Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #241
BigDogg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Really excited to see how that new feature handles. Even if it's not great to start, it's one little step towards more realism.
BigDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #242
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
So a new feature got added thanks to community day feedback. (To prove developers do listen to what goes on there)

Defenders have a new tool.

You can now chop the puck away when battling for it.
hey man, do you know if they're going to bring back the ability to line match this year??

not sure why it was taken out last year.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #243
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if i remember right trade in for a pre-order of nhl 12 wasn't too bad last year either (though i never took advantage of it)
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #244
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
I have no idea why they bumped it up. Your assumption is probably a good guess.
yeah i just never remember seeing any info on why they did it, so wasnt sure if maybe you had seen anything...
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #245
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not looking forward to chopping the puck over the glass for a penalty.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #246
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

BigDogg, I love the "paint splatter" effect on the covers. I'm in no way good at photoshop, but what kind of brush is that you're using to get that effect?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #247
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Awesome stuff BigDogg, thanks for the Kipper.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #248
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd love for them to add more PP and SH units.. I mean, how hard could that be? I hate only having 2 SH units... guys get tired so quickly.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #249
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestalker View Post
I'd love for them to add more PP and SH units.. I mean, how hard could that be? I hate only having 2 SH units... guys get tired so quickly.
excellent point! i know for the wings, they would regularly roll 3 forward units on the pk to keep guys fresh.

also, one thing i wish they would do is when there is an injury or you want to swap out a player, you could just go to 1 screen and flip the players instead of having to edit the lines and replace the player in like 5 different places.

it works that way if a guy has a minor injury there is that screen before you start a game that asks if you want to substitute. its so much quicker that way.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #250
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #251
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I feel like its going to be really easy to abuse the new skating system, the players seem so much faster then the defense and when it was showing some of the backwards skating its like those forwards go identical or faster speed to when they are forward. Game looks good to me though, just hope they didn't over due the speed portion.
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #252
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
I feel like its going to be really easy to abuse the new skating system, the players seem so much faster then the defense and when it was showing some of the backwards skating its like those forwards go identical or faster speed to when they are forward. Game looks good to me though, just hope they didn't over due the speed portion.
Keep in mind this is likely on the pro skill level, and probably default play style. Online games would play on a higher skill level and normal play style. So skating should be a bit more heavy than seen in this video.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #253
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

in ability to stop the figure skaters forced me to stop playing online (only like online vs) since nhl 2011.

Now with enhanced skating, my biggest fear is that the need to pass is further depleted it in the game.

Watching that video, it looks like a cool game, but i wish they had done some enhancing to the puck control/physics. I'm sure i'm going to get to see guys like Parros dangling and making datsyukian moves with that backskating stuff.

There's maybe 3-5 players on any nhl team that are able actually do anything with the puck at high speeds in traffic, but I have a feeling the game will not be indicative of that...
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #254
BigDogg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
BigDogg, I love the "paint splatter" effect on the covers. I'm in no way good at photoshop, but what kind of brush is that you're using to get that effect?
The paint splatters are part of the template I acquired. I reposition and colourize them based on the player image, sometimes even warping the shapes to create a nice contour to the players shape.

If those who may be interested in creating their own covers here and the links to download the templates. Please not that I was not the original creator of the template, it was passed onto me from another source. That being said I have made certain modifications including making a PS3 version and making changing colours of the paint splatters more streamlined.

If you're wondering why there are "small" versions for each the answer is that the original template is huge and is really only practical for professional prints, it's also incredibly difficult to find images with a high enough quality to make at that scale, so far I've only had 3 or 4 I could do at the original size. Therefore I took the original and scaled it down by 50% and it has worked wonders and will still look good on a print.

If anyone has any troubles, questions, in need of tips don't hesitate to PM me. I may also drop my entire player cut library on Dropbox to be available for download (if it'll fit )

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93182331/NH...0-Template.psd
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93182331/NH...late-Small.psd
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93182331/NH...3-Template.psd
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93182331/NH...late-Small.psd

In the spirit of keeping this thread focused on the game I'll create a new thread in the images forum where I'll post all current and any new covers.

Last edited by BigDogg; 07-21-2012 at 06:37 PM.
BigDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigDogg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #255
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Vintage Wideman in that video...

The game looks really fun and some of the new features, especially the hockey IQ, look really neat. I'm hoping that some of the easy goal moves have been removed. It'll make multiplayer games much more fun.

Last edited by Meelapo; 07-22-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #256
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I normally play Be A GM, I just hope my computer teammates aren't stupid as hell anymore.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #257
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like some of the new goalie animations but altogether the game doesnt really seem vastly different. Some of that backwards skating seems to happen in unnatural circumstances and looks strange.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #258
Diverce
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Game looks dope.

Also, I'm sure the setting is on pro and default so not throwing to much into it but the goalies look like they really want to over anticipate leaving the short side open, they don't really trust the backside help. I do like the new skating, although the first step does seem a little odd looking to me at times, don't know if the players go right into the one hand push puck thing automatically or it's going to be like the last couple of years where you press the L3 button. The game does look like it's trending in the right direction though. Either way I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the demo so I can make a more informed decision.

Last edited by Diverce; 07-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Diverce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #259
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Love the chop. Love it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #260
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the new goalie animations, the ability for goalies to move individual limbs instead of just the base animations is a much needed addition.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ea sports , nhl 13 , video game