Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #101
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ward to me is a slightly better Gulutzan. He's a bit more adaptable, which is why he's a slightly better head coach, but I see many of the same problems in Ward's system as we saw in Gulutzan's. Most especially with the breakout. It's the same plodding exit that involves many passes to the middle and turnovers inside the blue line.

Or, tl;dr: good assistant coach, mediocre head coach. He's definitely stepped up following the Bill Peters mess, but honestly, we need a better coach next year.
There's a reason why Hartley forbade any pass other than a forward pass in the d-zone.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #102
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

The timeout after tying it 3-3 is nonsensical. If anything it should be the other team calling one if they feel they’re now reeling and want to survive until overtime.

A timeout after falling down 4-3 soon after on a flukey goal? Absolutely.

As a coach you’d leave it to the response of your players. If your captain or a leader jumped up and spurred on the team, “c’mon boys! We’re getting this back”. You open the gate and let them go. If the team looks deflated and shell shocked. Call the time out. Settle the troops and rile them back up, maybe draw up a quick strategy.

Based on their push back the Flames were feeling the latter, and Ward did nothing.

Time moves incredibly quickly in game. And a timeout is one of the most useful tools you have to refocus and resettle everyone into a similar mindset. Just incredibly strange Ward doesn’t deploy them late, when there’s a very strong likelihood you won’t need a coaches challenge remaining.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #103
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger89 View Post
The problem is the Flames won 7 in a row during Ward's honeymoon phase. They've been a pedestrian 17-14-3 since.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
I posted this before, but there’s no stats supporting some sort of coaching bump - it’s a myth that Peter Maher promoted (he was quickly disproven when he first made that statement that I heard, after Al MacNeil went 4-5-2 right away). The team won seven in a row under Ward, true fact. But there’s no reason to delegitimize those wins (any more than, say, to disregard the little slump that happened right after those wins).

Last edited by GioforPM; 03-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #104
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Ward isn't worse than Greg Gilbert.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #105
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think he's the worst head coach ever but the old adage you get what you pay for certainly applies in this situation.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #106
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I posted this before, but there’s no stats supporting some sort of coaching bump - it’s a myth that Peter Maher promoted (he was quickly disproven when he first made that statement that I heard, after Al MacNeil went 4-5-2 right away). The team won seven in a row under Ward, true fact. But there’s no reason to delegitimize those wins (any more than, say, to disregard the little slump that happened right after those wins).
Ok, so what more likely represents this team under Ward then? The 7-0-0 start, or the 17-14-3 remainder?

Because the team's play under Ward certainly argues this is more likely barely .500 club than the 100 point team the overall record might suggest.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ok, so what more likely represents this team under Ward then? The 7-0-0 start, or the 17-14-3 remainder?

Because the team's play under Ward certainly argues this is more likely barely .500 club than the 100 point team the overall record might suggest.
I suppose if you wanted to be fair, you could take out the first streak and the first slump right afterwards.

But as for the present team, I’d say their last 10, which is also 50-50 home and away. He’s 6-3-1.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote