Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #41
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
I like when a coach commands respect, is the superior voice of a room and holds people accountable. The assistant coach should be the buddy buddy middle man.

There’s certainly a line not to cross, but that line sways far too in favor of players who seem to have a superior voice in the Peking order these days.
Now I want Chinese for lunch
Old 02-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #42
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m totally preparing myself to learn that the Flames were never in contact with any of the very strong, proven candidates available. Instead they’ll go shopping at the dollar store like they always do.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is Guerin already has one of those other coaches without a job already lined up, thus the timing. I am betting one of Gallant or Laviolette is their HC within a week.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is Laviolette.

Another U.S. Hockey guy and him and Guerin are likely familiar with one another. Laviolette was an assistant with the Bruins when Guerin played there.

My guess is Laviolette as head coach, with Weight as an associate.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
My guess is Guerin already has one of those other coaches without a job already lined up, thus the timing. I am betting one of Gallant or Laviolette is their HC within a week.
I think both of them have said that they stepping back for the remainder of the year. Minnesota would be an odd place for a top-tier NHL coach to rush in to take a job in mid-February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://theathletic.com/1608873/2020...dreaus-firing/

Good roundtable discussion on the firing at the Athletic. A few tidbits;

Quote:
But you started to hear whispers over the last few weeks that Boudreau and Guerin weren’t on the same page as far as where the program was headed. Which is completely natural. Guerin inherited Boudreau, they had no history together, and their visions for the team can’t possibly be the same.
Quote:
Usually coaching changes make sense. This one doesn’t. Boudreau has consistently been one of the league’s best coaches with only Scotty Bowman having a better career winning percentage and the Wild are surging of late, going 7-3-1 over their last 11 to inch closer to a potential playoff spot. Minnesota’s current chances stand at 38 percent and a lot of credit for that has to go to Boudreau – I mean, just look at the roster he’s been handed. It’s one that many expected to be in the league’s bottom five and instead, they’re on an 88-point pace despite brutal goaltending.
I didn't realize BB has the 2nd best career winning percentage in the history of the NHL. Really hard to argue with a guy that can get that kind of success with different organizations.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #47
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine Minny is a terribly attractive coaching gig based on roster alone, not to mention the most competitive division top to bottom.

Goaltending is about to become a big question mark (if it isn't already)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #48
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If one of these top coaches aren't hired by the Flames, Tre should lose his job...
Old 02-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I can't imagine Minny is a terribly attractive coaching gig based on roster alone, not to mention the most competitive division top to bottom.

Goaltending is about to become a big question mark (if it isn't already)
The Wild at least have Kaapo Kahkonen coming up who looks pretty promising. But Dubnyk is really tailing off and Stalock isn't much more than a backup.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he is vastly overrated, much in the same vein as Babcock was overrated.

Show me a coach that gets a team to exceed expectations, especially in the playoffs, and I am sold. Sure, his win percentage has been sensational, but he has also been the head coach of talented squads. I don't think Washington would have won the cup with him as coach. I think Minnesota was a better team than they have shown as well, though they are definitely showing some age now.

If I am Treliving, and I want to make a coaching change, I want a coach with some track record of making teams exceed expectations, not just meet them (and especially in Boudreau's case, have his team be perennial playoff disappointments).

Laviolette is the current coach out of a job that has experienced the most amount of success. Gallant's record in Florida was solid, and he was exceptional in Vegas (and the refs killed their chances the following season).

Boudreau... fantastic win percentage, but years behind a Washington powerhouse that was the Sharks of the East, and Minnesota that never impressed anyone in any way while he was the coach there - I would rank him as 'meeting expectations' on the Wild, or perhaps even underachieving.

Who knows.. maybe he is exactly the right fit for this squad, Treliving snaps him up and makes this post incredibly humorous in the coming seasons, but aside from being 'lucky' by having the fortune of coaching a powerhouse in Washington, I don't see the hype with this coach.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #51
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first choice of the current available coaches would still easily be Laviolette.

Doesn't matter much though, as I doubt the Flames go after or get any of them.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #52
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be happy with
1) Darryl Sutter; or
2) Laviolette (in that order).

Don't want Boudreau. He's a perennial loser coach.
Don't want Gallant. He's too emotional.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #53
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
funny because that's exactly what i want to see from the Flames
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Laviolette will be a challenge for the Flames to sign. He's American and made it a point to say that he would make the best decision for his family. I imagine it would be very costly to lure him to Canada and even though I don't buy that Flames owners won't spend on a coach I'm not sure they will spend big.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I'd be happy with
1) Darryl Sutter; or
2) Laviolette (in that order).

Don't want Boudreau. He's a perennial loser coach.
I get that he hasn't had the greatest success in the playoffs but he's the 2nd all time winningest coach in the NHL by win percentage and he immediately gets results.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #56
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Very surprised at the reaction here. If the HBO series was any indication, Boudreau is an old school guy who just swears and berates his players to try to motivate them.

We need an intelligent motivator and systems guy.

Do not want.
I watched that series as well and recall thinking jeeze, is that all it takes to be an NHL coach? Constantly belittle your players and inject f bombs in everything you say?

That was my impression of Peters as well when he was hired.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I watched that series as well and recall thinking jeeze, is that all it takes to be an NHL coach? Constantly belittle your players and inject f bombs in everything you say?

That was my impression of Peters as well when he was hired.
As with hard knocks you have to take that edited film stuff a grain of salt as they managed to make Hue Jackson (the worst head coach in NFL history) look like he knew what he was doing. Blysma looked like a mastermind and look at him now. At the end of the day you look at the coach's record of success and see if he's a match for your organizational philosophy. I'll be honest in that I have no idea what that is for the Flames as Gulutzan and Peters don't have a lot in common.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Better ####ing hire one of these three by summer time.

Don't be cheap.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #59
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As with hard knocks you have to take that edited film stuff a grain of salt as they managed to make Hue Jackson (the worst head coach in NFL history) look like he knew what he was doing. Blysma looked like a mastermind and look at him now. At the end of the day you look at the coach's record of success and see if he's a match for your organizational philosophy. I'll be honest in that I have no idea what that is for the Flames as Gulutzan and Peters don't have a lot in common.
Given that all we see is fans is literally the record, I'm going to go ahead and trust the group of professionals who are watching them day to day, understand their systems, and get constant feedback from players and other staff to make the call on who would be the best fit for the team.

Everything in this thread is meaningless musing when it comes down to it. No one has nearly enough information.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #60
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Given that all we see is fans is literally the record, I'm going to go ahead and trust the group of professionals who are watching them day to day, understand their systems, and get constant feedback from players and other staff to make the call on who would be the best fit for the team.

Everything in this thread is meaningless musing when it comes down to it. No one has nearly enough information.
Your argument falls completely flat because this authority you're appealing to decided Glen Gulutzan was their guy. Clearly those professionals didn't have the best information themselves.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote