Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #1901
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/20.../#.XSj0Hnt7mUl

Jacob Hoggard is heading for trial.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #1902
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/20.../#.XSj0Hnt7mUl

Jacob Hoggard is heading for trial.

Also interesting that his bandmates are now distancing themselves from him. While they may not have been directly as disturbed as him, it's hard to believe they were not involved to some degree. They had the whole frat boy thing down pat.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #1903
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Not sure your point, though? It would be pretty standard to distance yourself from somebody accused of rape. Pretty careless to equate "having the whole frat boy thing down" to rape. Almost stating it like they must have been in on it, too?

There's millions upon millions of boys and men who have "had the whole frat boy thing down pat" that didn't sexually assault women.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #1904
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...n-spacey-2/amp

Both Civil and Criminal cases dropped against Spacey.

You know when Spacey came out with his Christmas time Frank Underwood "commerical" to say he was going to fight the charges against him I thought it was just a display of his arrogance.

Seeing what's unfolded over the last few weeks now, not sure what to think other than I truly hope his career hasn't been ruined and tarnished over untrue allegations.

I remember being crushed seeing one of my favourite actors being accused of this. It's one thing to exhibit creepy behavior and another for flat out sexual assaults and rape.

Curious what happens with the rest of the allegations against him, I believe there were 2-3 in total.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #1905
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...n-spacey-2/amp

Both Civil and Criminal cases dropped against Spacey.

You know when Spacey came out with his Christmas time Frank Underwood "commerical" to say he was going to fight the charges against him I thought it was just a display of his arrogance.

Seeing what's unfolded over the last few weeks now, not sure what to think other than I truly hope his career hasn't been ruined and tarnished over untrue allegations.

I remember being crushed seeing one of my favourite actors being accused of this. It's one thing to exhibit creepy behavior and another for flat out sexual assaults and rape.

Curious what happens with the rest of the allegations against him, I believe there were 2-3 in total.
I dont know if the cases being dropped necessarily proclaim his innocence as much as they indicate the insanity and incompetence of the claimant and their lawyers.

This seems like one of those: "Not guilty...but maaaaybe not innocent either, but we cant prove it."

I generally dont want to get into guilty/not guilty based on crap like this, especially considering Spacey's behaviour after being accused which I would say, to put it generously, was batcrap insane.

That being said though, its instances where someone is accused of a very serious crime and by all indications never settled, admitted guilt or was proven to have committed any offence at all, there should be consideration of consequences for the accuser for having made false claims that generated considerable loss and damage to the accused.

I dont know if that would apply in this particular case, but it seems like the pendulum in scenarios like this simply swings too wildly for rational consideration of very, very serious charges.

In this particular case we've gone from:

"Hes a pedophile! String him up by his thumbs!"

To:

"Apparently he didnt do anything....so....hey Kev...how goes things?"

Its too wild. This isnt how a Justice system should work.

I dont know the ideal answer to this, but the case that sticks in my mind is the one against Aziz Ansari that basically forced him to keep his head down for a year and probably needlessly caused him a great deal of stress and grief as well as emotional and fiscal damage over little to nothing.

I know people are going to lambaste that opinion as 'Victim Blaming' but there need to be checks and balances on very serious claims and charges that even when are dropped or disproved are never forgotten.

A rape victim will never forget their ordeal nor truly heal, nor will someone falsely accused of such a heinous crime and been publicly dragged through the streets.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #1906
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't they pull cell phone texts from the kid where he was joking about the whole incident? It was a crappy case, that's the reason it was dropped. Spacey still seems shady to me, there are at least two other cases still open. It isn't a one off.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #1907
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know if the cases being dropped necessarily proclaim his innocence as much as they indicate the insanity and incompetence of the claimant and their lawyers.

This seems like one of those: "Not guilty...but maaaaybe not innocent either, but we cant prove it."

I generally dont want to get into guilty/not guilty based on crap like this, especially considering Spacey's behaviour after being accused which I would say, to put it generously, was batcrap insane.

That being said though, its instances where someone is accused of a very serious crime and by all indications never settled, admitted guilt or was proven to have committed any offence at all, there should be consideration of consequences for the accuser for having made false claims that generated considerable loss and damage to the accused.

I dont know if that would apply in this particular case, but it seems like the pendulum in scenarios like this simply swings too wildly for rational consideration of very, very serious charges.

In this particular case we've gone from:

"Hes a pedophile! String him up by his thumbs!"

To:

"Apparently he didnt do anything....so....hey Kev...how goes things?"

Its too wild. This isnt how a Justice system should work.

I dont know the ideal answer to this, but the case that sticks in my mind is the one against Aziz Ansari that basically forced him to keep his head down for a year and probably needlessly caused him a great deal of stress and grief as well as emotional and fiscal damage over little to nothing.

I know people are going to lambaste that opinion as 'Victim Blaming' but there need to be checks and balances on very serious claims and charges that even when are dropped or disproved are never forgotten.

A rape victim will never forget their ordeal nor truly heal, nor will someone falsely accused of such a heinous crime and been publicly dragged through the streets.
Isn’t the first Spacy allegation still out there and the guy had told other people prior to the whole me too movement occurring. Why does one false claim against a person lend any sort of credibility that the other earlier claims are false unless you could prove a connection between the accusers. It’s a real leap to say the reaction now should be sorry Kevin.

As for Aziz no one disputed anything that was stated. I think all Aziz said is that he had read the situation differently and was sorry. In that case since their was a set of agreed upon facts I don’t think you can say people jumped all over a false accusation. I’d agree that the punishment didn’t really fit with the infraction. But it doesn’t appear to be a case of fraud.

So spacey still likely a child abuser.

Aziz agreed more or less with what happened.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #1908
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
On a micro-level I agree, but on a macro-level that's how you prevent people from reporting their assaults. If it's your word against a powerful person's word, and he can afford the best lawyers in the world and you can't pay your student loan debts, you'd never want to report a sexual assault because it would bankrupt you in addition to ruining your reputation and forcing you to confront your attacker. There's enough evidence that we should be doing everything possible to make assault victims come forwards given the amount of rapes that go unreported, not hinder them.

Of course there is recourse already with defamation civil suits and the like, and false accusers can face criminal charges anyways.

What we should do is better protect the accused. Perhaps publication ban on names until found guilty. That's still not perfect because then you would people like Anthony Rapp unable to come forward to tell his story about Spacey.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #1909
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprisingly Epstein beaten in jail by other inmates, is now on suicide watch.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey...rk-2019-07-25/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #1910
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds more like a suicide attempt than an attack from other inmates.

I hope this coward isn’t able to go out like that.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #1911
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds more like a suicide attempt than an attack from other inmates.

I hope this coward isn’t able to go out like that.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #1912
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or he faked being attacked to try to get moved to a different facility.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #1913
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...duct-case.html

Quote:
Its ruling stated the sex was nonconsensual despite Roe’s explicit verbal consent because it was the product of Doe’s flattery.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #1914
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh FFS. Epstein is dead, apparently from suicide.

So he allegedly attempts suicide once and then gets placed under suicide watch. And then he is successful? Right. Got it.

Dead men don't talk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #1915
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, that's a suspicious death to me.

I'm not mourning that the bastard is dining in hell tonight.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #1916
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something is very fishy with this and I would never call myself a conspiracy theory type of guy. When a prisoner is on suicide watch they get put in rooms that don’t even have bed sheets. There is typically cameras in the room for monitoring and you don’t even get clothes you wear a thick blanket/dress called a baby doll. The fact he was able to hang himself is extremely puzzling as there should of been nothing he could do so with.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #1917
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Michael Moore said some thing to the effect of: billionaires don't know how to drive or do laundry, and they don't how to tie a noose either.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #1918
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm not mourning that the bastard is dining in hell tonight.
I am... not because he's dead but because lot's of equally reprehensible powerful people are probably now breathing sighs of relief as dead men tell no tales.

Also the amount of obnoxious conspiracy theories are going to get stupid and conspiracy theories are annoying at best and dangerous.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #1919
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with that, apparently all of the charges against him are dropped and he's considered innocent? I think his victims would have a good case for suing the prison. His cronies are probably pretty happy that he isn't going to be able to collaborate any of the claims against other perpetrators.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #1920
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote