS X operating system uses a central window server (created entirely by Apple) that caches window graphics as PDF, instead of storing and executing PostScript code. A graphics library called Quartz 2D provides PostScript-style imaging using the PDF rendering model (a subset, plus tweaks, of the PostScript model), but this is used by application frameworks—there is no PostScript present in the Mac OS X window server. Apple chose to use this model for a variety of reasons, including the avoidance of high Adobe-imposed licensing fees for DPS, and more efficient support of legacy Carbon and Classic code; QuickDraw-based applications use bitmapped drawing exclusively. Adobe's copyright stipulations for the PDF standard are much less restrictive, granting conditional copyright permission to anyone to use the format in software applications, free of charge.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
NEXT might have been influential but it was a flop of a company if it wasnt for Xerox or Canon or whoever who bought them.
You mean Apple.

And yes, as a business venture, NeXT was a terrible failure. I can’t remember which Jobs bio its in, but they talk about a fully automated NeXT assembly plant capable of producing tens of thousands of units a month, producing a few hundred at peak demand.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
NEXT might have been influential but it was a flop of a company if it wasnt for Xerox or Canon or whoever who bought them.
You mean when they were bought by Apple in order to bring Steve Jobs back into the fold?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I'm going to ignore the NeXT debate above and respond to the OP if that's OK^

It's about time! Windows 7 is pretty close to Snow Leopard in terms of ease-of-use and feature quality, time for Apple to take a leap forward on the desktop.

I'm hoping for features that make it a better hub for your digital life extending outwards to iPhone, iPod, iPad, and TV.

(afterall, MS needs new things to copy)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I believe NeXTStep also pioneered the concept of display postscript, long before PDF’s and Quartz (OS X’s PDF based display API):
That's interesting too.

On a bit of a side note, I remember reading something somewhere about Apple's early days of working closely with Adobe to found some of their base technologies. I don't really know any specifics, though.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of doubt this will be announced, but you gotta think iOS and OS X are working towards some sort of convergence (techcrunch suggested replacing the dashboard with an iOS board which would be interesting.)
Either way, Apple has to leverage their strength in the mobile and touch field on their desktops. Maybe not in this iteration, but definitely the next.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #27
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You mean when they were bought by Apple in order to bring Steve Jobs back into the fold?
Of course. With the NeXT tech and people as well. Apple had many failed attempts at creating a modern OS post System 7 like Copland. Mac OS 8 used some of Copland's features like a multithreaded Finder and HFS + but it didn't deserve a full version bump. Jobs did it to get out of having to license to clone makers who were killing Apple at the time. OS 9 was a stop gap and allowed the next new modern OS to use the nice round number 10 or X. All OS 9 added was a kind of multi user environment. Hardly worth a full version bump.

Rhapsody was one of their attempts and was based on OpenStep, developed by NeXT. They ended up just buying NeXT and Rhapsody became OS X.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #28
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Of course. With the NeXT tech and people as well. Apple had many failed attempts at creating a modern OS post System 7 like Copland. Mac OS 8 used some of Copland's features like a multithreaded Finder and HFS + but it didn't deserve a full version bump. Jobs did it to get out of having to license to clone makers who were killing Apple at the time. OS 9 was a stop gap and allowed the next new modern OS to use the nice round number 10 or X. All OS 9 added was a kind of multi user environment. Hardly worth a full version bump.

Rhapsody was one of their attempts and was based on OpenStep, developed by NeXT. They ended up just buying NeXT and Rhapsody became OS X.
There were a lot of rumours at the time that Apple was considering buying up Be Inc. and that BeOS would evolve into the next big iteration of the Mac OS. Apple was offering $125 million, but the Be CEO was holding out for $200 million, and Apple moved their attention to acquiring NeXT. (Be Inc was bought by Palm for $11 million about five years later.)
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #29
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

So was the purchase of NeXT focused on buying their technologies, or was the focus on bringing Steve Jobs back?

I always thought they wanted Jobs to come back, and the only way was to buy his current company at the time (NeXT). Was it the other way around, though (where they wanted NeXTStep and the only way Jobs would sell is if they let him come back to Apple)?

Edit: A quick Wiki lookup provides this paragragh, but it's kind of vague in terms of which was more important to Apple...
Quote:
In 1996, Michael Spindler was replaced by Gil Amelio as CEO. Gil Amelio made many changes at Apple, including massive layoffs. After multiple failed attempts to improve Mac OS, first with the Taligent project, then later with Copland and Gershwin, Amelio chose to purchase NeXT and its NeXTSTEP operating system, bringing Steve Jobs back to Apple as an advisor. On July 9, 1997, Gil Amelio was ousted by the board of directors after overseeing a three-year record-low stock price and crippling financial losses. Jobs became the interim CEO and began restructuring the company's product line.

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-13-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #30
Homer_J
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone heard rumours about the MacBook Pro's being refreshed? I'm planning to make a purchase before the end of November, so an upgrade would be perfect. I would probably log onto my internet.
Homer_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_J View Post
Has anyone heard rumours about the MacBook Pro's being refreshed? I'm planning to make a purchase before the end of November, so an upgrade would be perfect. I would probably log onto my internet.
Wouldn't be surprised if the 13" gets a refresh but the 15 and 17 recently got one to the iChips. The 13" is still on Core 2 Duo, so that might get bumped to i3 or i5. According to the buyer's guide those aren't due- but the 13" is.

My guess is iLife 11 is announced though! (and 10.7 details, and release of 10.6.5)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'd like to see some integration with the iOS devices, new iWork is welcome. I'd also like to see quicktime get back some of it's glory. What Apple did to quicktime reminds me of that time george lucas molested indiana jones.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #33
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Perhaps an iChat update that has a FaceTime plugin ? (would be pretty awesome)
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Some internal SteveNotes, during his time at NeXT... Pretty fascinating stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #35
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's pretty damn sweet, good find Fanin80. You can see why he's such a great keynote speaker...he's logged his 10k hours.

Have you read Crossing the Chasm? I haven't done enough research, but based on the marketing strategy he talks about near the end of part 2 I think I can guess where NeXT stumbled.

They should have dominated, to use an example he mentioned, Boston financial services and expanded outward instead of going gangbusters on marketing expenditures to "get ppl who call Sun to call us as well"

I think you'd really like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #36
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll look for a copy!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #37
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Send me a PM, I'll lend it to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #38
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Send me a PM, I'll lend it to you.
Oh hey, I completely missed this post.

PM sent!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #39
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Some interesting claims: http://www.macstories.net/mac/exclus...look-popovers/

Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #40
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Final predictions:

New iLife
New Macbook Air
10.7 "Lion" displayed and shown. hopefully facetime app or incorporated into iChat

Last edited by silentsim; 10-19-2010 at 11:49 PM.