Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #13821
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
This is perhaps the type of deal that the Devils would consider to also take on a Neal type contract. If they can't sign Hall (which is complete speculation), getting Johnny as a consolation prize would be quite enticing and way better than getting some good draft picks at the trade deadline for him.

Of course, Hall may well be wanting to test UFA and see what's out there. He may well sign an extension with New Jersey. But I could see the deal making sense to Calgary, although I'd rather move Monny rather than Johnny (but that centre thing).
I don't like the trade and I doubt NJ would take Monahan/Neal for Hall, but... Maybe Johnny on RW will work at the WCs and you move Monahan out, put Lindholm at C between Hall and Johnny.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #13822
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Bennett and Hathaway make your list of untouchables?
After the playoffs we watched? Yeah you wanna keep those players. We need more grit not less and those were arguably our two grittiest forwards.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #13823
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Can someone please explain why Point is so much better than Monahan? (other than his 92 pts this year?) He's smaller, plays 2nd line, has had 1 great year. Is he some kind of phenom? Or do we just want the smallest 1st line in the NHL??
Point is going get $9+ for a single 41 goal season???

What am I missing here?
Watching him is what you were missing I guess?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #13824
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I just don't understand where people get the idea that Monahan is going to even considered to be traded. His contact is unbelievable for a player who just broke 80 and has been a very consistent 30 goal guy. It's not weather he is better or worse than Point or whoever else, his value is in the percentage of cap compared to what else is available. He and Johnny are almost untouchable based purely on point per dollar spent.
And I don’t understand the logic that these guys can’t be traded because their contracts are too good. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not have the most efficient salary cap while bombing out in the 1st round every year cause we don’t have enough speed, grit and heart.

Why would you consider trading Gaudreau or Monahan? Because they are core players and they didn’t show enough grit, heart and speed (in Monahan’s case). The Flames have to decide if they think either of those guys will be able to lead in the playoffs in the future if they have a lot of doubts on either guy then you definitely explore a trade. Maybe they give them another year, maybe they make a move elsewhere.

The idea that they are untraceable because their contracts are too good makes no sense to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #13825
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
And I don’t understand the logic that these guys can’t be traded because their contracts are too good. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not have the most efficient salary cap while bombing out in the 1st round every year cause we don’t have enough speed, grit and heart.

Why would you consider trading Gaudreau or Monahan? Because they are core players and they didn’t show enough grit, heart and speed (in Monahan’s case). The Flames have to decide if they think either of those guys will be able to lead in the playoffs in the future if they have a lot of doubts on either guy then you definitely explore a trade. Maybe they give them another year, maybe they make a move elsewhere.

The idea that they are untraceable because their contracts are too good makes no sense to me.
It's not that they are untradable, it's that they replacement cost would destroy the team's cap structure. Sure if you can get a replacement player to play 1C at a number that fits under the cap, then go for it. But why would another GM let that player leave?

It's like buying your house before a boom for say 250K and knowing that your house is now worth 500K. Sure you can sell it, but you still need somewhere to live so you have to buy back into the same market. It would be nice if you could buy another place at the pre-boom prices, but that's not a realistic idea. The only way you can score on the inflated pricing is if you owned two houses and sold your extra one.

The Flames have two assets in Johnny and Mony that are worth way more than market value. The only way to really get a return on those assets is in a rebuild, because they just finished atop the west and will still need a 1C and 1LW going forward. I don't know of any teams that are going to trade a better pair to the Flames at a combined cap of about 13 million. Let's pretend that the Bolts will let Point go in a trade (because he's the fancy name around here). Point will cost in the neighbourhood of 9-10 million per year. So the Flames would have to fill the 1LW with 2-3 million. Sure you could move Chucky there, but then you need to fill the 2LW with that money, not likely.

So to say that they are untradable, that's not it. They are definitely tradable. I just don't see a scenario where the Flames improve as a team without them under their cap, given that they are a cap team. Trading Johnny and Mony is more a math issue than a hockey issue in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #13826
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It's not that they are untradable, it's that they replacement cost would destroy the team's cap structure. Sure if you can get a replacement player to play 1C at a number that fits under the cap, then go for it. But why would another GM let that player leave?
Several reasons. A team may give up waiting for potential to be realized and trade a young centre who has #1 upside because he’s disappointed. Why did CAR trade a 1st line W/C in Lindholm last summer? Because the owner was being cheap and Lindholm hadn’t broken out yet. Another reason is changing depth in one area for another. CBJ traded a young 30 goal scoring centre and NSH traded a young potential franchise defenseman in Seth Jones. Those are the types of players you say GMs never let go but actually they do sometimes.

Quote:
The Flames have two assets in Johnny and Mony that are worth way more than market value. The only way to really get a return on those assets is in a rebuild
Both those statements are 100% untrue in my opinion. Market value is what a player is worth so they can’t be worth more than it. The second statement is just clearly untrue IMO

Quote:
So to say that they are untradable, that's not it. They are definitely tradable. I just don't see a scenario where the Flames improve as a team without them under their cap, given that they are a cap team. Trading Johnny and Mony is more a math issue than a hockey issue in my opinion.
Same was said of Hamilton last summer. Can’t trade him, contract too good, too valuable, you can never win a deal with Dougie Hamilton in it. Can’t improve the Flames by trading Hamilton. People told me these same things last off-season when we started to talk about Hamilton and his warts.

How that logic looking a year later?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #13827
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trading Johnny and Mony is more a math issue than a hockey issue in my opinion.

Yeah, Gaudreau is the only player we have that could get a center better than Monahan and if you are trading Monahan for another center then they are going to have their own issues (old, subpar offense, younger guy that may break out etc).

I don't think there are many teams with an extra #1C better than Monahan and if you trade Monahan for a winger our center depth would be awful.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #13828
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Several reasons. A team may give up waiting for potential to be realized and trade a young centre who has #1 upside because he’s disappointed. Why did CAR trade a 1st line W/C in Lindholm last summer? Because the owner was being cheap and Lindholm hadn’t broken out yet. Another reason is changing depth in one area for another. CBJ traded a young 30 goal scoring centre and NSH traded a young potential franchise defenseman in Seth Jones. Those are the types of players you say GMs never let go but actually they do sometimes.

Both those statements are 100% untrue in my opinion. Market value is what a player is worth so they can’t be worth more than it. The second statement is just clearly untrue IMO

Same was said of Hamilton last summer. Can’t trade him, contract too good, too valuable, you can never win a deal with Dougie Hamilton in it. Can’t improve the Flames by trading Hamilton. People told me these same things last off-season when we started to talk about Hamilton and his warts.

How that logic looking a year later?
You think Johnny and Mony don't get their current contract if they were UFA today? That's crazy talk. I think Mony gets 8+ and Johnny gets 10+
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #13829
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
FWIW, when Savard and St. Louis left the Flames, there was no outcry among fans. It's not like these guys were obvious stars to anyone here.
Wtf are you talking about? Marc Savard was my favourite player at the time, I still have his jersey.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #13830
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
I know this is supper far fetched but what are the chances that Dallas ownership is questioning if they can win with the their core players?

Calgary is doing it after one great season and 3 early playoff exits.

I personally believe in our group and am not an advocate of trading Johnny!

But if there was a way to trade for Jamie Ben than I would have a hard time saying no!

So my question is who says no to the trade?

Johnny Points in 5 years 387
Jamie point in 5 years 377

Johnny Age 25
Jamie Age 29

Johnny salary 6.75 for 3 more years
Jamie salary 9.5 for 6 more years

Jamie Benn is coming off his worst season since being a rookie and there was lots of criticism by the ownership group early on in the season. Dallas has failed to make the conference final under this core group. Maybe its not that far fetched to believe that Jamie Benn would be untouchable.

Pipe Dream!
Grosse! Mostly because I hate Benn, he is dirty poohead.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #13831
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yeah, Gaudreau is the only player we have that could get a center better than Monahan and if you are trading Monahan for another center then they are going to have their own issues (old, subpar offense, younger guy that may break out etc).

I don't think there are many teams with an extra #1C better than Monahan and if you trade Monahan for a winger our center depth would be awful.
Malkin
Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #13832
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

No surprise but probably crushes any hopes that the playoff run changed his mind about staying in Columbus.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
That didn’t take long. Have confirmed that Sergei Bobrovsky’s downtown Columbus condominium is already for sale, list price $2.95 million.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snl1...be&app=desktop
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #13833
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
No surprise but probably crushes any hopes that the playoff run changed his mind about staying in Columbus.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
That didn’t take long. Have confirmed that Sergei Bobrovsky’s downtown Columbus condominium is already for sale, list price $2.95 million.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snl1...be&app=desktop
I was going to say "somebody wants to pay $2.95M to live in Columbus?", but they are probably saying the exact same thing about us.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #13834
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

His realtor is even a former Blue Jacket lol
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #13835
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe his condo is in the new entertainment district. The area around the arena is supposedly awesome. Condos, hospitality and retail around a modern arena. Kind of like what we wish we had.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #13836
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You think Johnny and Mony don't get their current contract if they were UFA today? That's crazy talk. I think Mony gets 8+ and Johnny gets 10+
Not sure what that has to do with anything I said.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #13837
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with anything I said.
I was talking about Johnny and Mony being paid below market value right now. You said that wasnt true. If I wasn't being clear before, that's what I meant by market value based on cap hit.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #13838
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After the playoffs we watched? Yeah you wanna keep those players. We need more grit not less and those were arguably our two grittiest forwards.
You can’t make guys like that untouchable though. Overpaying for “grit” gets teams in trouble all the time.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #13839
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Hathaway asks for more than $1.25 million or two years, IMO you just have to say no to that.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #13840
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

there's a rumour going around that Jamie Benn wants out and wants to go to Vancouver.
Closed Thread