Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #3521
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I completely agree that you absolutely have to develop elite talent within your own system to compete for championships. However supplementing talent via free agency is crucial as well. Washington Nationals did it with Howie Kendrick and Adam Eaton. Red Sox did it with JD Martinez and David Price. The Astros developed an incredible roster and supplemented it with Charlie Morton and later Michael Brantley.

Free agents are great because they don’t cost assets and only cost money, which as we all know Rogers has a lot of, but the Canadian dollar doesn’t help us. However those teams I listed above were really able to supplement their rosters with talent via trades because of their immense pools of prospect talent. The Red Sox adding Sale, Kimbrel, Porcello. Astros adding Cole, Verlander. Also the Dodgers adding Betts via trade.

The Jays are in a great position to do both, add players via free agency due to their financial flexibility and through trades because of their immense prospect capital.

I say go for it and grab Springer and Realmuto and trade for Lindor and accelerate this rebuild. Why not. We have loads of talent coming up the pipeline.
The Astros and Nationals are good comparisons. They’re not an unlimited budget team like LA or Boston, and the free agents you reference for say Houston were cheap reclamation (Morton) or veteran on short, value deals (Brantley). Cole and Verlander were acquired in trades on good contracts. Now Verlander was signed to a rich extension, but only for two years.

Springer is a budget buster looking for term and big dollars. Not worth it IMO especially when the owner is a public company and has to make long term profitability for its shareholders a priority.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #3522
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re willing to pay for Springer go the extra mile for Bauer.

The Nationals went all in on Scherzer and that is what helped win a WS

I’d rather go for an Elite Ace then a 30 year old OF
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 10:59 PM   #3523
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Bauer, but I don't think he is anywhere near as good as a guy like Scherzer.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #3524
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the same boat. The part that really bothers me about Bauer is his mouth. You either love the guy or hate him. Why does a teammate have to be so polarizing? I put Scherzer up there as well, with Bauer the slight tier below. Anyway, Bauer I read was anticipating a $150MM contract. Good luck to any team giving that away to a pitcher.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #3525
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Bauer changed his mind from doing one year deals for the rest of his career? 30M for one year is a good gamble.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #3526
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
In the latest chapter of Trevor Bauer’s unconventional trip through free agency, the right-hander revealed in a video that he had a call set to talk with the Blue Jays — specifically mentioning that he planned to talk with their pitching coach (Pete Walker) and high performance coach (presumably VP of high performance Angus Mugford).

While many fans have had some fun with the fact that the Blue Jays have been linked to virtually every free agent on the market this winter, Bauer’s meeting with them is still plenty notable. Few clubs are expected to be major spenders this winter, but Toronto is among the likeliest teams to sign a major free agent. The Blue Jays’ current $84MM projected payroll (via FanGraphs/Roster Resource’s Jason Martinez) is about half the franchise-record $163MM, set back in 2017.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...s-meeting.html
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #3527
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

An actual interesting article from Sportsnet, and I am flabbergasted.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...ason-approach/

Amongst the pitchers reportedly being shopped are Carlos Carrasco out of Cleveland, and Kyle Hendricks of the Cubs. Both would garner a Darvish type of return, which was a decent rotation starter and four prospects between 10 and 20 organizationally.

If the Cubs are really desperate to shop Kris Bryant as well...

Kyle Hendricks (three years/14) and Kris Bryant (one year/18.6)
for
Trent Thornton (four years of control), Teoscar Hernandez (three years of control), CJ Van Eyk, Otto Lopez and Kevin Smith.

That pushes Vlad into 1st base/3rd base relief, Rowdy into DH/1st base relief, Davis or Fisher into RF. Starting rotation of Ryu/Hendricks/Ray/Pearson/Roark.

Very little risk and not a lot to give up.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #3528
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Yep. If I were the Jays I would be all over both those pitchers, especially Hendricks IMO.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #3529
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

One of these days something is going to happen. I think.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346176421509652481
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #3530
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
One of these days something is going to happen. I think.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346176421509652481
Old 01-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #3531
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hendriks would be a nice little pickup for the bullpen. He’s had a pretty interesting career before really finding his groove in Oakland the last season and a half. He also pitched quite well for the Jays in 2015.

Just another rumour to add to the pile.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #3532
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hendricks seems to have bulked up since his time in Toronto. I'm not opposed to bringing him in. I just wouldn't break any bank for him.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #3533
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Hendricks seems to have bulked up since his time in Toronto. I'm not opposed to bringing him in. I just wouldn't break any bank for him.
Knowing the As they probably switched to cotton uniforms like George Costanza suggested, and they shrunk.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #3534
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any signings yet??

No?

Shocking.

MLB free agency, you just keep on "MLB free agencying"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #3535
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha! It’s so true.

Every time I get a notification from my score app or see this thread bumped I get a little excited. Only to be let down time and time again.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #3536
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to bump this again and make people think something has happened, but at the very least we will find out what happens with starting pitcher Sugano today, as his posting deadline is today. Jays are rumored to have interest, many think there is a good chance he just goes back to Japan. His upside is a good #2 SP, but more than likely a bottom rotation starter.

Overall, the speculation is just ridiculous at this point. Heard Rosenthal say the other day that he'd be absolutely shocked if the Jays didn't land AT LEAST one big name free agent, if not more. Then yesterday Morosi was on Tim and Sid saying he thinks the Jays will most likely strike out on all of Bauer, Springer, Realmuto and DJLM. SO both ends of the spectrum there.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #3537
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Conspiracy theory here, but what if MLB has made a mandate to wait until the Super Bowl is done. By that point they would have a much larger percentage of the average sports fan's, and more importantly, media's focus.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #3538
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Padres fans and now Mets fans going to have all the fun this off season I guess.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #3539
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The Jays aren't going to get any one of significance. Not this year. Are they even sure they are going to be able to play in Rogers?

No FA is going to sign on with a team that cant even play at home.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #3540
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lindor was a cool dream but not sure it was ever realistic. To take out of the top end of their farm system for a 1 year player, who i think would be hard pressed to sign long term, never really made sense to me. I don't think the Jays are there yet.

I think the Jays are going to get someone, simply because at some point these FA are going to want to get paid and the Jays are one of the few teams with the flexibility to do so. Money will eventually talk as the season draws closer.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post: