Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #481
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm not sure if $11.5M is the real tax equivalent or not. I suspect guys like Burke and other NHL analysts who are referencing this number don't have a firm grasp at all the tax nuances, and different tax breaks that can be utilized. Regardless, I'm guessing it would still be around the 10M range to get the equivalent amount.
Completely agree, and I really think tax stuff is way overblown. I have no idea how health benefits work for players' families, but I would imagine they are paying for a plan 100% out of pocket (obviously a player's physical health is of utmost importance to a team, but I'm not even sure the team would even be the ones paying the bills for issues less related to kinesiology (from mental health to appendicitis to cancer)? That should all be part of the CBA, so I'm sure someone can correct me if wrong?

Obviously residency plays a big role in all of this. Maybe you'd prefer to send your kids to public schools - chances are they are a lot better in jurisdictions with higher tax

Tons of other things like housing costs, traffic, safety, weather, family, friends, endorsements, etc. can really balance out the tax differences. Everyone values things differently, but even the most financially minded people are more concerned with how their balance looks at the end of the month when everything else has been accounted for.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #482
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Completely agree, and I really think tax stuff is way overblown. I have no idea how health benefits work for players' families, but I would imagine they are paying for a plan 100% out of pocket (obviously a player's physical health is of utmost importance to a team, but I'm not even sure the team would even be the ones paying the bills for issues less related to kinesiology (from mental health to appendicitis to cancer)? That should all be part of the CBA, so I'm sure someone can correct me if wrong?

Obviously residency plays a big role in all of this. Maybe you'd prefer to send your kids to public schools - chances are they are a lot better in jurisdictions with higher tax

Tons of other things like housing costs, traffic, safety, weather, family, friends, endorsements, etc. can really balance out the tax differences. Everyone values things differently, but even the most financially minded people are more concerned with how their balance looks at the end of the month when everything else has been accounted for.
I don't think taxes are overblown at all. It's a direct hit to their total income and easy for them to understand - their agent can simply tell them the difference in take home pay. We know that's very important because of the escrow fuss.

And while I agree that lifestyle plays a role, housing costs and endorsements don't. If real estate is costlier in one area, they make up for it with the sale later on, if they move away after they are done. So it's a non-factor economically. And sadly, for hockey players, endorsements are de minimus. Look at what Sid gets, and those are national endorsements anyway.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #483
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As long as we could have signed Stone I still think I would have given up Valimaki for me. I honestly think we would be right there with Tampa as a cup favorite.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #484
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

In other news, Wayne Simmonds has zero goals and one assist in the eight games since he was traded to Nashville. He has an awful 46% Corsi despite getting 65% offensive zone starts.

He's a guy who's declining hard. Very happy the Flames didn't go there.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #485
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
In other news, Wayne Simmonds has zero goals and one assist in the eight games since he was traded to Nashville. He has an awful 46% Corsi despite getting 65% offensive zone starts.

Yeah was very much getting propped up by decent line mates, and PP time in Philly.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #486
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah he's had some down times over his career but that happens whey you play for a very long time. He's accomplished far more than Carey Price over his NHL career and I said it with Vernon and I will say it again; Any goaltender that wins a Stanley Cup and makes multiple trips to the Stanley Cup finals as a starter with different teams is a really good goaltender. You may get lucky one season on one team that goes on a run but the Stanley Cup is to hard to win and no goaltender lucks himself into multiple SC final appearances with different teams nonetheless.
1986 CGY L
1989 CGY W
1995 DET L
1997 DET W

Hmmmmm. You may have persuaded me to change my opinion of Vernon.

Is he HHOF worthy?
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #487
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think taxes are overblown at all. It's a direct hit to their total income and easy for them to understand - their agent can simply tell them the difference in take home pay. We know that's very important because of the escrow fuss.

And while I agree that lifestyle plays a role, housing costs and endorsements don't. If real estate is costlier in one area, they make up for it with the sale later on, if they move away after they are done. So it's a non-factor economically. And sadly, for hockey players, endorsements are de minimus. Look at what Sid gets, and those are national endorsements anyway.
I don't doubt that there's a difference in tax rate, I just don't trust a hockey analyst or a hockey blogger to accurately reflect what the actual tax differences are. They just look up personal tax rates on-line and calculate it straight. There's a reason why you get an actual tax accountant to do your taxes when it's that complex. I'm guessing most hockey players aren't using Turbotax to file their returns.

And then you have to also take into consideration the other types of taxes, like user fees and municipal taxes.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 03-19-2019 at 09:29 AM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #488
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

And yet some people were really pi$$3d off that we didn't get him.

Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #489
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
As long as we could have signed Stone I still think I would have given up Valimaki for me. I honestly think we would be right there with Tampa as a cup favorite.
me too. although, if the ask was going to be 11+ aav it was never on the cards. I would have moved heaven and earth for anything under 10 aav though. the guy is a beast.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #490
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
1986 CGY L
1989 CGY W
1995 DET L
1997 DET W

Hmmmmm. You may have persuaded me to change my opinion of Vernon.

Is he HHOF worthy?
and losses were to Roy and Brodeur I believe
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #491
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
me too. although, if the ask was going to be 11+ aav it was never on the cards. I would have moved heaven and earth for anything under 10 aav though. the guy is a beast.
If the Flames end up facing VGK in the playoffs, the 3M line is going to make Mark Stone their bitch. He looked hopelessly lost in the Calgary game on 10 March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #492
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If the Flames end up facing VGK in the playoffs, the 3M line is going to make Mark Stone their bitch. He looked hopelessly lost in the Calgary game on 10 March.
I hope you are right!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #493
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

lol
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #494
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Although the second sentence is technically correct (the best kind of correct), it does not mean he projects to be lost in the playoffs. Players take time to adjust to new teams. Remember Hamilton’s first 20? Horrifying.

I am still, however, fine with the sentiment of the first sentence. They probably would have to work for it.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #495
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

there's a lot of arrogance in here and indifference to a team that actually looked hugely improved from when we met them earlier in the season.

Fleury alone is reason to be weary of the Knights in the playoffs.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #496
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
there's a lot of arrogance in here and indifference to a team that actually looked hugely improved from when we met them earlier in the season.

If Fleury was in net last time we played them they have a decent shot of winning that game
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #497
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

Is that any worse than the panic and defeatism of posters here rambling on and on that Vegas is unstoppable and is now the best team in the western conference? I’d rather support the poster who actually has some confidence about the team they cheer for.

Yes Stone is a great player and Fleury is better than our goalies but last I checked several things still held. Our defense (especially third line) is better, our first line is better and our fourth line is likely better. They probably have a more narrow gap between their 1/2 lines than us and their third line is better but it’s not like we are awful there. Plus in any matchup we will have home ice advantage.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #498
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Having been in America for the past few days, you could not pay me enough to live here.

Canada ####ing rocks
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #499
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Love the confidence.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #500
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any objective observer knows a first round series is a coin toss. I bet the betting world has us as dogs if we do finish second.

Edit: not dogs. But a push. With home ice.

Winning the division is massive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post: