Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
And pick Sam or Ekblad?

If it's not too too huge of an overpayment (which it would probably have to be), I wouldn't mind Burke doing that to get Ekblad.
Ekblad for sure.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #22
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Since Buffalo has a decent young group of dmen that they have recently drafted it wouldn't surprise me to see them trade down. I don't think they will trade down to 3rd but I could see them trading down to take Sam instead of Ekblad.
flamesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If we took a sub point per game forward at 4th overall, I think somebody would have to restrain me.

It's not even like he's a big player. He's below average in height.

Jake Virtanen is listed at 6'1 - 210 on the WHL's official site (and 6'1 209 on eliteprospects.com)

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9453

That is impressive, pretty much Iginla - like stature for the 18 year old !
He may end up as 6'2 - 215 powerhouse and honestly if we can't get Ekblad and Reinhart I wouldn't be dissapointed to see Virtanen with a flaming C on his chest.
I see Burke going after big guys and, from what I've seen, Virtanen plays with heart and passion every night (which cannot be said about Draissaitl and Dal Colle)

Last edited by playmaker; 02-14-2014 at 07:30 AM.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #24
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It may be a weak draft, but it would be great to either move up from the current draft position we get in, or grab another first rounder. Can't really go wrong with having another one of those since first rounders usually turn out to be the ones that make it in the big league. If we are the third worst, I hope we shoot for a the second or first pick. Very, very unlikely Buffalo or Edmonton would give up their pick though.

I think our team is going to play decent hockey for the last bit of the season, so we'll probably be 5th. Better yet, probably 6th and continue to be the team that has never had a top 5 pick.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Since Buffalo has a decent young group of dmen that they have recently drafted it wouldn't surprise me to see them trade down. I don't think they will trade down to 3rd but I could see them trading down to take Sam instead of Ekblad.
So they trade down to 2nd? Why would any team with the #2 give them anything knowing they want Reinhart? You are going to get Ekblad anyhow.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #26
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So they trade down to 2nd? Why would any team with the #2 give them anything knowing they want Reinhart? You are going to get Ekblad anyhow.
If buffalo is 1, Edmonton is 2 and Calgary is 3, u canbet there will be a stampede wrestling style bidding war for the #1 pick!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
Money Baer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
If buffalo is 1, Edmonton is 2 and Calgary is 3, u canbet there will be a stampede wrestling style bidding war for the #1 pick!
True, although, i'd rather just keep our assets and draft Sam Bennett. Having a one-two punch of Bennett / Monahan for the next decade+ is very exciting thought!
Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #28
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Baer View Post
True, although, i'd rather just keep our assets and draft Sam Bennett. Having a one-two punch of Bennett / Monahan for the next decade+ is very exciting thought!
If we can't move up from 3 to get Ekblad and have to settle for Bennett I am ok with that. If we draft later than that though there is no player that really excites me with the exception of Fleury but he is not a top 5 pick imo. If we finish 4th I would rather we trade down 2-3 spots and grab Fleury plus maybe a 2nd or something.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
GoFlamesGo1989
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm totally not in the Ekblad camp.

Reinhart
Bennett
DallColle
Virtanen
GoFlamesGo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #30
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
Still 20+ games left, Oilers arent THAT far behind.

Once we ship some vets out we could take a big nose dive, especially since most of the other teams will be fighting for playoffs and will be playing well.

We could still very easily finish 29th.

Only problem is it seems like every time we lose the oilers lose.... I bet they will make sure we don't gain any ground from here on in.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #31
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Only problem is it seems like every time we lose the oilers lose.... I bet they will make sure we don't gain any ground from here on in.

Rather than hope for my team to lose... I'm going to hope that the flames just get lucky and win the draft lottery. It would be awesome to finish above the oilers and the Canucks in the standings and win the draft lottery and end up getting the pick. I won't ever cheer for the flames to lose games.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #32
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Rather than hope for my team to lose... I'm going to hope that the flames just get lucky and win the draft lottery. It would be awesome to finish above the oilers and the Canucks in the standings and win the draft lottery and end up getting the pick. I won't ever cheer for the flames to lose games.
Absolutely I agree, I was just making a comment to the other poster. I think Edmonton is bent on sucking one way or another. I would rather see the Flames show an effort every night and promote a winning culture from top to bottom. Would be nice to get a break on the draft lottery!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #33
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Absolutely I agree, I was just making a comment to the other poster. I think Edmonton is bent on sucking one way or another. I would rather see the Flames show an effort every night and promote a winning culture from top to bottom. Would be nice to get a break on the draft lottery!
next year."

Just thought I would finish your sentence for you since you forgot to.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #34
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

2015 is really loaded with top players. Just have to be patient, we'll get there.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #35
Money Baer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
2015 is really loaded with top players. Just have to be patient, we'll get there.
McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal, Konecny, Kylington, etc.

I've heard one scout say it's the deepest top 5 in NHL history! (I'll try and find the link)
Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Money Baer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If we took a sub point per game forward at 4th overall, I think somebody would have to restrain me.

It's not even like he's a big player. He's below average in height.
Many arguments for not taking Virtanen that early, but PPG & height shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list.

He is 6'1" and already a very solid 210lb and plays like a freight train & one of the best skaters in the draft - the fastest in testing at Top Prospects game - forward & backward skating. Not to mention his shot is dynamite.

It's not where I'd necessarily take him either (although I would contemplate), as much as I like the kid as a prospect. More of a gut feeling when prepping the mock, given the Burkie Factor.

As far as PPG he does have 56 P in 58 G on a deep Hitmen squad.
Of note, in 2014 he has 26 pts in 22 GP thus far. In january he had 20 pts in 14 GP, 13 being goals. Can definitely envision him on Monahan's wing eventually.

FYI: Many scouts have Virtanen approaching or possibly surpassing Draisatl on their lists.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Many arguments for not taking Virtanen that early, but PPG & height shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list.

He is 6'1" and already a very solid 210lb and plays like a freight train & one of the best skaters in the draft - the fastest in testing at Top Prospects game - forward & backward skating. Not to mention his shot is dynamite.

It's not where I'd necessarily take him either (although I would contemplate), as much as I like the kid as a prospect. More of a gut feeling when prepping the mock, given the Burkie Factor.

As far as PPG he does have 56 P in 58 G on a deep Hitmen squad.
Of note, in 2014 he has 26 pts in 22 GP thus far. In january he had 20 pts in 14 GP, 13 being goals. Can definitely envision him on Monahan's wing eventually.

FYI: Many scouts have Virtanen approaching or possibly surpassing Draisatl on their lists.
Isn't he another LW though?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Isn't he another LW though?
Virtanen plays both LW/RW
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #39
GoFlamesGo1989
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Virtanen is the most underrated player in the draft
GoFlamesGo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoFlamesGo1989 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #40
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we could get another 1st from Cammalleri or something and he were available with that pick I'd probably take him
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 nhl mock draft , nhl mock draft