Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 06:56 PM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default Toronto Vacation

My search of the forum, bizarrely, shows there is no thread on Toronto travel.

We're **this** close to pulling the trigger on a family vacation to Toronto this year.

A few things that we'd like to do:
  1. CN Tower
  2. Toronto Zoo
  3. Ripley's Aquarium
  4. Hockey Hall of Fame
  5. Canada's Wonderland
  6. Blue Jays will be playing the greatest, reigning, defending World Series Champions so obviously that's on the list

Anything else that would be good for family activities? The kids are 7 and 2.

Anywhere online to get discount tickets? Best deals? Etc

Also, travelling from downtown to Canada's Wonderland by public transit (or would taxi/uber be better)?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:09 PM   #2
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't know your budget, but the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and the Ontario Science Centre are always pretty cool, although admittedly I haven't been in years. There's a castle in downtown Toronto called Casa Loma that's interesting if you're into that sort of thing, although 2 might be a bit young.

You can take transit to Wonderland.

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/bl...-to-wonderland

If you're flying to Pearson, there is a train that goes right downtown (not sure where you'll be staying). Alternatively, from out east you can definitely fly Porter right to BIlly Bishop. There's a tunnel from the island to the mainland, but there's also a ferry.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:09 PM   #3
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We have family in Onterrible, so end up there every year or so. Last year the kids were old enough to do a few touristy things, so we hit up Toronto.
1) we decided to bite the bullet and stay at the Toronto Marriott City Center Hotel for one night with a field view and it was amazing. It all depends on schedule and who they are playing, but we stayed for about $1K, but it was so worth it. Our kids were 5 and 3, so it was amazing to be able to watch the game and have different activities set up for them as their excitement for baseball ebbed and flowed. Watching batting practice and how they set up the field was super cool too. We spent the next morning watching the field crew get everything ready and the roof open.
2) the aquarium is unreal! It is not a super long walk from Roger’s Center, so we went there before the baseball game. It was super busy, but does have a lot of space and activities, so it doesn’t seem quite as crazy.
3) there always seem to be cool things going on downtown and we actually were able to hit up a Disney experience while we were there too.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:14 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Don't know your budget, but the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and the Ontario Science Centre are always pretty cool, although admittedly I haven't been in years. There's a castle in downtown Toronto called Casa Loma that's interesting if you're into that sort of thing, although 2 might be a bit young.

You can take transit to Wonderland.

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/bl...-to-wonderland

If you're flying to Pearson, there is a train that goes right downtown (not sure where you'll be staying). Alternatively, from out east you can definitely fly Porter right to BIlly Bishop. There's a tunnel from the island to the mainland, but there's also a ferry.
I loathe the Big Smoke (lots of family there) but these are all excellent suggestions.

Also...maybe the HHOF?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:15 PM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Welcome to TO (soon!)

Couple of suggestions and things:

1. Check out a TFC game. BMO field is a fantastic sports venue and MLS has some good presentation. Plus the fan experience is second to none for a sports event. Depending on when you come to TO, check out the Ex.

2. AGO is free if you’re under 25 and free for all on Wednesdays 6-9. Does not include special exhibitions.

3. Check out the Beaches during the warm months. Great way to see the lake, restaurants, shops, etc.

4. Always have cash. A lot of restaurants offer 10-15% off the bill if you pay with cash. That's a TO tip for sure.

5. Gotta try dosa or roti while you're here. TO also has the best Jamaican food in the country IMO.

As for travel, the TTC is your friend. If you want to save on Uber to Canada's Wonderland, take Line 1 pretty much to York U or Finch and Uber the rest of the way. Will likely save you a few bucks.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:18 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve never considered Toronto and vacation in the same sentence. Although I suppose going there is a sentence.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:23 PM   #7
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Also...maybe the HHOF?

#4 on his original list. Unless you mean the Hamunaptran Hieroglyphs Oscillating Festival, but that might be kind of niche.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:27 PM   #8
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’d hit the airport, it’s one of the worst in the world, and take a flight to New York.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:31 PM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Plan is to stay at my aunt's place downtown.

Also, we'd likely fly Air Canada from Sydney to Montreal, then Montreal to Billy Bishop.

Just realizing now how expensive tickets to attractions can be!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:32 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have a car, you can also go spend a day in Niagara Falls. It's like 90 minutes trip one-way. I kind of like it there. The Falls of course, but also the cheesyness of it all.

If you don't have a car, most hotels will know of daily bus shuttle services.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:34 PM   #11
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Plan is to stay at my aunt's place downtown.

Also, we'd likely fly Air Canada from Sydney to Montreal, then Montreal to Billy Bishop.

Just realizing now how expensive tickets to attractions can be!
Ripleys Aquarium is dope. It’s the only 100% must see in my opinion. But I have my own beefs with the area in general. Have a great trip!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:34 PM   #12
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like you have the majority covered. Have a great time!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:37 PM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Dafuq dude? Toronto is so lame lol. Casa Loma is neat, then you realize how lame it is as you leave, then feel bad for Toronto that such a weak thing to do is high on the list of things to do.

It's like a humongous Airdrie.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:38 PM   #14
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If you have a car, you can also go spend a day in Niagara Falls. It's like 90 minutes trip one-way. I kind of like it there. The Falls of course, but also the cheesyness of it all.

If you don't have a car, most hotels will know of daily bus shuttle services.
All kidding aside (I’m sure him and his family will have a great time in Toronto), recommending someone drive to Niagara Falls is borderline abusive.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:40 PM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dafuq dude? Toronto is so lame lol. Casa Loma is neat, then you realize how lame it is as you leave, then feel bad for Toronto that such a weak thing to do is high on the list of things to do.

You gotta cut slack, he has family that lives there and he’s from PEI or something where they haven’t even upgraded from dialup internet yet. This is gonna be huge.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:44 PM   #16
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You gotta cut slack, he has family that lives there and he’s from PEI or something where they haven’t even upgraded from dialup internet yet. This is gonna be huge.
I've been on this forum since 2003, and honestly, I think this is my all-time favourite post

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:47 PM   #17
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

My 7 year old loves airplanes, skyscrapers, and roller coasters

My ball team is playing the Jays the weekend we're looking at going

I've got family there, and my wife is a huge Murdock Mysteries fan. Not going to see the sites from Murdock in Airdrie!

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:55 PM   #18
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The CityPass will save you a bit on several of the attractions you want to go to.

Funny sliver mentioned Casa Loma. We went as an afterthought and ended up really enjoying it. Though my kids were 16 and 18 at the time.

I was just there for a couple of Jays games and the Rogers renos are pretty great.

Niagara falls would also be a good trip with your kids. Clifton Hill area is goofy but fun.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:32 PM   #19
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I visit Toronto frequently, and its always amusing how few tourist activities there are for a city that large and "important".

If you want to go off the beaten path, the BAPS Hindu temple in Brampton/Etobicoke is a pretty impressive sight.

There's also no shortage of good Chinese food in Markham and the eastern/northeast side of Scarborough. The best places are not English-friendly though.

There's also no shortage of Caribbean restaurants in Scarborough for all types of Caribbean food - e.g. Trini, Hakka, Bajan, Guyana, etc.

It's pretty cool how you can more or less travel the world in the GTA without having to leave Canada.

Last edited by boogerz; 04-28-2024 at 08:36 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:48 PM   #20
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
My 7 year old loves airplanes, skyscrapers, and roller coasters

My ball team is playing the Jays the weekend we're looking at going

I've got family there, and my wife is a huge Murdock Mysteries fan. Not going to see the sites from Murdock in Airdrie!
In that case, look up the Murdoch Mysteries escape game at Casa Loma. They have a few good ones there. My favorite is the Bootleggers.

The best is at Escape Games Canada near Sheppard West station.

I will also second the suggestion to go to woodbine Beach if it's a nice day.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote