Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #61
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
It's not about this one case. it's about the precedence it sets. Next time it may be someone who is 6'3" 220lb.

I think you know this too but are pretending not to.

Also, as to your other point about suicide rates - the rates dont change if the person undergoes a gender transformation/transition or not. So it would seem that the real help needed is psychological, not physological as you suggested.
You're 100% right about the precedent.
And for all we know the precedent in this case is that the league will review cases on a individual basis and determine if the player in question is legible to play based on their state of transition, size, hormone levels, etc.

But by all means, keep making a slippery slope argument about a situation none of us know anything about.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #62
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
You're right, you shouldn't have to refer to anyone in the manner they would prefer.
However, having even the slightest bit of common courtesy would dictate that it takes absolutely zero effort on your part to address someone as they prefer/have asked to be addressed. Zero effort on your part can avoid a lot of annoyance, embarrassment, or anger from someone else.

As for your idea of respect, you're right. We shouldn't have any respect for people we don't know. They aren't people, we don't need to show them any respect until they've proven they deserve it.
Why should we go out of our way to be courteous, mindful or respectful of people we don't know? It'd take zero effort, but they haven't earned even that.

Also you still haven't answered my question about who is forcing you to use language you don't believe in.
Clearly it's happening a lot if you are so up in arms about it.
It is your opinion that it doesn't take any effort to know 60 whatever different pro nouns. And even if this one thing isn't particularly hard I disagree with the ideology behind it, therefore should not be forced by law to do so. The legislation being presented in regards to this issue is a free speech issue. It just is not a path I want our society to be set down on.

The question about forcing is in regards to the legislation trying to be passed where someone can be held criminally responsible if they do not use someone pro nouns and have it regarded as hate speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93NCyV5Hws&t=3s
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #63
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
. . . put it in the hands of the players.
Letting the players decide could result in policies that are unfairly exclusionary (and likely would, based on how transgender women have been perceived in other sports). You either say that this is a moral decision, and let the scientists and ethicists sort it out, or you say that it's an economic one for the league and let consumers dictate their choice.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #64
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
And for all we know the precedent in this case is that the league will review cases on a individual basis and determine if the player in question is legible to play based on their state of transition, size, hormone levels, etc.

But by all means, keep making a slippery slope argument about a situation none of us know anything about.
You aren't even arguing the discussion at hand at this point. You are are just arguing to argue it seems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #65
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transitioning between genders is a tough process and no one is going to do it intentionally in order to dominate the CWHL, a league that no one on this site has ever thought about until this thread.

I say, as long as the league doesn't allow body checking or fighting, let her play.

Last edited by Geeoff; 01-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #66
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
It is your opinion that it doesn't take any effort to know 60 whatever different pro nouns. And even if this one thing isn't particularly hard I disagree with the ideology behind it, therefore should not be forced by law to do so. The legislation being presented in regards to this issue is a free speech issue. It just is not a path I want our society to be set down on.

The question about forcing is in regards to the legislation trying to be passed where someone can be held criminally responsible if they do not use someone pro nouns and have it regarded as hate speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93NCyV5Hws&t=3s
What legislation is this?
What bill is this?
I'm not going to watch a youtube video, I would like to see this legislation that you describe.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #67
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not about this one case. it's about the precedence it sets. Next time it may be someone who is 6'3" 220lb.

I think you know this too but are pretending not to.

Also, as to your other point about suicide rates - the rates dont change if the person undergoes a gender transformation/transition or not. So it would seem that the real help needed is psychological, not physological as you suggested.
I said nothing of the sort.
What I said was that trying to help people was the preferable option.
This was in response to a post saying the poster thought it was sick that we are recognizing a "mental" disorder, because "Science".
Apparently psychologists don't do science.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #68
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Transitioning between genders sucks and no one is going to do it intentionally in order to dominate the CWHL, a league that no one on this site has ever thought about until this thread.

I say, as long as the league doesn't allow body checking or fighting, let her play.
"him" play
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #69
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
You aren't even arguing the discussion at hand at this point. You are are just arguing to argue it seems.
No I'm pointing out that a lot of people seem to be up in arms with little to no information.

That post in particular was pointing out that everyone was saying this sets a precedent, and yes, it sure does, but none of us know the details of what that precedent is.
There are a lot of people outraged about a scenario they've totally made up.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #70
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

....what? Come on this cannot possibly be your rebuttle? Yah the precedence is that they’ll form a transgender review board to determine if the person is small enough to not physically dominate the other competition. Hahaha
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #71
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Allow the most respected man in science Bill Nye explain sexuality from a strictly scientific perspective.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #72
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What bill is this?
I'm not going to watch a youtube video, I would like to see this legislation that you describe.
Canada passed a law Thursday making it illegal to use the wrong gender pronouns. Critics say that Canadians who do not subscribe to progressive gender theory could be accused of hate crimes, jailed, fined, and made to take anti-bias training.
Canada’s Senate passed Bill C-16, which puts “gender identity” and “gender expression” into both the country’s Human Rights Code, as well as the hate crime category of its Criminal Code by a vote of 67-11
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #73
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"him" play

Guy complains that he is being forced to go out of his way to call people by their preferred pronouns, despite being asked but never answering when this actually happens.
Guy actively goes out of his way to refer to someone by the pronoun they have explicitly asked not to be called by.

And that's the kind of openness we love to foster here on Calgary Puck.

We are an non-inclusive environment that doesn't foster acceptance of those who are different than us, especially the most vulnerable members of society, and we actively display hostility towards those things we have decided are unnatural or icky!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #74
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What bill is this?
In my experience, if you click videos like this, your recommended videos get filled with people complaining about diverse characters in Marvel comic books.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #75
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I said nothing of the sort.
What I said was that trying to help people was the preferable option.
This was in response to a post saying the poster thought it was sick that we are recognizing a "mental" disorder, because "Science".
Apparently psychologists don't do science.
I didn't say it should not be recognized. My point was it is sick how the mainstream media promotes the ways to deal with it. It should be treated the same as any other mental health disorder not with surgery. At least it shouldn't be pushed that way. If someone want to pay for their own surgery and they truly think that will make them happier by all means. But the evidence suggests that they are in fact no happier after transitioning.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #76
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Allow the most respected man in science Bill Nye explain sexuality from a strictly scientific perspective.
I hope this is sarcasm...?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #77
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Guy complains that he is being forced to go out of his way to call people by their preferred pronouns, despite being asked but never answering when this actually happens.
Guy actively goes out of his way to refer to someone by the pronoun they have explicitly asked not to be called by.

And that's the kind of openness we love to foster here on Calgary Puck.

We are an non-inclusive environment that doesn't foster acceptance of those who are different than us, especially the most vulnerable members of society, and we actively display hostility towards those things we have decided are unnatural or icky!
Sorry, I forgot to add "scientifically speaking"

And I told you how, Bill C-16
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #78
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I hope this is sarcasm...?
Yes, and much much more. Political ideology is more and more replacing actual science. At this point there may be no stopping it until society collapses completely under the weight of identity politics.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #79
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada passed a law Thursday making it illegal to use the wrong gender pronouns. Critics say that Canadians who do not subscribe to progressive gender theory could be accused of hate crimes, jailed, fined, and made to take anti-bias training.
Canada’s Senate passed Bill C-16, which puts “gender identity” and “gender expression” into both the country’s Human Rights Code, as well as the hate crime category of its Criminal Code by a vote of 67-11
Recognizing a vulnerable group needs protection from hate speech is a long way from people being jailed for using incorrect pronouns. If you actually think that an ordinary citizen can/will be charged under that law because they refused to refer to someone in their office by their chosen pronoun you have an incredible misunderstanding about what constitutes hate propaganda.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #80
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Yes, and much much more. Political ideology is more and more replacing actual science. At this point there may be no stopping it until society collapses completely under the weight of identity politics.
I couldn't see the thing you posted but I assume it was from his new series on Netflix. Whereas Netflix has removed the part which explains real science from his old show explaining X and Y chromosomes.
Closed Thread