Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #61
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
No, the statement doesn’t make any sense.

Is everyone assuming the only professional sports team in North America to not host games in their home building is going to be the San Jose Sharks????

Don’t come out with this BS PR comment. Sit down tomorrow with your people and local health officials and try to figure out what you are going to do with your building, and why other places are taking the steps they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
What, exactly, are you expecting here Scroopy? That thousands of Sharks fans in Santa Clara County are going to fly to Saskatoon to watch a game there?

There is currently no cases in Saskatchewan, so at this point, your first, second and third points are irrelevant. The fourth is emotional, and on the fifth, the only travel being promoted is that of the NHL teams, who are already pretty well isolated from the general public.

Suggesting that an NHL game be played in Saskatoon right now is no more or less a bad idea than playing an NHL game in Calgary or Winnipeg is. And I don't see you whining about how the Flames haven't closed the doors for Thursday.
Geez I haven’t even made that many points. What I am expecting I already posted on this page.

My singular point: this guy has no idea why the SAP is closed. My reasoning ends there. I don’t know if it’s the right move to close, but people who make those decisions decided it was. And no, I don’t care if people profit from other businesses.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #62
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resolute, some NHL cities are deciding when to cancel NHL games and Saskatchewan trying to bring some in, it isn't exactly pro-active thinking.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #63
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Swing and a miss again. I can’t keep explaining the same thing.

- The purpose of cancelling events is to reduce spread.
- this is happening world wide
- it’s been a struggle to beat home that message, and will continue to be.
- first to blink in NA was Santa Clara.
- in response, Regina guy promotes travel to Regina for mass gatherings of people.
- it’s again a frustrating display of a complete lack of understanding on what is happening globally.
Not happening in Saskatoon though. That's his point. At this time SK doesn't even have a single positive test.

I get that you don't think its the proper response, but it is most certainly a perfectly legal and business driven one. At least for now. Im not even advocating it should happen but merely that it is perfectly within the confines of what is occurring right now.

Again, if you think every game should be closed to patrons, I get it and dont even necessarily disagree with it. That is entirely on the leagues leadership though. Its not up to a guy (rightly or wrongly) running an arena in Saskatoon to enforce by not trying to bring in business. Its literally, his job to do so.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #64
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not happening in Saskatoon though. That's his point. At this time SK doesn't even have a single positive test.

I get that you don't think its the proper response, but it is most certainly a perfectly legal and business driven one.
Never said otherwise.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #65
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Scroopy - of course that guy knows why SAP is being closed. He also knows why the arena in Saskatoon has not been closed - namely, the disease hasn't got there yet.

CalgaryFan1988 - There is a difference between being prudent in a hot zone and being paranoid in a clear zone. Until the NHL itself decides to suspend play, the games are going to be played somewhere. That said, the games won't be in Saskatoon because it makes no logistical sense.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #66
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No way they play any games in Saskatoon, or even Stockton. It'll either be the Chase Center in San Francisco, or Oakland Arena (former home of the Golden State Warriors, currently sitting without a tenant). There's an outside chance it'll be at the Golden 1 Center, current home of the Sacramento Kings.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #67
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not even a virus wants to go to Saskatchewan.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
What, exactly, are you expecting here Scroopy? That thousands of Sharks fans in Santa Clara County are going to fly to Saskatoon to watch a game there?

There is currently no cases in Saskatchewan, so at this point, your first, second and third points are irrelevant. The fourth is emotional, and on the fifth, the only travel being promoted is that of the NHL teams, who are already pretty well isolated from the general public.

Suggesting that an NHL game be played in Saskatoon right now is no more or less a bad idea than playing an NHL game in Calgary or Winnipeg is. And I don't see you whining about how the Flames haven't closed the doors for Thursday.
It seems obvious that this is precisely the direction we are heading, which is why the "neutral site" suggestion is such a myopic one. With how quickly this is spreading it just seems really foolish to continue tempting fate in flagrant disregard of what we know.

The most responsible thing to do is to play to empty stadiums in an effort to reduce infection. But I expect that will continue to be a very difficult sell with so much money at stake.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #69
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Saskatoon is hosting the Juno's this weekend. Fingers crossed Covid stays away as long as possible.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #70
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the idea of having neutral site games in smaller centers is a bad idea.

The Saskatoon guy could have made his offer privately and not through twitter though. It did seem kind of crass.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #71
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Scroopy - of course that guy knows why SAP is being closed. He also knows why the arena in Saskatoon has not been closed - namely, the disease hasn't got there yet.

CalgaryFan1988 - There is a difference between being prudent in a hot zone and being paranoid in a clear zone. Until the NHL itself decides to suspend play, the games are going to be played somewhere. That said, the games won't be in Saskatoon because it makes no logistical sense.
As you say, "yet".
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #72
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
As you say, "yet".

Exactly.

And as soon as you start bringing in hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people from an area where community spread is happening (San Jose).... guess what will happen in the area that is currently not infected.

This isnt rocket surgery people.

Last edited by rohara66; 03-10-2020 at 12:25 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #73
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Except that that is not what would happen in this hypothetical. Both teams combined would have less than 100 people going - none of whom are even in the area where community spread is happening. None of the impacted teams are even in San Jose or Santa Clara right now. They are also well isolated and under constant observation from team medical professionals.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #74
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Exactly.

And as soon as you start bringing in hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people from an area where community spread is happening (San Jose).... guess what will happen in the area that is currently not infected.

This isnt rocket surgery people.
Well it's a little bit rocket surgery

First of all, it's unlikely THAT many people would actually travel from San Jose for regular season hockey, especially considering the corona-thing.

Second, the amount of people traveling needs to make a statistically significant difference in the amount of people traveling to the area from areas of potential community spread. Otherwise it's a non-issue.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote