Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #61
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
At $850K?
By waiting this long to get it done. He asks for $850 at the draft and he is signed already. Now he missed the first couple of days of training camp. Best case scenario he joins the team last minute for split squads. Worst case..he burns another couple of games while Rieder makes an impression at $700k
Old 09-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #62
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine hardballing your big "ok kid, you've earned a spot" 1-2 year contract
Old 09-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #63
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
By waiting this long to get it done. He asks for $850 at the draft and he is signed already. Now he missed the first couple of days of training camp. Best case scenario he joins the team last minute for split squads. Worst case..he burns another couple of games while Rieder makes an impression at $700k
Yeah, Rieder and Dube's fitness results today aren't going to help too much

2 guys that showed up ready to play
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What UFAs signed for is irrelevant...for the 1 millionth time on CP

RFA Vs. UFA
The point was that there are guys he compares to that are over $850 as well, but I was being lazy and didn't want to dig up examples. But of course, there will always be people who want to challenge every detail, so here you go:

Lemieux (NYR) $925K
Goldobin (VAN) $900K
Ho Sang (NYI) $874K

all 23 year old RFA wingers.

Mangiapane was more productive than each of them 5on5, adjusted for TOI. Ho Sang by quite a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 12:50 AM   #65
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want this dude in the fold, especially with Hathaway gone. We'd be losing some of the grit and gaining some skill. (but not much). NHL min salary is what? 700k? Is this kid worth 150k over replacement? Probably, nah definitely.

He's not the second coming or anything. But for a 4th liner to graduate and contribute he's doing well for himself.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:46 AM   #66
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who does he think he is?

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 09-14-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:12 AM   #67
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are 3 legit PTO forwards, plus a few good forward prospects. Would be nice to have Mangiapane around but the team is not significantly worse off without him right now. His career, on the other hand, could be much worse off
Old 09-14-2019, 04:19 AM   #68
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was Treliving, I'd be making a point out of not budging at all anymore.

Just sign the qualifying offer or GTFO.

You can't t set a precedent that every bottom line RFA should hold until training camp has started to get the best deal possible.

I really like Mangiapane, I wish the negotiations would have gone better for him.

But this can't keep happening. IMO Mangiapane needs to become an example of what not to do.

Last edited by Itse; 09-14-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #69
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good job ritch winter. Really nailed that negotiation.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #70
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

You can't t set a precedent that every bottom line RFA should hold until training camp has started to get the best deal possible.

I really like Mangiapane, I wish the negotiations would have gone better for him.

But this can't keep happening. IMO Mangiapane needs to become an example of what not to do.
That's harsh, but probably true. I can't disagree.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #71
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

It’s Kulak again, but at least Kulak had rights.

How to take yourself off the bubble of a good team in 30 days.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #72
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m hopeful that it gets soon, since I really like Mangiapane. But I can see how an example has to be made. The hold out, at this juncture in his career, might not have been a good play. Either he saw it through and went to play in Russia (liken giordano) and made something of it. The fact that he folded, shows that he could have folded sooner.

Saying that I hope it gets done for around 800k
Old 09-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #73
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that Mangiapane has done something wrong without knowing the actual specifics of the negotiations. If there was a true confirmation that the Flames had offered a one-way contract, especially at $800,000, I would be a little bit more harsh but if this is coming down to a one-way or two-way contract, which I believe it to be, I can't blame Mangiapane.

There's potential for a huge difference and a huge gamble to make for someone who hasn't banked a lot of cash. Even if he wanted to bet on himself being bonafide-NHL calibre, there's always the risk of a career ending injury. Even a minor injury in training camp causing a set back could be enough reason for him to pass through waivers. Or you know, just the fact the guy put up 13 points and there's always players 'sneaking' through waivers at the beginning of the season that people are surprised by.

If the Flames won't offer him a one-way, the question needs to be asked by Mangiapane and his camp as to "why?" and it's clear the answer in-part relies on the notion that the Flames suspect that he could end up in the AHL, otherwise there's no reason for them to not offer a one-way.

And I know many of this board wouldn't accept a job opportunity that paid us "$100,000 but on a whim we can pay you $20,000" if you thought you were worth $100,000, so I don't blame Mangiapane for not accepting his similar structured qualifying offer.

With that said, I also don't blame the Flames. To keep operating costs low they won't want people in the AHL making NHL money, players like Gillies making $750,000 in the AHL start to add up from a business perspective.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #74
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Mangiapane needs to bet on himself now

He has no rights, anything Tre offers him is just to stroke his ego.

If there is a one way deal, take it and come back when you have arb rights
Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #75
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team is in its window now. Tre can’t overpay for a player with basically 0 negotiating power. Every dollar of cap space is important and could mean the difference between being able to add a piece that could push us over the top or not. Regardless of anything else tge player needs to understand that this year isn’t his year to get paid yet and accept that he’s not really in a position to demand anything. As others have said, bet on yourself and get your money next time, that’s really the only option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #76
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m really starting to get pissed at Mang, sign a effing contract already! If this is what he is doing after a half season what is he going to ask for if he a decent full season. I’m so disappointed in him. I hope when he does sign that the media doesn’t shy away from asking him some tough questions. Love the player but you need to look in the mirror or get a new agent. I’m embarrassed for him
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Old 09-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Mangiapane keeps this up hes going to find himself standing in the Soviet Breadlines!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #78
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just dumb for him to miss any time in camp.

Oh well, hopefully a kid or pto earns the open spot
Old 09-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah...what is here that I'm missing? The guy has1 13 points 54 NHL games, its a bit early in his career to start inflating his own value.

We all want him on the team and to succeed and this is likely merely the first contract among many in his career it seems odd to be swinging for the fences on this one.

What he should be doing is be going into camp hard, have a hell of a season and making Treliving's job really hard next summer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #80
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The point was that there are guys he compares to that are over $850 as well, but I was being lazy and didn't want to dig up examples. But of course, there will always be people who want to challenge every detail, so here you go:

Lemieux (NYR) $925K
Goldobin (VAN) $900K
Ho Sang (NYI) $874K

all 23 year old RFA wingers.

Mangiapane was more productive than each of them 5on5, adjusted for TOI. Ho Sang by quite a bit.
5 on 5 only, adjusted for toi...in other words cherry picked stats

Those guys all have high draft pedigree, yes it matters

Bottom line is the Flames have more accomplished guys in camp on PTOs so what the heck is he doing?