Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-04-2020, 03:29 AM   #21
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Everyone deserves another chance, including Peters. This is a step towards an inevitable return to the NHL.

This. Craig Berube once called Peter Worrell a monkey. Twenty years later he coached his team to the Stanley Cup.

Last edited by playmaker; 04-04-2020 at 03:36 AM. Reason: typo
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #22
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #23
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
Is this place in Siberia?
No. Siberia is a bit more to the east.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #24
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Are you kidding? Its Russia. I think its actually encouraged.
There is no racism in Russian daily life as there are almost no black people over here. Some black athletes who played in Russia did complain about facing racism from sport fans - most of whom are lower-class nazi teenagers. However, in general public there is no racism. Instead, Russians hate middle-asia nations such as Tajik or Kyrgyz, who flooded Russia with cheap migrant workers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #25
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think that Bill Peters has a long, successful coaching career ahead of him. Just not in the NHL.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
There is no racism in Russian daily life as there are almost no black people over here. Some black athletes who played in Russia did complain about facing racism from sport fans - most of whom are lower-class nazi teenagers. However, in general public there is no racism. Instead, Russians hate middle-asia nations such as Tajik or Kyrgyz, who flooded Russia with cheap migrant workers.
You don’t need black people for there to be racism. Sounds like there is some, just directed at different groups.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Color me crazy, but telling a black hockey player to turn off the music containing the "N" word many times in a dressing room still doesn't strike me a racism. lets face it folks, rap music containing the garbage that it does has no right to screw anyone from a job. Peters got thrown threw the coals for saying what 99% of people would think.

Having said that, I'm glad he's not the flames coach but for other reasons but not because he requested to turn that N... shat off.
99% of people are not thinking that IMO. Saying what he did, to whom he said it, strikes me totally as racism and sign of an unintelligent individual.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #28
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What the hell nonsense is this? Just because there aren't many targets for racism doesn't mean people aren't racist!
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #29
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Color me crazy, but telling a black hockey player to turn off the music containing the "N" word many times in a dressing room still doesn't strike me a racism. lets face it folks, rap music containing the garbage that it does has no right to screw anyone from a job. Peters got thrown threw the coals for saying what 99% of people would think.

Having said that, I'm glad he's not the flames coach but for other reasons but not because he requested to turn that N... shat off.

What a terrible post. Instead of asking to turn off the music, he went on a racist rant. Don't pretend going on a racist rant is ok. And then not apologizing to the player directly for it. He didn't even have the balls to apologize to Akim in his statement. Sure, he deserves a second chance. But to say someone can go on a rant saying the N word and think it's not racist is just silly.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone deserves a first chance. Second chances should be earned. I have no insight into what Peters has done since resigning so this isn’t a comment about him.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #31
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, you know you're crappy at hiring coaches when the only coaching job they can get after they leave the Flames is in Russia.

Well, either that or as an assistant in Edmonton, which is even worse.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #33
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
What a terrible post. Instead of asking to turn off the music, he went on a racist rant. Don't pretend going on a racist rant is ok. And then not apologizing to the player directly for it. He didn't even have the balls to apologize to Akim in his statement. Sure, he deserves a second chance. But to say someone can go on a rant saying the N word and think it's not racist is just silly.
Have you ever listened to rap music? the "N" word is usually repeated 30 times a song, why is it ok to play that crap in a dressing room full of white hockey players? Peters ranting the "N" word was totally wrong but Akim shouldn't have played it either.

The double standard on the "N" word is tiresome
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do find it funny that you've equated a lack of races to a lack of racism.

You mean to tell me that all we had to do to conquer racism was eliminate the existence of all those pesky other races. Ethnic cleansing?

Why has nobody thought of this before?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #35
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Man, you know you're crappy at hiring coaches when the only coaching job they can get after they leave the Flames is in Russia.

Well, either that or as an assistant in Edmonton, which is even worse.
I think we all know which is worse.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #36
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Have you ever listened to rap music? the "N" word is usually repeated 30 times a song, why is it ok to play that crap in a dressing room full of white hockey players? Peters ranting the "N" word was totally wrong but Akim shouldn't have played it either.

The double standard on the "N" word is tiresome
So your take is that this word is actually offensive to white people and it is they who need to be protected from hearing it?

I'm not sure you've thought this one through.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #37
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like we've had this conversation before:

-I don't think what he did was racist.

-Ok, it was a dumb thing to say but have you heard how many times the N-word is in rap music? He was kinda asking for it.

-Ok, maybe he wasn't asking for it, but why is he allowed to play music with the N-word? Also, why can't I say the N-word? I think I have the right to be offended by that and determine how that word is used.

-Ok, so it's a derogatory term perpetuated by discrimination towards black people, which has, in turn, been co-opted by that community as a means of defiance and ownership through art and vernacular.

-The music with the word in it made him do it so I still don't think it's racist.

Reset the circle.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nword is just lazy...in rap and elsewhere

get some new material
Old 04-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #39
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your logic is all wrong. He didn’t say turn that music down, he used the N word in a derogatory fashion towards the music a Black hockey player was listening to. How much more racist can you get? I can’t even imagine saying that word around a Black person, Peters said it straight to his face and used the word in a derogatory fashion. It’s blatant racism and I don’t understand how you can say it isn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #40
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bill Peters to coach Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg in the KHL

Quote:

Some black athletes? There are countless stories of Non-white soccer players being harassed in a Russia. Peters will fit right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 04-04-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote