Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
How did Jobs rip off Woz? I assume that’s who you’re talking about, if not ignore the rest...

but read Woz’s biography - dude wanted to sit around doing nothing more than build calculators at HP. Were it not for Jobs he wouldn’t have applied his talents to anything of consequence in the emerging PC world, made his fortune etc. Oh, should we mention he then left Apple to go build remotes...remotes! It was Job’s then ensured Woz was kept on the payroll and holds an honorary position at Apple complete with pay to this day.

I don’t think anyone ripped anyone off, but I do think one of them (Jobs) was an aggressive, expansionist businessman, the other was mostly interested in playing around with electronics and remaining a humble engineer. It was natural that one of them was going to end up monetarily more successful There is zero malice attributed towards Jobs in Woz’s biography.
Yeah, I have no clue where this story of Jobs ripping off Woz comes from. Just chalk it up as a baseless rant imo.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

As told by Nolan Bushnell, in their early days, Jobs was once offered a project for Atari. He told Wozniak to do it and that they would split the money. Wozniak did all the work and Jobs was paid $5000. He lied to Wozniak and said the payment was only $700 so Wozniak recieved $350 for doing all the work and Jobs pocketed $4650 without telling his friend.

Wozniak has been asked about this in interviews about this and said that the past is behind them and they are friends and did dumb things when they are young. Yes it's chump change but I just see this as an indication of Job's real character and have never liked his personality.

Hey, I'm free to hate the guy as much as some people hate other successful businessmen/politicians/what have you. I just don't see him as a hero or anyone to look up to or to celebrated in adoring documentaries. You are free to do so if you want to and it makes you happy inside. It's like how millions might love Michael Jackson but others will only think of him a pedophile whether there is truth to that or not.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-17-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha...so Jobs is a prick because your mom doesn’t back up the data on her iPhone. I love it
It was a rebuttal in context of silentsim's post which was a general statement about Apple, the Apple Store service (which sucked for my own personal limited experiences but may have been awesome for you), Dell, etc. and seemed to have no relation to my original post or this thread which is about Steve Jobs.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-17-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #24
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
As told by Nolan Bushnell, in their early days, Jobs was once offered a project for Atari. He told Wozniak to do it and that they would split the money. Wozniak did all the work and Jobs was paid $5000. He lied to Wozniak and said the payment was only $700 so Wozniak recieved $350 for doing all the work and Jobs pocketed $4650 without telling his friend.

Wozniak has been asked about this in interviews about this and said that the past is behind them and they are friends and did dumb things when they are young. Yes it's chump change but I just see this as an indication of Job's real character and have never liked his personality.

Hey, I'm free to hate the guy as much as some people hate other successful businessmen/politicians/what have you. I just don't see him as a hero or anyone to look up to or to celebrated in adoring documentaries. You are free to do so if you want to and it makes you happy inside. It's like how millions might love Michael Jackson but others will only think of him a pedophile whether there is truth to that or not.
Ah, I forgot about that Atari thing. I think they were teens when that happened, not that it really excuses the behavior, but it does sound like something a teenager would do when it comes to what was a large sum of money for them.

Mostly I’m glad that Jobs is a driven, egotistical, perfectionist control freak, so I don’t have to be I get products that fit my usage requirements and general aesthetic in hardware and software design, someone else gets to take the rap for the personality flaws that assist in bringing those products to market.

Same could be said for MS - Bill Gates, through his monopolistic practices, helped deliver a level of homogeneity that makes delivering business solutions pretty easy. Since it’s all MS product for the most part, it works together pretty well. Massive hardware and vendor support occurs because its now the de facto standard.

I definitely don’t think I’d get along with Jobs, but I don’t really have that strong a personal opinion about him one way or the other.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, I forgot about that Atari thing. I think they were teens when that happened, not that it really excuses the behavior, but it does sound like something a teenager would do when it comes to what was a large sum of money for them.

Mostly I’m glad that Jobs is a driven, egotistical, perfectionist control freak, so I don’t have to be I get products that fit my usage requirements and general aesthetic in hardware and software design, someone else gets to take the rap for the personality flaws that assist in bringing those products to market.

Same could be said for MS - Bill Gates, through his monopolistic practices, helped deliver a level of homogeneity that makes delivering business solutions pretty easy. Since it’s all MS product for the most part, it works together pretty well. Massive hardware and vendor support occurs because its now the de facto standard.

I definitely don’t think I’d get along with Jobs, but I don’t really have that strong a personal opinion about him one way or the other.
Exactly.

I think some people here need to start separating personal from business. The guy's a friggin genius at what he does, and I really couldn't care less about anything else.

I don't study him because I want to learn how to be a better person, I do it because I want to learn how to be a better businessman. I have parents, friends, peers and a mirror for everything else.

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-17-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think some people here need to start separating personal from business. The guy's a friggin genius at what he does, and I really couldn't care less about anything else.
It’s like rating a neurosurgeon on their bedside manner. I don’t much care - that’s not what I need you for.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
It’s like rating a neurosurgeon on their bedside manner. I don’t much care - that’s not what I need you for.
"Do you want a doctor that holds your hand while you die, or one that ignores you while you get better?" - Dr. House
Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #28
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
"Do you want a doctor that holds your hand while you die, or one that ignores you while you get better?" - Dr. House
No I want 13 any which way.

We can have diverging respect for Steve Jobs but Hugh Laurie is one of my real heroes for being a brilliant self-taught musician and battling with depression aside from what everybody else knows about him.