Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #301
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not sure if it’s true or what the source is, but on the HF Sens board they are saying the extension has a NMC for all 8 years!?
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #302
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How can you sign with a club you aren't yet familiar with, in a city you don't know well for 8 years with a no movement clause?

You'd think he'd check things out a bit first. Maybe a condition of the trade.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #303
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Also 9.5 in a state with no income tax, likely would have been at least a little bit more in Calgary

They pay income tax in every state and province they play in.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #304
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
They pay income tax in every state and province they play in.
Only if those jurisdictions have income tax. And he'd play all his home games in a state with no income tax.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #305
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it’s a non resident tax in the states other than where he lives which has certain advantages.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 AM   #306
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
How can you sign with a club you aren't yet familiar with, in a city you don't know well for 8 years with a no movement clause?

He's got 76M reasons to sign
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 01:59 AM   #307
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

He’s got the ability to waive it/pick what teams he moves to. This way he can save himself from Winnipeg.. Or if he wants to ride out 8 years in Sin City he can do so.

It’s not like he’s joining some secret cult lol.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #308
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100304057724395520
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #309
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

76M...just about an entire years salary cap....for a winger.

Would have probably had to be more to sign in Calgary to make the take home more equal.

He would have helped this team in an area that isn't a problem at this point offensively, and in an area it could use some help in team defense.

All at the cost of what looks to be Gio's replacement, another roster player and yes another 1st rd pick since the Flames don't hold a 2nd.

So glad he isn't a Flame today as the cost and what he would do to the salary structure and possible chemistry of the team would have been atrocious.

Or maybe he becomes Gordie Howe part 2, because that is what would be needed to make it worthwhile.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #310
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not kid ourselves, we are definitely welcome to be dissapointed Stone didn't come here. I get excited about rumours of talent coming to Calgary all the time, but Stone's fit would have developed the most defensively responsible lines in the NHL... that you'd still hate having in your own end.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Stone

It would have been lethal, and teams would have fits trying to get offensive time. That line out against teams' top lines would have been something we appreciated over and over.

However, it just boiled down to affording it. I think Treliving sees Stone more in the $8M range and likely believed a deal like that could be made in a vacuum. The noise around him and the $10.5M offer from the Sens muddied the waters, but from here to the summer I'm sure that the deal Treliving wanted could have been worked out.

But, with Valimaki as the piece... it was too much of a risk to get things done. With Tkachuk in the mix as well, the possibility everything blew up was there and Valimaki would be a long-term reminder of price-too-high.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Tre is very disappointed too. This would have been an amazing piece for this team.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #311
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames were dealing from a position of strength. Stone would have been an amazing add, and if you can get him at a tolerable price, you find a way to make the cap work. That would have been difficult, and would have caused some sacrificing in other areas, but they would have figured it out.

But you can't get too wrapped up in the want, and end up overpaying for it. Valimaki is a huge piece to give up. And you're probably still trading Brodie to make the cap work. Suddenly Andersson and Kylington are both in your top 5, and you can't afford to add.

I was excited at the idea of Stone, or even a Hayes type acquisition, but I am glad they didn't overpay. For those that think yesterday was a failure, I strongly disagree. There are a few benefits of (essentially) standing pat:

1) we still have all our prospects and young D
2) we still have our first for this draft
3) we have very little playoff experience, and letting these guys go to battle is going to tell us a lot about them.
4) we have great chemistry, and that wasn't tinkered with
5) of all the contending teams, the Flames have the youngest core. We'll be back for the next few years. And when we are, we'll have a better idea of what our holes are, and we'll still have some assets with which to use to go fill them.

Considering where the Flames are in their growth cycle, standing pat is not a bad strategy at all. We have retained a lot of trading chips for the future. And there is still a lot of future with this core.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #312
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at this trade and i don't think Flames were ever that close to acquiring him. They wouldn't give up Valamaki ( as they shouldn't) and i see little chance they were going to pay him the kind of money he was wanting .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #313
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking more about this trade today and there is a lot not to like.

Vegas got themselves a great player but at a huge cap hit for a winger who although is absolutely one of the best wingers in the NHL , is not a game breaker IMO.

Senators didn't really score huge with the package they received. No 1st rounder,a decent prospect and a good young player who looks to be a solid NHLer. I thought they would have received more.

Stone is the big winner here no doubt. And Vegas I suppose, until they start to feel the effects of the cap hit and the young players/picks they have given up.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #314
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
That is awesome. Does this stuff happen in any other market?

Vegas is very good for the NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #315
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

That contract is going to be a debacle of monumental proportions before its midpoint.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #316
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is awesome. Does this stuff happen in any other market?

Vegas is very good for the NHL.

There is no other market like Vegas. The way they think/do things in that city for almost everything is unique and always over the top.

I keep getting told that it is a must see thing to go to a game and experience the whole "in game" aspect.

Mind you it will pale in comparison to what they roll out once the NFL arrives in a year or so, but still worth it from many i have talked with who have done it. Im sure there are a bunch on here who will concur.

I love Vegas but am not the "stay on the strip" guy most people prefer, and a sporting event would be low on my list of things to do. This has changed that and Im hoping to catch a game there next season. (Hopefully the Flames of course)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #317
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Mark Stone (8yrs, ~$9.5mil AAV) to Vegas for Erik Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2020 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
...Mind you it will pale in comparison to what they roll out once the NFL arrives in a year or so, but still worth it from many i have talked with who have done it. Im sure there are a bunch on here who will concur...
I have a soft spot for VGK, and with how successful they have been in their brief existence I also find myself hoping that LV’s NFL team is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-26-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #318
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is no other market like Vegas. The way they think/do things in that city for almost everything is unique and always over the top.

I keep getting told that it is a must see thing to go to a game and experience the whole "in game" aspect.

Mind you it will pale in comparison to what they roll out once the NFL arrives in a year or so, but still worth it from many i have talked with who have done it. Im sure there are a bunch on here who will concur.

I love Vegas but am not the "stay on the strip" guy most people prefer, and a sporting event would be low on my list of things to do. This has changed that and Im hoping to catch a game there next season. (Hopefully the Flames of course)
NFL will be huge but as an experience it'll have some disadvantages. T-Mobile is right on the strip - you can walk with your beer, sit in the Parq, gamble - whatever. to game time, then stroll in (their access is great). And the pre-game show stuff is great in an arena. Not sure how it will play out in a stadium.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #319
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have a soft spot for VGK, and with how successful they have been in their brief existence I also find myself hoping that LV’s NFL team is awful.

Well yeah.

I mean they will still be the ugliest, smelliest, grossest, team in pro sports cause they are still the Raiders, and that kind of stink doesn't wear off even with relocation.

Just ask Los Angeles.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #320
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
NFL will be huge but as an experience it'll have some disadvantages. T-Mobile is right on the strip - you can walk with your beer, sit in the Parq, gamble - whatever. to game time, then stroll in (their access is great). And the pre-game show stuff is great in an arena. Not sure how it will play out in a stadium.
yeah that makes sense, it will always be more intimate in a hockey arena though, no matter where you go.

But when the NFL comes, get ready for everything to be...BIG..over the top stuff im guessing.

And even then, wait til they start hosting Super Bowls....that city will be absolutely bananas.