Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #121
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Corey Pronman‏ @coreypronman
USA WJC coach Motzko on CGY's Adam Fox, "He's taken his game to a whole other level."
Corey Pronman‏ @coreypronman
Between Fox and Valimaki's strong showing, and Kylington's strong WJC last season, CGY fans should be optimistic about their young defense.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #122
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #123
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
There might be some reason to be concerned. People who go to Ivy League schools (Harvard, Yale) don't get athletic scholarships... they are paying to be in school. Guys like this may want to see the whole college thing through to the end (Agostino, Vesey). It probably doesn't help that we don't have an obvious NHL spot with Fox' name on it.
They seem to get around that and still provide assistance.

Quote:
Yes, the Ivy League cannot offer athletic scholarships, but this does not mean that they can’t provide financial aid. In fact, all of the Ivys have a blind admissions/financial aid process, which benefits the student athlete in question. Having a blind admissions/financial aid process means that Ivy admission offices will not consider a students financial situation when the student is looked at to be admitted or not. If the admissions office decides to admit the student, the college will provide any financial aid to the student on the basis of need determined by each institution. This financial process is for ALL students, not just athletes. This benefits Ivy athletes because if an Ivy athlete decides not to play sports anymore, the student will still receive financial aid, whereas the scholarship is taken away at other DI schools if the athlete quits.

https://new.berecruited.com/resource...uiting-process
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #124
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worst case scenario we have more nhl dmen than spots and trade one for help up front. Probably around the same time Frolik's contract comes up.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have not jumped on board the Fox train to date because so few small defensemen ever make an impact in the NHL.

However, he is looking pretty good in these games, and if he takes another step forward this year, like he is currently hinting at, I will definitely start getting on board.

Watching him, Valimaki, Phillips (who I also can't take too seriously yet) and Dube, has been quite enjoyable this week.

Kylington - Andersson
Valimaki - Fox

That is a pretty stacked prospect base for a team that already has one of the 4 best young D cores in the NHL
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #126
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish Phillips all the success. Him and his family are awesome.

Making the NHL is the ultimate goal, but people often forget how hard it is to even get to the point that he is at. It's quite an accomplishment.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #127
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
That's also over 25 years ago. It's a completely different league now in a variety of ways.
Really, I thought it was exactly the same.

Seriously, size was still important then, especially when Calgary was in the midst of the serious war with Edmonton. There's a reason Fleury, one of the most talented players ever, was drafted where he was, just like Gaudreau.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #128
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Smaller, skilled and speedy teams have won cups. Big and tough teams have won cups.

The only constant is goaltending with regards to the two types of teams.

You only go as far as goalting takes you.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #129
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Really, I thought it was exactly the same.

There's a reason Fleury, one of the most talented players ever, was drafted where he was, just like Gaudreau.
And why the Flames won their only cup before Fleury was an integral part of the team. Fleury was not a big game hunter. This team won before he was the centerpiece, and went in the crapper when he became the guy, for obvious reasons. Size matters, no matter what your wife tries to tell you.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #130
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Smaller, skilled and speedy teams have won cups. Big and tough teams have won cups.

The only constant is goaltending with regards to the two types of teams.

You only go as far as goalting takes you.
Agreed goaltending is important. However IMO we've seen some overwhelmingly deep teams winning the cup with average goaltenders including the amazing DET with Osgood/Vernon and the incredibly deep CHI of years past with Crawford, the stacked Penguins with the mediocre Fleury.

If you're an average team you'll need exceptional goaltending to win the cup. If you're one of the deepest teams in the league you may be able to win with average goaltending.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #131
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Agreed goaltending is important. However IMO we've seen some overwhelmingly deep teams winning the cup with average goaltenders including the amazing DET with Osgood/Vernon and the incredibly deep CHI of years past with Crawford, the stacked Penguins with the mediocre Fleury.

If you're an average team you'll need exceptional goaltending to win the cup. If you're one of the deepest teams in the league you may be able to win with average goaltending.
Good point. In fact as I started reading your post I instantly thought of that red wings team. But that team is arguably one of the best in history. I don't think you ever see a deep team like that ever again.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #132
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And why the Flames won their only cup before Fleury was an integral part of the team. Fleury was not a big game hunter. This team won before he was the centerpiece, and went in the crapper when he became the guy, for obvious reasons. Size matters, no matter what your wife tries to tell you.
Loob and especially Mullen were important in the cup run. Even Gilmour was considered a small player.

Size matters, for sure, but you can have more than one little guy, as that team, and others have proven. And the present league has more good small players than the late 80s IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #133
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki has looked good against Sweden. Really solid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #134
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Valimaki has looked good against Sweden. Really solid.
He looks like an NHL defensemen playing with prospects to me. Very poised, and you can see how size and age will have him easily on track for a top four NHL spot.

We've got a really great player out of this draft.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #135
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
He looks like an NHL defensemen playing with prospects to me. Very poised, and you can see how size and age will have him easily on track for a top four NHL spot.

We've got a really great player out of this draft.
Which is why I was suggesting that with a strong showing in camp, Valmaki just might get the 10 game cup of coffee in the show, before being sent down.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #136
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Which is why I was suggesting that with a strong showing in camp, Valmaki just might get the 10 game cup of coffee in the show, before being sent down.
I bet you they skip that just simply because of business, unfortunately. But how awesome would it be if he simply blew everyone away so badly that they said "Okay, he's shown too much, we gotta keep going with him"?.

But yeah, he definitely looks like an NHL ready D-man, at least good enough to stick around and contribute and learn in a bottom pairing role.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #137
jayswin

Exp:

That last goal was all Valimaki, just complete and utter poise on that PP. Started the play at the blueline with a skilled pass down low, then gets it back and just casually backhands to the goal scorer like he was in practice.

He's playing like a men amongst boys this tournament. I don't know how your excitement level for this prospect doesn't grow exponentially from watching this tournament.

edit: Although, I guess most Flames fans aren't watching this tournament on a summer long weekend, which is likely why the lack of excitement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #138
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Dube and Fox will both dress tonight but Phillips will sit out.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #139
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

This SWE v FIN game is great. Tied up 5-5
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #140
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
No.

Tomorrow is final day.

Sweden vs Finland 2pm MT.

and

USA vs Canada 5pm MT.

Games on TSN and NHL Network
So anyone know where to watch the Canada/US game? It doesn't appear to be on TSN and I'm assuming most don't have NHL network.