Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

This is based on my own eye test so some may be subjective, some may be biased, some may be the plain ol truth.

Gaudreau - This is always a tough one, he is our best player talent wise, yet not our most reliable when you need a go to player. He's starting to come around offensively but he still plays the game softer than a marshmallow which allows teams to shut him down easily

Monahan - I compare him to an elite three point shooter in basketball, he'll drain the shot when he's open, but if he has the ball, he can't dribble and beat you one on one. I wished he was stronger with the puck and was able to hang on it and create plays but he's either getting open for the shot or he's going for a dump in if it's on his stick outside the zone

Lindholm - He's been solid and reliable

Tkachuk - He's shown he can take over games with his IQ but when other teams don't engage with him, he shows his inconsistency. His lack of footspeed is probably what keeps him from becoming that everyday gamebreaker

Backlund – He doesn’t put up points like we think he should but I always feel confident when he’s on the ice because he gets possession of the puck quite frequently and his skating is strong

Mangiapane – He’s showing more confidence and I think he can be a real point producer. He’s hard on the forecheck and plays a smart game, just needs time to work on defensive and also staying on his skates

Ryan – He’s been exactly what I expected, a good solid reliable everything player and contributes every so often

Lucic – Overpaid but pretty much as advertised

Dube – He plays like a young NHLer, shows flashes of what he can offer and most likely our best skater but very inconsistent and needs time to develop how he thinks the game

Bennett – He will always be a player that has me wondering because when he gets top 6 opportunities he shows some flashes but it doesn’t translate on paper to points but for the most he is strapped on the bottom 6. I think we should have strapped him on the top 6 consistently for at the least 10 games to see if he can gel but we never did so maybe now I’m okay with him being traded so we can all move on from our expectations of him.

Jankowski – I feel like he’s coming around and I’m not ready to give up on him just yet, he was slow to develop in general and I feel he’s still got a lot more to offer. A big defensive forward that can chip in every now and then is always going to be valuable.

Rieder – He plays a speed game but I feel his contribution is almost like a dime a dozen player. I’d be okay if he was gone and let someone from our system play (Buddy Robinson, Alan Quine, Austin Czarnik, Glenn Gawdin)

Robinson - Good big frame, great north/south skater and shown he has some hockey smarts, I'd be okay for him to replace Rieder on the roster

Rinaldo – Love this guys attitude and what he brings when he plays, I’m okay with him being the extra forward so we can call on him when needed

Giordano – I feel like he’s playing like a guy with too much on his shoulders, still with his poor season he’s still our best Dman which saying that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for everyone else on D

Brodie – He’s been so good this season and I almost want to resign him but I’d rather sell him to stock up on our future and maybe try to resign him in the off season

Hamonic – Can GTFO, sell sell sell

Hanifin – So bad defensively at times, but with his age I think I can forgive him

Anderson – He’s starting to develop into a reliable d

Kylington – He’s like Hanifin but I don’t think he’s had as much gaffes which is also partly due to not playing as much but he’s showing lots of upside and his skating is elite

Stone – He’s a bottom pairing dman and I feel the same about him as I do with Rieder in regards with being gone

Yelesin – 1 game and he actually looked pretty good, can skate, poised with the puck, and doesn’t shy away from physicality, I personally think he’s ready to replace Stone

Rittich – Number 1 goalie

Talbot – Number 1 backup

Overall I think there's more to give with this group
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #22
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't see how you get the Hamonic - Hanifin conclusion from the chart but maybe I don't get it properly. They both have equally mediocre numbers on that chart, no? I do think they don't mesh well though, whoever is to blame.

I agree with the rest - it meets my eye test almost exactly. Stone has been a real liability this year. Kylington also but I give some rope to him - he's on a big learning curve and you can see the upside.

I've been a big Dube fan all year, despite his lack of production - I love the motor and he already has a decent defensive game. And I've been pumping Lucic's tires all year about what happens when he's on the ice. That whole line is easily the most consistent.

I'm surprised Rinaldo has turned out better than Reider - I would have predicted the latter was just suffering from Oileritis and would bounce back to his AZ norm.
Rinaldo has been great in limited time. I am not sure he will be good over longer periods but seems ideal to come in and provide energy on demand.

Re: the chart- the "red" bar is indicative of Even Strength D GAR, so hamonic is getting dominated on that while hanifin is relatively neutral (slightly positive) while Hanifin's struggles really come with the lack of offensive production (the dark blue) and turnovers. Same goes for Kylington!
It's an interesting chart, especially when considering the eye test, it confirms some things and shows that I am wrong about some things- e.g. Johnny is does look like he's really struggling relative to former seasons in spite of putting up some points still, and Gio although he's not putting up numbers seems as dominant as ever.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had no idea where to put this but for the first time, Dom Luszczysyn at The Athletic released the engine behind his wildly successful player-based team projections. I've filtered to just the Flames' forwards and defencemen - hopefully that's okay but if not please delete.

For those unfamiliar, the projections are forward-looking not current pace, and use past seasons+current season weighted.

2019-20 NHL player projected GSVA
https://theathletic.com/1653561/2020...rojected-gsva/

Fowards

Spoiler!

- Tkachuk has been the Flames' best all-around player by some margin, matching the eye test.
- Gaudreau, in a down year, is still effective. His poor play is over-exaggerated due to having the puck so often, relative to someone who is positionally poor away from the puck, which causes eyes to focus on him.
- Monahan's defence . Nobody denies his elite finishing ability but the #1 C is the most important position on a hockey team. Very difficult to win the ultimate prize without an elite two-way #1 C. This is such a tough spot for the Flames.
- Andrew Mangiapane ranking so high is impressive, then you consider his ice time and OFF and DEF ratings relative to that. Massive breakout season - excited for what's to come with more ice time.
- Mikael Backlund has really turned things around but the one knock is always his penalties, noting his level of competition.
- Derek Ryan is quietly dependable. Awesome acquisition by the Flames.
- Bennett and Lucic also deep into the negative penalty differential especially considering ice time and competition, however how they arrived there is much different. Bennett is very frustrating.
- Mark Jankowski exists. Rarely scores and rarely gets scored on.

Defencemen

Spoiler!

- Gio, even in a "down" year, is one of the best defencemen in the league. Hard not to take penalties as a defenceman with his minutes and compeition.
- Brodie is having a marvelous season back on the right where he's far more comfortable and effective.
- Andersson, known as a youngster as an offensive defencemen, has made astonishing progress in his own zone. Once his offence develops (soon!) he will be a force. What a player.
- Snap shot of the two new boys.
- Hanifin is exciting high-event hockey. Needs to get more engaged in his own end - still young and capable of significant improvement.
- Hamonic is having a very very tough year. Lost half a step and his gaps have been brutal as a result and everything has avalanched from there. Hope he rebounds as he's a warrior.
- Michael Stone gets paid by an NHL team in the year 2020, LOL.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 03-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I had no idea where to put this but for the first time, Dom Luszczysyn at The Athletic released the engine behind his wildly successful player-based team projections. I've filtered to just the Flames' forwards and defencemen - hopefully that's okay but if not please delete.

For those unfamiliar, the projections are forward-looking not current pace, and use past seasons+current season weighted.

2019-20 NHL player projected GSVA
https://theathletic.com/1653561/2020...rojected-gsva/

Fowards

Spoiler!

- Tkachuk has been the Flames' best all-around player but some margin, matching the eye test.
- Gaudreau, in a down year, is still effective. His poor play is over-exaggerated due to having the puck so often relative to someone who is positionally poor away from the puck which causes eyes to focus on him.
- Monahan's defence . Nobody denies his elite finishing ability but the #1 C is the most important position on a hockey team. Very difficult to win the ultimate prize without an elite two-way #1 C. Very tough spot for the Flames.
- Andrew Mangiapane ranking so high is impressive, then you consider his ice time and OFF and DEF ratings relative to that. Massive breakout season - excitement for what's to come with more ice time.
- Mikael Backlund has really turned things around but the one knock is always his penalties, noting his level of competition.
- Derek Ryan is quietly dependable. Awesome acquisition by the Flames.
- Bennett and Lucic also deep into the negative penalty differential especially considering ice time and competition, however how they arrived there is much different. Bennett is very frustrating.
- Mark Jankowski exists. Rarely scores and rarely gets scored on.

Defencemen

Spoiler!

- Gio, even in a "down" year, is one of the best defencemen in the league. Hard not to take penalties as a defenceman with his minutes and compeition.
- Brodie is having a marvelous season back on the right where he's far more comfortable and effective.
- Andersson, known as a youngster as an offensive defencemen, has made astonishing progress in his own zone. Once his offence develops (soon!) he will be a force. What a player.
- Snap shot of the two new boys.
- Hanifin is exciting high-event hockey. Needs to get more engaged in his own end - still young and capable of significant improvement.
- Hamonic is having a very very tough year. Lost half a step and his gaps have been brutal as a result and everything has avalanched from there. Hope he rebounds as he's a warrior.
- Michael Stone gets paid by an NHL team in the year 2020, LOL.
Monahan's defense.

This is why I wanted ROR so damn badly when he was available. He's like a hybrid of Monahan and Backlund as in he brings the D of Backs and the O of Monahan in one package with a non-stop motor and elite face off abilities.

Why Treliving why!?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Stone. LOL. He of the $10 million contract.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote