Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #621
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the thread title and thought there would be a gofundme link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #622
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Seeing the recent price drops on OLED's is very tempting, but I think I'm going to hold off until the new Micro LED units start becoming available. Should combine the best of both worlds of LED/OLED, hopefully the prices for the initial generation aren't too crazy
narrators voice: And they were, of course.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-24-2022 at 11:53 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #623
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
narrators voice: And they of were, of course.
Well even then hopefully they cause OLED prices to drop further at least
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #624
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Micro-led do seem like they'll be the endgame for 2D displays, doing just about everything well. Unfortunately they're still practically hand-made and there's a lot of challenges to getting it to mass production.

accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:17 AM   #625
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I saw the thread title and thought there would be a gofundme link.
Feel free to send me money. I already bought a TV, but it would help chip away at the ol CC bill.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #626
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

75" 4K for $660. Obviously can't have all the features, brightness, etc. But still.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09JV5WP1Q
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #627
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'm looking at this Sony OLED on sale at Costco for $400 off. https://www.costco.ca/sony-55%22-4k-...100763948.html

This would be replacing a 50" Panasonic plasma, wall mounted in a small family room. We also have a projector and 108" screen downstairs with all the surround sound etc.

Any pros and cons to this set? Given that the plasma is 13+ years old, I don't buy TVs very often so I don't mind the price. Just want to make sure I am getting decent quality and I know Sony has been good in the past.
Very happy with the purchase, overall dimensions are the same as the 50" plasma there is just a lot more screen and a lot less bevel. Was nice to pull the 98 lb plasma down and only have a 38 lb TV to put up. I've downloaded a few 4K test videos and it is pretty spectacular. Even with my nose 6 inches from the screen, the details are ridiculous. Sports / motion is pretty smooth, certainly nothing I'd notice for jagginess. And the black levels when watching a movie in the dark are amazing.

And I have also realized that I was seriously out of the loop - I don't need my Chromecast anymore, it's all built in. And there doesn't seem to be any ads etc like I have seen on my brother's Samsung. My parents visited the evening I put it up and mentioned their TV had also just packed it in. They bought the same one as me yesterday, I guess they liked it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 11:33 PM   #628
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was going to get that Sony but saw Costco had the C1 for $50 more, makes it my 3rd LG OLED.

I have the original C1 and its quite amazing how commoditized that model is now. Its a slightly different TV from the one I bought 2 years back. Just feels cheaper build quality, but the picture is just as great. For far less than I paid.

Race to bottom on OLED is on full speed
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #629
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m looking for a tv, roughly 50-65 inches. I would use it for things like Netflix, Nintendo switch, maybe a new Xbox or PS5 eventually. Nothing too crazy. I’ve had a smart tv and I like that for the ease of just loading up Netflix or YouTube. I’ll probably hang it on a wall, not sure if upstairs or downstairs.

I don’t really have a budget. That said, I don’t want to spend 10k. I want something good but it doesn’t have to be the best thing of all time. I’m just sort of overwhelmed with all the options and the last time I bought a tv was about 9 or 10 years ago.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #630
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at the Costco / Bestbuy options. General consensus is some of the Hisense / TCL TVs are the best value for money in that range.

If you're a 'picturephile' (is that a word?), the sky is the limit on price to max out picture quality specs, etc - but if you're just looking for a general TV with good specs, all the features and a solid panel, those are the brands that will likely tick the boxes you want. Plus you'll probably come in under or around $1k in the 50-65" range.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #631
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s just there are so many different options in that size range. If I can get something good for 1000 that would be glorious.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #632
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be setting up my basement with a new TV and audio system over the next six months or so. I have a built in with a fireplace, book shelves and storage cabinets and the tv would be sitting in the space above the fireplace.

I can fit up to a 70 inch panel in the space which should be more than big enough although I've started to wonder if I should get a motorized screen and projector instead. What are the thoughts and recommendations on the newer laser projectors vs traditional panel tvs? I would primarily be watching sports. The one concern I have right away is the additional setup and potentially having to run power to the ceiling location for the projector.

Should I pursue this idea or not?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #633
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
It’s just there are so many different options in that size range. If I can get something good for 1000 that would be glorious.
Sure you can. This is a very good TV.

But you can also get something great (i.e. a 65" OLED) for between 1500 and 2000 if you look. For example.

Basically, use Rtings.com. For any TV you might be looking at, it will give you a reasonably good sense of whether it sucks or is good.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #634
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

TCL 5-series is currently sitting at $849 for the 65", or $1,111 for the 75" (or you can get the TCL 6-series in a 65" for $1,195). Both impressive sets for the money.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #635
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep that's a good idea.

If anyone finds a deal on the 42" C2 Oled, send me a PM.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #636
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Look at the Costco / Bestbuy options. General consensus is some of the Hisense / TCL TVs are the best value for money in that range.

If you're a 'picturephile' (is that a word?), the sky is the limit on price to max out picture quality specs, etc - but if you're just looking for a general TV with good specs, all the features and a solid panel, those are the brands that will likely tick the boxes you want. Plus you'll probably come in under or around $1k in the 50-65" range.
Just an FYI though for those looking at these sets, the picture quality is pretty good but the internal CPU is where they cut costs for these TVs. So if you're planning on using the integrated Android TV/Roku OS, it's going to feel sluggish and unresponsive at times. And while 4K movies will look good, anything lower might look a little fuzzy or washed out because the upscaling with the cheaper CPUs isn't very good. I'd highly recommend grabbing a Shield TV or Google TV dongle depending on your budget for a better experience
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #637
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As somebody that stares at, calibrates, tests and evaluates monitors on the regular there is no better picture than the LG OLED line which is currently the C2/G2 line. The biggest issue with these is banding and roll offs (drop offs more like it) in the blacks. But these are issues inherent in all OLED and big screen TV's in general. For contrast and accurate colour nothing beats the LG OLEDs. If you have the cash and want a great picture you buy those.

With that said I have a 65" TCL series 6 I got on sale for $900. For that price nothing beats it. Honestly it is a great tv for that price and I have had zero issues with it. I also really like the Roku interface and find it better than Androids. But, you have to know it is a cheaper tv. I like it so much I am looking to buy another one or stepping down to the 5 to put in the basement. Still rocking a Panasonic plasma down there from like 2010.

If money is a concern HiSense and TCL are really good choices. But Sony, LG, Samsung and Panasonic all make great TVs. I might even say Panasonic's OLED is better than LGs but they are not available in Canada and more expensive while still using the same panel as LG (LG builds all WRGB OLED panels).
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #638
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The S95B QD OLED is on par with LG's OLEDs. Not cheap though, so probably not what metallicat is looking for... and only comes in 55 and 65 so that doesn't help me in my search for a 42.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #639
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is the 42" C2 available in Canada? For some reason I thought it was not. I believe Panasonic makes a 42" in their new L line . But same thing, not sure it is available in Canada.

If you have bucks LG makes 32" pro that looks great but will set you back $4K.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #640
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, it's 1500 on Amazon right now with 1 day delivery but I suspect it'll get down a bit lower in a few weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: