Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Well this is negative so far lol
Haha, everyone's a comedian around here it seems.

What's the saying, it's only funny because it's true?

In any event, to provide a bit more context for the initial post, this was from the PGT on February 6, after losing to Nashville (the next game was in Vancouver when Ward switched back all of the lines):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Ward references the team identity and that they’re not playing to it right now and how last year they were scoring team and that didn’t work in the playoffs.

...does anyone have a damn clue as to what identity Ward thinks this team has this season?

If they decided to not being a scoring team and to be something else this year, that would certainly explain the complete cliff this team’s offensive talent has driven off of and why you have offensively gifted players like Gaudreau looking completely lost. I don’t know how many times we’ve dumped the puck into Johnny’s corner this year (a bajillion?), but if that’s the plan I get why these players have quit on the organization. Just paceless, dry, safe hockey. I’m reminded of Conroy’s story of his first shift with Jarome where Connie dumped it in - and after the shift Iggy yelled at Connie that on the first line, you don’t dump it in on the rush. What the hell is this team actually trying to accomplish?
Related link: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/say-...te/c-314753892

I also recall someone (I think it was Tkachuk?) being asked about the team's identity and him saying that he didn't really know what it was...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skilled, but too predictable and easy to play against. Less than the sum of its parts.

We have a lot of players that can contribute, but no one real game breaking player. Although to be fair, not every team has one either.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #23
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Haha, everyone's a comedian around here it seems.

What's the saying, it's only funny because it's true?

In any event, to provide a bit more context for the initial post, this was from the PGT on February 6, after losing to Nashville (the next game was in Vancouver when Ward switched back all of the lines):

Related link: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/say-...te/c-314753892

I also recall someone (I think it was Tkachuk?) being asked about the team's identity and him saying that he didn't really know what it was...
Yeah I can't really disagree with most of the things on here.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #24
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

What team has an identity? Who cares about an identity.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #25
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Soft and inconsistent.

Best team in the world if games were only 10 minutes long.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roughly a .610 hockey club.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #27
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

They will either sink or come together as a team. That 2003/04 squad were no world beaters going into the playoffs. If they play Vancouver or Arizona I feel good, if they play the Golden Knights, Oilers or any central division teams I dont.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since February they're a skilled, tenacious team that plays a strong cycle game along the boards and doesn't go away until the final buzzer. Inconsistent over 60 minutes but opportunistic as they can catch you off guard and hang around in any game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #29
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It amazes me how this team is capable of losing consecutive shifts, or just full periods. It's also highly predictable (first home game after road trip, afternoon games, classic trap games).

Still I have hope this team finds last year's swagger GOING INTO the playoffs somehow. I have been waiting to see last year's team all season
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

the team identity is an exoskeleton. It's held together by wingers (Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Lindholm/Mangiapane) and defensemen(Giordano, Brodie, Andersson), but remarkably weak at the center position that bonafide contenders are structured around.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #31
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
the team identity is an exoskeleton. It's held together by wingers (Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Lindholm/Mangiapane) and defensemen(Giordano, Brodie, Andersson), but remarkably weak at the center position that bonafide contenders are structured around.
Yet if we somehow landed a star center in the summer, we would suddenly be exceptionally strong in the position running Monahan at #2, Backlund at #3 and Ryan at #4. We have good centers who play adequately in their current roles in stretches, but a bonafide #1 pushing those guys down just one line each would do wonders for us, I feel.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #32
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Yet if we somehow landed a star center in the summer, we would suddenly be exceptionally strong in the position running Monahan at #2, Backlund at #3 and Ryan at #4. We have good centers who play adequately in their current roles in stretches, but a bonafide #1 pushing those guys down just one line each would do wonders for us, I feel.
We're a cap team with a weak asset base, and quality #1 centers are almost impossible for bubble teams to acquire, as was the case during the Iginla era. I don't think an Olli Jokinen Redux moves the needle.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #33
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We're a cap team with a weak asset base, and quality #1 centers are almost impossible for bubble teams to acquire, as was the case during the Iginla era. I don't think an Olli Jokinen Redux moves the needle.
I understand that, it was just a hypothetical that if it were somehow possible it would be great, especially given the salary cap looks like it could expand a bunch, so the salary cap wouldn't be that terrible to work with to fit that player, I don't think.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #34
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently the identity is this team has been up and down for the past 6 seasons.

77-97-77-94-84-107-? These are the point totals in the full seasons since Iginla and Kipper left.

The good news about this year is while they are still poised to finish 10+pts worse than last year there is a good chance they will qualify for the playoffs in consecutive years since their run of playoffs from 04-09.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The issue is they don’t have to be that bad. Add Lindholm to that group of centers it is a lot better and then this team looks incredibly weak on the wing.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Overrated. Not us. Identity. There’s 30 teams, they’re not all going to have unique identities or fit into a neat little box.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #37
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Their motto is “life is like a box of chocolates”
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering this team is something different from one night to the next I think its safe to surmise that we have multiple identities and use them at moments when they're most inappropriate.

So our Team Identity is Schizophrenia.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #39
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
This is true for nearly every single team though (except the worst of the worst)...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #40
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

deleted

Last edited by camm13; 03-05-2020 at 09:49 PM.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote