Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #21
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
When did Frolik score 30 goals?
When did Toffoli almost 5 years ago ? One outlier season sure buys a lot of good will around here. I wouldn't give him more than 5 mill.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #22
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the 30 goal season from Toffoli was a bit of a Cheechoo.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #23
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

One take away from the video I hope other take note of is the Leafs are looking to move out pieces like Kapanen, Johnsson or Kerfoot.

No mention of Nylander.

Hopefully this will put an end to the Nylander to Calgary speculation.

I’d like to add a guy like Kapanen if possible.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #24
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's call it like it is -- we need someone who can come in and get Gaudreau and Monahan out of the funk they've been in all season. Hudler made it work. Ferland had a terrific 40 game run. Same with Lindholm last year. Treat it like a 30 game audition -- if you can find that guy, the rest will take care of itself.

Is it Toffoli? I don't know enough about the player other than he has a punchable face and looks like the quintessential meathead in this video:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #25
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
When did Toffoli almost 5 years ago ? One outlier season sure buys a lot of good will around here. I wouldn't give him more than 5 mill.
Well I can agree on the money for sure.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #26
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Like who though?

The players available via trade are going to be 1 dimensional, or else cost you a piece of the core.

Then trade for nobody for all I care. Figure something out in the summer when there are more options.

Keep the pick. Toffoli ain’t taking this team anywhere and certainly not if he’s eating up 5 mill plus of cap space next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #27
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? So you are his agent? How could you possibly know this otherwise?

He’s a decent 27 year old UFA, and a number of teams will have interest in him.

The generally require at least 5 years.

I am just going by historical data.

If someone is willing to pay a 27 year old UFA close to 6M per season, it will be for 5 years or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #28
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yeah. But targeting term is dumb.

I want hungry players. I want players looking to cash in on major performances. If the flames move a good pick and get to the conference final or the cup final or are hoisting the goddamned thing, will anyone care if toffoli turns around and signs in Columbus or St Louis or Montreal?

I want a guy looking to show he's a playoff performer so that 7 weeks later he can make an extra couple million per.

I want James Neal in the last year of his contract, not the first.

Preoccupation with term is dumb and I hope it's not a major obstacle for the flames.
“Term” is also a euphemism for someone whose AAV is low, relatively speaking, for the current cap.

That’s great if you can get it but it also costs more (a la Hamonic).
I hope finding contract bargains isn’t the priority.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #30
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you could get Toffoli to sign for 4 or, 4.5 on a one year show me deal. Then if he returns to his 30 goal form you can bust out the big bucks.

I expect he would only sign for 1 year if no one was offering anything other than 1 year.

Plus if Calgary traded for him now, he’d have plenty of time to show what type of player he could be playing with better line mates.

If has a decent finish and ends up with, say, 25 goals ( he’s on pace for 21), there will be lots of interest in him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #31
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be Kapanen or bust IMO. Lottery protected 1st should do it. I'd spend a 1st for him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #32
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't get the notion of not adding toffoli if he's available.

Getting no one vs toffoli, and icecube is saying no?

5 goals over 24 games could easily be the difference between going out in round 2 and winning a cup.

The question about an addition is always 'will this guy add or prevent more goals than the current guy over 24 games?'

Often that's an incremental improvement of a couple of goals or so and doesn't register as much over a playoff series.

But the flames are in a position where you are all but guaranteed that a legit top 6 player is going to present an improvement over the current weak links. Over 48 games, a 10% shooting percentage instead of six means about 10-11 goals. Call it 5 extra goals over 50 games for a legit winger in the top 6 instead of backlund.

If you can add one guy that gives you 5-6 extra goals over 24 games, or two guys that can do the same, you're a much better suited team to making noise in the playoffs.

The flames flat out couldn't compete offensively against the Ava last year because they couldn't score goals. Playoffs are about momentum and emotion and if you've got Zucker or Stone out there receiving passes from Tkachuk instead of Backlund or Frolik, who knows how the momentum shifts game to game? We know how it shifted when they had great chances and couldn't finish; it was a momentum killing let down.

I'm my mind, by bridging tkachuk they've already puts their chips in to go for it, so what's a few more to actually put together a hand and try to win the pot?

If the price for toffoli is a 2nd and a prospect, I'm pulling the trigger on just about anyone deal that has conditional picks in it instead of a body.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #33
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli is a guy that I have ranked fairly high from the list of players that are rumoured to be available. I think he is a good buy-low candidate, if the acquisition cost is a 2nd plus a prospect. He is a solid finisher, and his metrics seem to align with what I see on the ice - he is a strong 2-way player in every zone and is decent along the boards.

I am not sure I prefer Josh Anderson over Toffoli - for me they are neck-in-neck. Toffoli is a much more proven and rounded scorer, but Anderson adds other intangibles as well. I would be happy with either. Glad that the Flames are looking at Toffoli at least. I would bet he turns his game around in Calgary.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #34
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They really just need a guy with a better shot than Backlund on that 2nd RW to finish off plays so that Backlund can be moved to the 3C where he is best suited. Size would be a bonus.

Toffoli would definitely fit that criteria.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #35
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I am sure there is some interest, there’s always an element of the fact the Flames have rolled into Toronto for the one time a year and the eastern insiders have to dig a bit deeper into the “speculation” bucket (or not dig that much,just toss one out there that isn’t widely reported yet)to provide a relative story regarding the visiting team.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #36
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Toffoli is an interesting option.
If you remove his first year in the NHL (10games) and his best and worst seasons, he's averaged 21goals and 44points per year. He's on pace for 21goals and 47points this year.
If the ask was a B prospect + 2nd, i think that'd be pretty fair.
In terms of signing him, you'd think that the Backlund contract would be on the top end of the spectrum. Something in the range of under $5M x 5/6years.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It should be Kapanen or bust IMO. Lottery protected 1st should do it. I'd spend a 1st for him.
Seems like more than necessary for the Leafs’ third liner. In any event, i don’t think they want futures. They want a player. A defenceman to be precise. Hamonic plus a conditional pick of some sort (condition being a re-signing).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #38
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind if they pick up Toffoli. What I do mind is if they give him an extension. I just hope a better RHS top 6 guy becomes available.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #39
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m on the Tyler Toffoli train. I think he’s a great option (https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=103653) and based on recent precedents, I think he could be resigned at 4 years for 6M or less.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #40
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yeah. But targeting term is dumb.

I want hungry players. I want players looking to cash in on major performances. If the flames move a good pick and get to the conference final or the cup final or are hoisting the goddamned thing, will anyone care if toffoli turns around and signs in Columbus or St Louis or Montreal?

I want a guy looking to show he's a playoff performer so that 7 weeks later he can make an extra couple million per.

I want James Neal in the last year of his contract, not the first.

Preoccupation with term is dumb and I hope it's not a major obstacle for the flames.
Not at the end of this contract haha
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Professor For This Useful Post: