Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #541
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No chance this city votes yes for the Olympics.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #542
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames new arena part of the deal, and this city would vote yes faster than a dog pounces on a bone.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #543
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Flames new arena part of the deal, and this city would vote yes faster than a dog pounces on a bone.
I have my doubts on that as well.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #544
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is part of the deal, if you read between the lines:
$100M earmarked for a new 5k seat stadium
$80M earmarked for Saddledome upgrades.

This is $180M that will be (IS) put toward the building of the new arena.

I wish the Flames owners would come out and say 'If you vote yes, a new arena will be built', because this is the best opportunity for it to happen.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #545
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I spoke with Councillor Davidson today at the new library today and he told me that negotiations are going well and he is confident a deal will be made with CESC.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #546
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I spoke with Councillor Davidson today at the new library today and he told me that negotiations are going well and he is confident a deal will be made with CESC.
A deal made separate from the Olympic bid?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #547
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
It is part of the deal, if you read between the lines:
$100M earmarked for a new 5k seat stadium
$80M earmarked for Saddledome upgrades.

This is $180M that will be (IS) put toward the building of the new arena.

I wish the Flames owners would come out and say 'If you vote yes, a new arena will be built', because this is the best opportunity for it to happen.
I’m assuming the Saddledome would still be used for the Olympics even if a new rink is built - wouldn’t it still need upgrades?
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #548
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd vote for the Olympics if the IOC guarantees NHL players. I'm only half joking. The revenue implication could be huge.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #549
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
A deal made separate from the Olympic bid?

That was my understanding from the conversation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #550
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
That was my understanding from the conversation.
My memory isn't that great these days but aren't you the original 'Orange Julius' guy?

If you're not, you probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

If you are, just having some fun - no offense intended
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #551
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I’m assuming the Saddledome would still be used for the Olympics even if a new rink is built - wouldn’t it still need upgrades?
Doubt it. If there is a new arena the Dome would be getting torn down right after the Olympics, can't see them putting any money into it.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #552
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
My memory isn't that great these days but aren't you the original 'Orange Julius' guy?

If you're not, you probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

If you are, just having some fun - no offense intended
Haha - I’ve beeen around long enough to get what you are talking about. But that wasn't me.

Lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #553
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's what's in the Bid plan for the Saddledome work:
  • Enhanced accessibility of venue and improved spectator services
  • Extended life of ice plant
  • Structural and mechanical upgrades
Some of that money would still likely need to be spent, but not nearly as much.

My understanding is that figure skating and short track aren't as demanding on the ice plant as hockey. Also, if the Flames move into their new arena in 2022, that's an extra four years that the ice plant won't be in full-time use, which should extend its lifespan.

If the Saddledome is used for figure skating and short track rather than hockey, there are much fewer events in those sports, so the crowd-control issues aren't as big as they are for hockey. With hockey, you're looking at 2 or 3 games every day in the building, with about 4.5 hours between games. That means you have to be able to clear people out after one game and get people in for the next one efficiently, plus all the clean-up and food prep work that needs to be done between games.

With figure skating and short track sharing the building, there are very few days with two events in one day (in Korea, there were only two days with figure skating in the morning and short track at night). All other days, it's only one event per day. Also, when you look at the structure of the events, there are many more short breaks between races and skaters rather than just the two long intermissions in hockey. That should put less strain on the washrooms and concessions because there isn't likely to be the same rushes to the concourse that you see during a hockey game.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #554
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd vote for the Olympics if the IOC guarantees NHL players. I'm only half joking. The revenue implication could be huge.
Can’t find the quote, but recall Bettman virtually guaranteeing that NHL players would participate in a North American Olympic Games.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #555
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting to lean more towards yes. This truly is teh only real opportunity we have to get federal and provincial funding for infrastructure projects that we desparately need to be seen as a modern destination city.

A c-train to the airport is imperative to boost tourism and just to make our city better.

Fixing Crowchild between kensington and 24th, etc. there are so many benefits, and I'm starting to think this may be the only opportunity to get any government funding for any of these types of projects.

If they would actually put a new NHL size arena in their proposal, whether it actually gets built as part of the proposal or separately, I think a lot of people would support it.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #556
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Can’t find the quote, but recall Bettman virtually guaranteeing that NHL players would participate in a North American Olympic Games.
Maybe, but I want IOC to guarantee it and pay $$ if it doesn't happen. It's the difference between a 5000 seat arena being sufficient for most games and needing an NHL size one for most games (even the lesser teams as long as there's a couple NHLers on the team).
Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #557
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I'm starting to lean more towards yes. ...

A c-train to the airport is imperative to boost tourism and just to make our city better.

Although I agree with the rest of your quote, I still do not get how an Airport LRT boosts tourism or even makes our city better?

Hard for a tourist to do anything in the City without some sort of personal transportation. Maybe get by for a day, but after that makes more sense to have a car. We will never be Paris or New York for public transportation.

Even for people flying out of YYC, a train is not very convenient as you still have to get to a train station, with family members and luggage. Take a taxi or bus to lrt platform, then train to airport? No thanks.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #558
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Although I agree with the rest of your quote, I still do not get how an Airport LRT boosts tourism or even makes our city better?

Hard for a tourist to do anything in the City without some sort of personal transportation. Maybe get by for a day, but after that makes more sense to have a car. We will never be Paris or New York for public transportation.

Even for people flying out of YYC, a train is not very convenient as you still have to get to a train station, with family members and luggage. Take a taxi or bus to lrt platform, then train to airport? No thanks.
The train to downtown Vancouver from the airport is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to go. Super convenient.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #559
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Not really close to what he said. He said the only scenario he could maybe see the NHL in the Olympics again is if it's in North America. But the issues between the NHL and IOC are the big problem, and seeing as 2026 would desperately need the NHL to be financial viable, the NHL would have the hammer on the IOC.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #560
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The train to downtown Vancouver from the airport is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to go. Super convenient.
Once it's there, it becomes heavily relied upon from non-resident guests - especially business travellers, which has been a huge convenience.

Having a connected train from a major airport to downtown is a huge leg up for a variety of people. I would be taking that 100% of the time to the airport unless I was running late. Even then it would likely be faster than being stuck on Deerfoot on a snowy day.

Hell, even people who commute in from Airdrie and the north metro communities could have a pretty easy-to-access Park and Ride without having to actually come any further than than the airport.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote