Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #981
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
16th will still be a major East-West connector for Calgary citizens. The fact that people driving on TransCanada can't get through or around Calgary without driving 45 minutes-an hour on 16th has always been a little silly.
Something like 95%+ of traffic on 16th Avenue is local, as in the trip generation and destination is in Calgary.

EDIT: I should say that I can't cite a source. It's my recollection from a figure I heard a couple years ago.

Last edited by frinkprof; 06-29-2012 at 08:35 PM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #982
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
False.
Well since i can't find where i read this and verify its contents, i guess it's not true. Although it seemed to make sense since 22x is so wide.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #983
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Well since i can't find where i read this and verify its contents, i guess it's not true. Although it seemed to make sense since 22x is so wide.
There was a proposal that gained a little bit of steam in the late 1990s/early 2000s that involved a line going east down 22X from the south LRT as either a replacement for a dedicated SE LRT line. The dedicated SE LRT line won out.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #984
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It would make a lot of sense to connect them though. It would link the homes south of Fish Creek to the industrial park and the hospital quite nicely.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #985
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It would make a lot of sense to connect them though. It would link the homes south of Fish Creek to the industrial park and the hospital quite nicely.
BRT would be more than sufficient for this.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #986
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
BRT would be more than sufficient for this.
It would add two transfers to the routes though. A single SE/S LRT would be pretty low hanging fruit and would help a lot to minimize travel times.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #987
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here because I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Maybe a discussion best saved for/moved to the transit thread.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #988
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
^I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here because I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Maybe a discussion best saved for/moved to the transit thread.
I'm talking about having the S line go east, become the SE line, and head back downtown. Might even be a good idea to start with the connection (i.e. go from Somerset to McKenzie, then build to downtown). Problem would be you'd need the downtown subway then.

Last edited by SebC; 06-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #989
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ and all the businesses on 16th ave would be in an uproar.

Also need to take into consideration that the long term plan is to connect the se and sw lrt lines along 22x. So the number one highway would run beside that? Wierd.
I think Calgary has grown large enough so that these businesses can manage without travelers stopping for gas and snacks on 16th.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #990
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most tourists don't stop at mom and pop places. It's the McD and Tims that would be affected and they will be fine with the local flavor. In fact, business might pick up because local people would use 16th more.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #991
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ and all the businesses on 16th ave would be in an uproar.

Also need to take into consideration that the long term plan is to connect the se and sw lrt lines along 22x. So the number one highway would run beside that? Wierd.
Like all those wonderful lube shops? 16th Avenue needs to transition into something completely different than what it is now.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #992
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm talking about having the S line go east, become the SE line, and head back downtown. Might even be a good idea to start with the connection (i.e. go from Somerset to McKenzie, then build to downtown). Problem would be you'd need the downtown subway then.
I think you should just stick to your bubble in the core. A train from Somerset to McKenzie would cost an absolute fortune and serve almost no useful purpose.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #993
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think you should just stick to your bubble in the core. A train from Somerset to McKenzie would cost an absolute fortune and serve almost no useful purpose.
Pfft, I've lived in the South too you know.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #994
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and who would pay for this?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #995
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you thinking of this?

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca.../SWRR36DFT.pdf
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #996
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are some large pipelines that run along the south side of 22x.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #997
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pfft, I've lived in the South too you know.
I just think its amusing that someone who is constantly complaining about the cost of the suburbs is now suggesting we build a 10km LRT line for no real reason. Somerset residents don't need a train to get to Mckenzie Towne and People living there don't need to come to Somerset by train either.

Anyway, its a giant moot point. It would cost an absolute fortune to go through the river valley and miss the two golf courses and fish creek park there, and basically for no net gain for anyone.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #998
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I just think its amusing that someone who is constantly complaining about the cost of the suburbs is now suggesting we build a 10km LRT line for no real reason. Somerset residents don't need a train to get to Mckenzie Towne and People living there don't need to come to Somerset by train either.
I'm not suggesting we build it now! It's not really to connect Mckenzie to Somerset either... it's to connect Mckenzie to Chinook and Somerset to the industrial park/Quarry Park. Basically, I just feel that an all-spoke, no wheel system is suboptimum for a long-term plan.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #999
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ i see what your saying. I agree it is a good idea for the long term. Having the train along 22x would act as an excellent collector of about 10 communities. The costs wouldn't be as big as the se line since the land is there. They would also save a lot on bus routes since they could be significantly reduced.

For now though, there are many other lines that need attention first.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #1000
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootenbeeten View Post
I feel the whole design of suburban areas to be a mess and don't understand the need for every person to have a car. Some intelligent design and we wouldn't force every person in the city to spend a pile of cash on some obsolete piece of technology.
Yes, those old obsolete automobiles. It's only a matter of time before car dealerships start going the way of music stores.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote