Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2023, 02:56 PM   #4621
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Shimano Power meter is garbage, stay away. Numerous online reviews of it being horrible . (unless you mean stages, they're good)
As much as I appreciate 4iiii being local I prefer something that works perfectly every time, Assioma costs a little more but has worked flawlessly.
4iiii not so much but to each their own.
What are your specific grievances with 4iiii? And how do you pronounce their name? (What marketing guy brands with a number + 4 vowels). I'm a total amateur and don't really care about maximum performance and accuracy, I am just a data nerd and like to see everything on my super basic rides to improve my health, not win races.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:16 PM   #4622
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What are your specific grievances with 4iiii? And how do you pronounce their name? (What marketing guy brands with a number + 4 vowels). I'm a total amateur and don't really care about maximum performance and accuracy, I am just a data nerd and like to see everything on my super basic rides to improve my health, not win races.
I had a 4iiii unit come on a bike preinstalled and getting it to read properly and maintain a connection has been a struggle, I'm sure if it works its great, mine just hasn't.
Also I don't think they are designed work below zero, the Assiamo's I don't use in the cold but you can't take the 4iiii off the bike either.
My opinion strictly comes down to them being hard to connect and unreliable for me compared to the Assiamo's, others probably have a good experience, I do not.
I'm also not taking my crank off to give to 4iiii to resolve issues and have a disabled bike for an unknown amount of time

Last edited by Icantwhisper; 08-29-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Icantwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:37 PM   #4623
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I had a 4iiii unit come on a bike preinstalled and getting it to read properly and maintain a connection has been a struggle, I'm sure if it works its great, mine just hasn't.
Also I don't think they are designed work below zero, the Assiamo's I don't use in the cold but you can't take the 4iiii off the bike either.
My opinion strictly comes down to them being hard to connect and unreliable for me compared to the Assiamo's, others probably have a good experience, I do not.
I'm also not taking my crank off to give to 4iiii to resolve issues and have a disabled bike for an unknown amount of time
Thanks, unfortunately pedal based meters are not an option for me due to the ankle injury affecting clipping in and out.

Others have mentioned they are in Cochrane so I would assume you could just take your entire bike to them to troubleshoot? I guess then you would have no bike instead of a disabled bke for an unknown amount of time in that case.

Being able to drive somewhere and have them troubleshoot directly (especially with moving the meter to fit my frame) is what sounds enticing to me, like taking directly to the manufacturer.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-29-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 04:53 PM   #4624
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While I can’t speak to 4iiii (“four eyes”) personally, everything I read online and hear from others is generally positive, and certainly comparable or better than other crank arm options (like stages). So I think supporting local is great, and they have a good product.

Unfortunately they wouldn’t fit on my previous road bike so was forced into the assiomas, which as I said I love. The new 4iiii meters are thinner though, and should work on most bikes.

You can either provide your crank arm if it is compatible, and they will mount the meter, or you can buy a new arm and meter combo. I don’t think the GRX600 arm works (due to the shape), but an 800 arm can be used interchangeably. But it would require the purchase of the arm w/meter option.

H&L, if you do decide to try cleats again, I do really like the SH56 multi release cleats. I still use them on the mountain bike, and I rarely come out accidentally, but they do release more easily with anything other than straight up pull.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #4625
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have zero complaints with my 4iiiis, have them on 2 bikes and they have been amazing.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Khel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2023, 03:14 AM   #4626
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Having power (as in a power meter, not a motor) is a game changer for a cycling enthusiast, and I love my assiomas. 4iiii’s are good from what I hear, and it’s a local company that I’d like to support, but the ability to put the power pedals on any bike is a huge plus. If a person buys a new bike, rents a bike while on vacation, or gets an additional bike (like a gravel bike) the flexibility is fantastic.

I switch mine between my road and gravel bike regularly, so much so that I’m considering getting another assioma just for the convenience of not having to switch so often. But an extra minute or 2 to move them over isn’t a big deal.
How is hike a bike an issue in road shoes? I'd love to be able to pop the pedals on my gravel bike for the Croken, but a little worried about this.

Long term I intent to get a crank arm on the gravel bike, but I really don't ride the gravel bike as often as I do my road bike.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:20 AM   #4627
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I modified my road assiomas to an SPD pedal body when I decided to do gravel. I found info online what pedals would work on the assioma axel. I got SPD gravel shoes (Shimano RX8) that are nearly a road shoe…minimal front tread (but just enough to make walking an option if needed), and as light as my road shoe.

So I’ve been using that SPD assioma setup on both the gravel and my road bike all year, and switching the pedals between bikes. Makes it walkable enough if needed, but minimal loss from a road cleat and pedal setup.

Having said that, lots of pro gravel riders use road pedals and shoes if they don’t think they’ll have to be off the bike. So are there usually hike a bike sections on the Croken?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2023, 12:01 PM   #4628
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure about any hike a bike sections on the Croken it was more of a general statement. Really only done gravel riding around the river valley in Edmonton, but it's something I want to get into more just for the variety.

Interesting they can work with some SPD I'll have to remember that maybe next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 04:53 PM   #4629
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an FYI, the 10th st bike lanes are totally out of service at the construction zone by the LRT bridge. I was told my best option was to use the sidewalk on the west side. it will be at least 2 months. Yay.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:38 PM   #4630
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

The morning bike-ninjas are coming out.

PSA... definitely time for lights if you're riding before ~715am, or staying out after ~8pm, especially if wearing darker clothing and nothing reflective even.
Sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:57 PM   #4631
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got back from Idaho this long weekend. Rode the Trail of the Court d'Alenes from the Plummer trailhead to Wallace which was kind of wild as we parked at Praeder Ranch Resort and ended up on the interstate for a bit (not recommended). The Ranch is located in a nudist community which is kind of funny and we did not know until we areoved. We also rode up Dobson Pass on the second day before returning home by going from Wallace and climbing out of the lake valley from a turn off shortly after the big bridge on the way back. We bikepacked in and had a great time.

The trail itself is a good ride for any cyclist, but they don't allow overnight parking at the trailheads anymore unfortunately. We rode about 300 kms in 3 days with minimal climbing outside of Dobson Pass and climbing out of the lake valley. Overall if you stay on the trail itself there really isn't a ton of climbing at all.

Last edited by Deegee; 09-08-2023 at 12:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 07:39 PM   #4632
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

We finally did the ride up to Moraine Lake today and it was a lot easier than I expected. It is a fair bit of elevation gain but there were only two sections that were more strenuous and even those were not as steep as I thought they would be. Even my kids made it without any real complaining although my youngest did have to walk her bike up a bit. If they didn't close the road to traffic we definitely would not have done it but it was a great experience.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 08:55 PM   #4633
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

can't let this thread de-volve to the 2nd page ya'lls...

Am trying to get a few more km out of the rear commuter tire. Still seems ok for the path but at what point do you say enough risk? Still has decent side knobs, just not much left of the center.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 05:13 AM   #4634
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the same boat with my rear tire. It's pretty smooth and I notice the air is going out a bit quicker than before. Buddy wants to come up for one more longer ride, but not sure how it will hold up.

I've pretty much transitioned to Zwift for the season, and my wife would kill me if I got new tires right now as I'd likely get GP 5000s and she'd ask why we're always spending that level of money on bike stuff lol.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:38 AM   #4635
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could tell her at least you aren't paying for these....which I want!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smarttirecompany/space-age-bicycle-wheels-using-nasa-technology/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 07:42 AM   #4636
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting video tour of the proposed Sunnyside floor barrier, and how it will make the pathways along the river from Centre street to 14th much better than what we have today.

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 07:49 AM   #4637
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Interesting video tour of the proposed Sunnyside floor barrier, and how it will make the pathways along the river from Centre street to 14th much better than what we have today.

That explains what the alignment markings are on the path that I have been seeing when riding to the office. I wasn't sure what was going on.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:50 AM   #4638
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be an absolutely massive disruption to the pathway system while they are working, but if the end result gets us those wider paths and separated it's a big win.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:55 AM   #4639
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a lot of money to protect a few decrepit old houses in Sunnyside.

*ducks*
Old 09-14-2023, 07:56 AM   #4640
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looks like a lot of money to protect a few decrepit old houses in Sunnyside.

*ducks*
We flooded so upgraded mobility infrastructure could come.

You're welcome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: