Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #1041
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I recall reading an article he wrote a few years ago where he said if he was ever in a "last meal situation", he'd want it to be at Crazyweed in Canmore.
I went there with my wife once and after looking at the menu I decided to dine on rye & coke while my wife ate some weird looking dish. Not my kind of place.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #1042
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I went there with my wife once and after looking at the menu I decided to dine on rye & coke while my wife ate some weird looking dish. Not my kind of place.
They have a burger and pizza on the menu? Always thought it was a great spot for both the adventurous and the comfort food crowd.

Then again choosing rye & coke for an entire meal is never a poor decision...
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #1043
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at Crowfoot crossing the other day and noticed that both Tony Roma's and Montana's are closed. I know neither one is exactly top quality but it is a pretty significant hit to lose two eating options for that area.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #1044
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Was at Crowfoot crossing the other day and noticed that both Tony Roma's and Montana's are closed. I know neither one is exactly top quality but it is a pretty significant hit to lose two eating options for that area.
But that Keg is fully booked.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #1045
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
But that Keg is fully booked.
Yeah, I took the family for prime rib at Crowfoot Keg a few weeks ago on a Monday night and the dining room was full during the first round of seating. Pretty amazing.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #1046
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Crowfoot is weird that way. Nothing has done well in that theatre parking lot except Keg. Before Montanas and Tony Romas it was Outback that closed and maybe another place before that where Tony Romas is now.

And yet Joeys and Chianti always seem packed. I don't go that way all that often anymore though. Hudson's seems to do ok too.

It's not like Crowfoot is packed with great restaurants or anything.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #1047
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Royal Oak seems better for restaurants than Crowfoot from what I can tell.

Costa Vida >>> Mucho Burrito.

Jerusalem Shawarma is reliably good.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #1048
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. Which I find odd given Crowfoot is more centrally located. And yeah, Crowfoot has struggled somewhat with restaurants in that area which given the fact the theatres are there seems strange. Yet other resto's in other parts of the complex have been hanging around.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #1049
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the crowfoot cineplex was my go-to for movies like two decades ago back when that Tony Roma's was a Red Devil BBQ. unless they've done major renos recently, that theatre is pretty ghetto by modern standards so it's not gonna drive the same traffic.

if they updated things and turned it into a la-z-boy theatre like country hills, then I'd start going there again. but Market Mall is already going that direction and might push Crowfoot even further down the Night Out totem pole.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #1050
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Crowfoot is weird that way. Nothing has done well in that theatre parking lot except Keg. Before Montanas and Tony Romas it was Outback that closed and maybe another place before that where Tony Romas is now.

And yet Joeys and Chianti always seem packed. I don't go that way all that often anymore though. Hudson's seems to do ok too.

It's not like Crowfoot is packed with great restaurants or anything.
That is a weird corner. I visit the shopping area fairly regularly to go to Coop, Shoppers or SportChek but I have no idea what is over there despite being just down from SportChek. I actually didn't even know that there was a Keg over there. Crowfoot is a poorly designed shopping area.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #1051
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the crowfoot cineplex was my go-to for movies like two decades ago back when that Tony Roma's was a Red Devil BBQ. unless they've done major renos recently, that theatre is pretty ghetto by modern standards so it's not gonna drive the same traffic.

if they updated things and turned it into a la-z-boy theatre like country hills, then I'd start going there again. but Market Mall is already going that direction and might push Crowfoot even further down the Night Out totem pole.
Plus IIRC there are supposed to be new theatres going into the Trinity Hills developement jsut east of COP.

Crowfoot is absolutely our go to theatre as prices there are still affordable. I'm really hoping they don't shutter them when the new ones open at Trinity and/or Market Mall. That would leave a huge hole in the Crowfoot complex as well. For us Crowfoot is convenient and the fact they are cheaper is a huge bonus. Having to drive further plus pay more would probably be a deal breaker for all but the blockbuster movies for our household.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #1052
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Paros is awesome up there too.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #1053
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Paros is awesome up there too.

I frequent Jerusalem Shwarma in Royal Oak and I think it is amazing. I had no idea Paros existed until I read your post.

I tried Paros yesterday and was underwhelmed. Had a roasted lamb pita. Cost wasn't bad, $10, portion was quite a bit smaller than Jerusalem but not undersized for the cost. The pita is thick and tasty and the lamb was good but it seemed like they went light on the toppings. There wasn't much lamb in there. I think most of it was pita and the fries they stuff in there. Overall it was good but not great.

However what ruined it was the calamari. They claimed it was their homemade special and it was beyond awful. It is only rings and they looked and tasted like it came from a box from walmart. Not even the expensive brand though, the walmart brand stuff. A complete waste of $11. Dry, flavourless (except salt), hard and chewy. So bad that it makes me question the quality of the pita that I kind of liked.

I'll probably give them another shot and get a plate instead of just a wrap but definitely will never touch their calamari ever again. Gross. 0/10.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #1054
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Plus IIRC there are supposed to be new theatres going into the Trinity Hills developement jsut east of COP.

Crowfoot is absolutely our go to theatre as prices there are still affordable. I'm really hoping they don't shutter them when the new ones open at Trinity and/or Market Mall. That would leave a huge hole in the Crowfoot complex as well. For us Crowfoot is convenient and the fact they are cheaper is a huge bonus. Having to drive further plus pay more would probably be a deal breaker for all but the blockbuster movies for our household.
They may turn them into cheap theaters like the ones at Macleod and Canyon Meadows Drive.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #1055
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
They may turn them into cheap theaters like the ones at Macleod and Canyon Meadows Drive.
I could see that happening. Hoping not, their location is so convenient it would be a shame to lose them as an option.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #1056
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I frequent Jerusalem Shwarma in Royal Oak and I think it is amazing. I had no idea Paros existed until I read your post.

I tried Paros yesterday and was underwhelmed. Had a roasted lamb pita. Cost wasn't bad, $10, portion was quite a bit smaller than Jerusalem but not undersized for the cost. The pita is thick and tasty and the lamb was good but it seemed like they went light on the toppings. There wasn't much lamb in there. I think most of it was pita and the fries they stuff in there. Overall it was good but not great.

However what ruined it was the calamari. They claimed it was their homemade special and it was beyond awful. It is only rings and they looked and tasted like it came from a box from walmart. Not even the expensive brand though, the walmart brand stuff. A complete waste of $11. Dry, flavourless (except salt), hard and chewy. So bad that it makes me question the quality of the pita that I kind of liked.

I'll probably give them another shot and get a plate instead of just a wrap but definitely will never touch their calamari ever again. Gross. 0/10.
The wraps are a little much with the fries in there and everything. I usually get the plate with the pork gyros. I wonder if they changed the calamari, the times I had it there were all the squiggly parts in there not just rings. That being said, I haven't had it in months so perhaps they changed it.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #1057
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Crowfoot is scheduled for the recliner upgrade, so I don't think it's going cheap theatre.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #1058
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I have no idea how Schanks still exists. Such a run down ####hole, I don't think they have changed anything in there since 1995
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #1059
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We've been frequenting the new Paros on 8th Street SW in Beltline and really enjoy it. I think the pork pita wrap is the best one, and really like the calamari. I find you do have to watch the tzatziki, you end up tasting garlic for days.

Speaking of 8th St Restaurants, we've tried the other two in that little strip - Noodlebox and Little Lot Diner. Noodlebox is good, big portion sizes, but a bit expensive. Little Lot Diner is neat, I've had a chicken sandwich and a rueben and both were good. It's nice to have a few more quicker eating places that aren't big chains here in the neighbourhood.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #1060
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I have no idea how Schanks still exists. Such a run down ####hole, I don't think they have changed anything in there since 1995
It is shocking. I wonder if the Rec Room succeeds and generates a lot of business if they could consider expanding in Calgary and maybe taking over the Schanks Crowfoot location (assuming the owners would want to shut down and sell.)
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business