Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #14061
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Not sure how you can say this.
Quite easily.

Multiple coaches over multiple years have seen him and decided he isnt a center...or you know, that's where he would be.

And the reason is his defensive awareness, which for a C is completely different than that of a winger, simply is not good enough to this point.

Maybe he has learned it and nobody noticed nor has he shown it in the hundreds of practices he has been part of?

I mean....I suppose that is possible. But that's what you are arguing if you believe otherwise.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #14062
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd say Monahan was untouchable but then again, how many people saw a Hamilton trade?
The first or second trade?

The first was a surprise but Hamilton wasn’t rumored to be on the block until close to the draft. The Flames trading those picks was a surprise but not shocking.

Last summers Hamilton trade was obvious when the season ended imo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #14063
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I actually think Bennett should be given another shot at C. Jankowski hasn't done the trick and, if he still has Neal, they might get better chemistry closer together. Put Mangiapane or Dube on the other wing.
Doesn't this just scream how he isnt a C(in the coaches eyes) though? I mean he couldn't supplant Jankowski as one....so how much of a factor could he be there?

Funny you mention Dube because I would expect that BT and crew project him even ahead of Bennett as a C.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #14064
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Bennett cant play C, Patrick can. One will be 23 in camp, the other will turn 21.

One has 2 years under his belt, the other has 4+.

But whatever....I am not downplaying Bennett...but instead Im honest about what he is thus far in his career and what he projects to be going forward.

Im not advocating trading for Patrick but that is certainly the type of guy that I would see BT going after IF he was trading Monahan...not that hard to figure out.
It is hard to figure out why Treliving would target a guy who scored as many points as a 20 year old as Monahan had goals at the same age?

Patrick is a terrible target and would be a significant downgrade on Monahan.

Toonage I can’t believe you suggested Gaudreau for him (or that is who the Flyers would want). No team is giving up a proven young player on a good contract for a player like Patrick.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #14065
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Toonage I can’t believe you suggested Gaudreau for him (or that is who the Flyers would want). No team is giving up a proven young player on a good contract for a player like Patrick.
I suggested that would be what Philadelphia would want. Never said the Flames would do it but if they came knocking that would be what the Flyers put forward.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #14066
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
It is hard to figure out why Treliving would target a guy who scored as many points as a 20 year old as Monahan had goals at the same age?

Patrick is a terrible target and would be a significant downgrade on Monahan.

Again....IF he was to trade Monahan (which i do not believe he is) he would, (i think obviously), want a young potential #1 C in return as part of things. Nolan Patrick is clearly that type of guy.

What's so difficult to believe about that?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #14067
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again....IF he was to trade Monahan (which i do not believe he is) he would, (i think obviously), want a young potential #1 C in return as part of things. Nolan Patrick is clearly that type of guy.

What's so difficult to believe about that?
I disagree that Patrick is the player you are describing. He was a high pick but I don’t think he will ever be the player Monahan is today
Old 05-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #14068
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree that Patrick is the player you are describing. He was a high pick but I don’t think he will ever be the player Monahan is today
So you don't think Patrick is a young potential top line C?

OK then.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #14069
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan for Patrick sounds like a rebuilding move. I think that we need to go for it while Gio is still playing elite hockey.

If we move off the core for potential pieces, then we might as well trade Gio too and figure out how to beat Edmonton or New Jersey in the draft lottery.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #14070
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually think Bennett should be given another shot at C. Jankowski hasn't done the trick and, if he still has Neal, they might get better chemistry closer together. Put Mangiapane or Dube on the other wing.
Bennett was never as bad as Jankowski has been at centre. I'm not going to hammer on Jankowski, but everything about his game (incl. his success on the PK) tells me that he thinks the game better on the wing. As the season wore on, we started seeing Bennett line up for draws more and more as well.

Now maybe this past year at centre will be important for his development and he'll be stronger next year, but I saw no growth during 5v5 play for Jankowski this season.

(...I'm also not sure Jankowski will be here next season, I won't be surprised to see him moved in part of a deal as his play this season/in the playoffs seemed to embody a lot about what failed this team down the stretch)

Quote:
So you don't think Patrick is a young potential top line C?

OK then.
He is a potential Sean Monahan in my eyes, nothing more than that. That's not insignificant, but if we're having the conversation about improving upon Monahan, getting a younger version with the same potential upside of what Monahan is makes no bloody sense.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-22-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #14071
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bennett was never as bad as Jankowski has been at centre. I'm not going to hammer on Jankowski, but everything about his game (incl. his success on the PK) tells me that he thinks the game better on the wing.

Now maybe this past year at centre will be important for his development and he'll be stronger next year, but I saw no growth during 5v5 play for Jankowski this season.

(...I'm also not sure Jankowski will be here next season, I won't be surprised to see him moved in part of a deal as his play this season/in the playoffs seemed to embody a lot about what failed this team down the stretch)
Jankowski was immediately better than bennett at centre which is why when Janko was called up from the minors he immediately took over the third line C position that shifted Bennett to the wing.

The team also improved pretty much right away as well.

Aside from GranteedEV i'm surprised this is even a thing on this board. Bennett barely thinks the game well enough to play on the wing and some thing giving him the responsibilities of the centre is going to see him improve?

The organization has clearly moved on from Bennett being a centre, evidenced by two separate coaching staffs playing him at the wing and them giving a 3 year deal to a UFA centre and trading significant assets for a top 6 centre in the same offseason last year.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #14072
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't this just scream how he isnt a C(in the coaches eyes) though? I mean he couldn't supplant Jankowski as one....so how much of a factor could he be there?

Funny you mention Dube because I would expect that BT and crew project him even ahead of Bennett as a C.
I agree they probably project Dube as a 2-3 C. But I think he starts next year as a W. And probably on the third line.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #14073
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect the Bruins arent all that much behind them.
Quick look at their roster makes them look pretty averagish sized to me... a few big guys and a few small guys with a bunch of guys that are 6'0 and 6'1 in-between.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #14074
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sean Couturier For Jankow Brodie and our first.

Johnny Couturier Lindholm
Chucky Money Neal
Bennett Backlund Dube
Mangiapane Ryan Reaves

Frolik flipped for a pick than pick flipped for Reaves
Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #14075
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
Sean Couturier For Jankow Brodie and our first.

Johnny Couturier Lindholm
Chucky Money Neal
Bennett Backlund Dube
Mangiapane Ryan Reaves

The Flyers would laugh at that offer and block Treliving's number
Old 05-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #14076
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The only realistic assets (ie not Gaudreau or Tkachuk) I can see being of interest for Couturier are Hanifin, Monahan, maaaaybe Bennett but not by himself, and the 1st.

I don't think the Flyers and Flames match up at all well here.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #14077
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
As well as teach the difference between THEN and THAN.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #14078
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Why?

Brodie will fetch a 1st and second likely oh his own.
Jankow is good for a late first early second
Plus our first this year

2 firsts and 2 seconds for him is hardly laughable to the point of hanging up the phone.

Equivalent to what got a us a young Dougie Hamilton and I would argue defenceman are worth more in trades than pretty much any other position.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #14079
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
As well as teach the difference between THEN and THAN.
Huge pet peeve.

Its getting out of control now.

Two completely different words and meanings.

I may go on a mission to point it out moving forward...bothered me for years and years.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #14080
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Why?

Brodie will fetch a 1st and second likely oh his own.
Jankow is good for a late first early second
Plus our first this year

2 firsts and 2 seconds for him is hardly laughable to the point of hanging up the phone.

Equivalent to what got a us a young Dougie Hamilton and I would argue defenceman are worth more in trades than pretty much any other position.
Hamilton was deemed expendable by a retooling Bruins team which also had Krug, McAvoy, and Carlo on the come-up. The Flyers are also retooling but they have a ton of defensive depth and not nearly enough skill up front on the right side of 30. Guys like Couturier are who they need to be adding.

The Flyers should be looking to deal from the back-end first if they're gonna trade anyone for futures. Guys like Gostisbehere would be the most available, I'd think. But right after dealing Brayden Schenn for picks, I'd be floored to see Couturier dealt, especially not for pending UFA TJ Brodie, mediocre bottom-six centre Mark Jankowski (they already have Laughton to play an identical role), and another late first.

Closed Thread