Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #2741
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I'll be glad when its over to be honest, I think there should be a moritorium on political discussions after the election until after the long weekend

:P

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #2742
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not that it matters because polls are never accurate, but Mainstreet's latest poll (conducted April 14th) has the NDP and and the UCP in a near statistical tie for Calgary. The NDP would lead in the popular vote for the combined Calgary/Edmonton results if one were to look at it that way. Of course, it comes down to rural ridings that will carry the UCP through to their victory.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4063...Ab-15april2019

Shouldn't put too much stock into this so since it's Mainstreet, but I have noticed that the various polls in the last month have not shown the absolute dominance some thought would be the case.
What's really interesting here is that Mainstreet is a major outlier. They have the same overall provincial numbers, but for Calgary alone, everyone else has the Conservatives 10-15 points up.

So if they are right about Calgary, they are going to come out looking like geniuses. If they are wrong, then Quito Maggi might as well just fold up shop, because Mainstreet's reputation will pretty much be permanently trashed.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #2743
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Goodbye NDP government.

You will not be missed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #2744
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I for one am very glad the day is finally here. I am so tired of my internet browsing being spammed by NDP ads. Nobody can deny they put a lot of money and effort into getting their ads front and center on YouTube, browser ads, etc.
It's 2019, how are you not using AdBlock?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #2745
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
I for one am very glad the day is finally here. I am so tired of my internet browsing being spammed by NDP ads. Nobody can deny they put a lot of money and effort into getting their ads front and center on YouTube, browser ads, etc.
One of the best things about Canadian elections is how short they are. Can you imagine being in the US and dealing with the same level of wall to wall political coverage and ads... for a presidential election that isn’t until the Fall of 2020?

We get a 35 day or so blitz and that’s mostly it until the next round. It’s very civilized.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #2746
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's 2019, how are you not using AdBlock?
My damn adblock crashes a couple times a day. Nothing makes me more angry then that!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #2747
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
One of the best things about Canadian elections is how short they are. Can you imagine being in the US and dealing with the same level of wall to wall political coverage and ads... for a presidential election that isn’t until the Fall of 2020?

We get a 35 day or so blitz and that’s mostly it until the next round. It’s very civilized.
Yeah well it seems like we've been in a campaign for four years with the results of the last provincial election dominatingf headlines, the UCP merger and leadership race, the federal conservative leadership, the crazy civic election between Nenshi and Smith, and all the stuff leading up to this provincial election.

Now we're going to be listening to all the federal stuff for the next six months, and just when that's over, the Americans are going to start their presidential stuff. Seems like it never ends.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #2748
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ublock is the way.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #2749
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's me but it doesn't mean I am going to put myself ahead of the rest of the province and families that are in the middle of hard times. Everyone has their own priorities and mine isn't about what's best for me. It's what's best for this province and my fellow Albertans.
and I'm one that isn't doing well.
For such a progressive, supposedly fair person, Ozy has no trouble kicking people when they're economically down. what he feels is important trumps what anyone else feels is best for Alberta.

like a week or so ago when he said that to make society more fair and equal it was ok to take even more money from everyone. and if I had trouble making ends meet I could be more frugal or leave the province altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #2750
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
My damn adblock crashes a couple times a day. Nothing makes me more angry then that!
Yeah what Fuzz said. I've been using UBlock for a bit now and it seems better. Either way, I can't imagine still having to watch YouTube ads ever again, when I'm watching my copyright infringed content I don't want ads ruining it.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 04-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #2751
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
and I'm one that isn't doing well.
For such a progressive, supposedly fair person, Ozy has no trouble kicking people when they're economically down. what he feels is important trumps what anyone else feels is best for Alberta.

like a week or so ago when he said that to make society more fair and equal it was ok to take even more money from everyone. and if I had trouble making ends meet I could be more frugal or leave the province altogether.
Can you provide a specific quote? I will respond accordingly and within context of the discussion at the time.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #2752
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
but you love the Strong and Free jingle Kenney has us listen to every commercial during the game right....?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #2753
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I actually shook my head when I read this post.
Good for you, I got multiple thanks so many feel the same way.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #2754
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not that it matters because polls are never accurate, but Mainstreet's latest poll (conducted April 14th) has the NDP and and the UCP in a near statistical tie for Calgary. The NDP would lead in the popular vote for the combined Calgary/Edmonton results if one were to look at it that way. Of course, it comes down to rural ridings that will carry the UCP through to their victory.
I disagree. We know Edmonton will be largely NDP, rural Alberta will go largely UCP. Calgary is the biggest question mark in the province and it will be this city that essentially determines the outcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #2755
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton is no good
Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #2756
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I disagree. We know Edmonton will be largely NDP, rural Alberta will go largely UCP. Calgary is the biggest question mark in the province and it will be this city that essentially determines the outcome.
Calgary is a wild card; it doens't carry the UCP's strength. the UCP victory will be carried on the back of rural ridings. If they didn't have that, then they wouldn't have a commanding lead.

The bulk of the lifting for the UCP is done rurally.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #2757
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The bulk of the lifting for the NDP is done in Edmonton. So what's your actual point?

Edmonton and rural saw each other off. For every firm except Mainstreet's last poll, the margin of victory for the UCP is Calgary. They are leading every other poll because those polls say they have a large lead in Calgary.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #2758
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sounds like Shots fired at a Trudeau press conference this morning. I heard it in the background, and i could be mistaken, but Trudeau isn't willing to work with Kenney especially around the carbon tax or equalization.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #2759
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Sure, the margin of victory is Calgary. I am not disputing that at all.

But the bulk of their seats are going to come from rural ridings. If it wasn't for comprehensive support from the rural areas, the UCP would be in trouble. Which they are not. Much like the bulk of the lifting for the NDP is in Edmonton, I agree.

What's to debate here?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #2760
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sounds like Shots fired at a Trudeau press conference this morning. I heard it in the background, and i could be mistaken, but Trudeau isn't willing to work with Kenney especially around the carbon tax or equalization.
Lol. I think that only helps Kenney.