Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 08:46 AM   #381
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Good season over all but I’m little bored of the telekinetic fighting. It looks pretty stupid on screen. The long gaze and holding your hand forward is stale and looks dumb
I didn’t get bored of it, even with it being in every second scene this scene while eleven was training.

I don’t even know how you’d get bored of it 4 seasons in, it’s just like… a mechanic of the world you have to accept from the beginning to buy into the show.

100% of sci-fi/fantasy abilities or special weapons or whatever look incredibly stupid if you put any thought into it. So I just don’t think about it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #382
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I just think there are ways making it better than staring with your arm out then the climax of somebody being blown through a wall.

Mix it up a bit, get 11 to tear off one of Vecnas ropey vines or throw a chair at him. Even break one of his limbs in the way they twisted the kids.

Lazy writing IMO. I mean if they put half the effort into that vs getting the Jeep Cherokee year correct it would be just a little bit better

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:07 AM   #383
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Winona Ryder is a really great actress most of the time so I have no idea what was going on with her wide eyed, shocked facial expressions in every scene. I got genuinely annoyed every time they cut to that plot.
I didn't want to bring it up because of the subject sensitivity but I thought she had severe mental health issues resulting in prescription drug addiction and is dealing with it now better. But, having not seen her in anything since Mr. Deeds in 2002, I just thought her blank wide-eye confused look was less acting for Stranger Things and more like what's going on in her personal life. Also she had those weird reactions during that acceptance speech but I don't really know what it was about.

But yes, I agree, her expression and acting annoyed me on an already annoying plot. I think it would be less annoying if I wasn't so enthralled with the other plots but instead it felt more like back in the day having commercials come on during the best parts while watching a movie (although Brenner betraying but actually no he cares, but actually he is betraying but he cares also got annoying).
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #384
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
The one thing to keep in mind:

Spoiler!
I agree except this is Stranger Things not something like Game of Thrones. Fanfare makes Stranger Things what it is. I mean we got Eddie playing Metallica in the most metal concert of all time. So like why not do this:

Spoiler!
Old 07-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #385
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
As for the rest of it, I really enjoyed it. I loved that they finally did something with Lucus, his character arc was great
I was so worried that the season would have Lucas and the others have a strained relationship because he was becoming popular and choosing popularity over their friendship and then in the last episode he would stick up to the jocks. Instead all he did was play in a championship basketball game as a committed member of the team instead of playing in a D&D game that he didn't care about, which of course is completely reasonable. And then at first sign of the jocks being a problem for his friends he ####s the jocks over and immediately went back to his real friends to help. Lucas is a real bro and I'm glad they didn't #### up his character.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #386
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mix it up a bit, get 11 to tear off one of Vecnas ropey vines or throw a chair at him. Even break one of his limbs in the way they twisted the kids.
Hahaha.... having 11 rip off a "Vecna vine" and choke him with it, while one side is still attached to him, would have been f'ing hilarious; even moreso if Vecna subtly taps out UFC-style in the background. I highly support this.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #387
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I just think there are ways making it better than staring with your arm out then the climax of somebody being blown through a wall.

Lazy writing IMO. I mean if they put half the effort into that vs getting the Jeep Cherokee year correct it would be just a little bit better
She vaporized him into another dimension...
Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #388
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
She vaporized him into another dimension...
Yeah by brooding at him with her arm stretched out…but this time with TWO globs of ketchup running from her nose instead of one.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #389
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the psychic nosebleed is a very powerful thing not to be trifled with. even when she is floating horizontally in a tank, it will always drip straight downwards.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #390
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1544731656170262528

If you don't want to read the thread, the highlights are:

- Stranger Things spinoff series
- A stage play set in the world of Stranger Things
- A series based on The Talisman by Stephen King
- Live-action adaptation of the Death Note anime
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:21 PM   #391
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah by brooding at him with her arm stretched out…but this time with TWO globs of ketchup running from her nose instead of one.
Different spokes for different folks I guess. Here I am enjoying smashing helicopters and vaporizing dudes and you're over there saying "Uhhh I wish she did cool things like moving a vine and throwing a chair."

Maybe in Season 5 you'll get lucky and she'll use her powers to steal some keys off a table or something. Real thrill-ride stuff.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #392
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like there is some validity to some of these criticisms, but this season was really enjoyable, and far more fun to watch than season 2 and 3.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:24 PM   #393
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

- Stranger Things spinoff series
- A stage play set in the world of Stranger Things
- A series based on The Talisman by Stephen King
- Live-action adaptation of the Death Note anime
Ah, makes sense now why The Talisman was what Lucas was reading to Max in the hospital.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #394
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1544143472906600450

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 05:53 PM   #395
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CBS reports that, according to Luminate, the song has earned Kate about $2.3 million in streaming royalties since Stranger Things dropped (specifically between May 27 and June 23), which is honestly incredible.
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/enterta...ranger-things/

Pretty good haul.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #396
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I find that whole thing pretty fascinating. What a crazy unexpected windfall for her. Good for her, I was a casual fan of hers back in the day. I pretty much knew watching that scene that I would be hearing it all over my kids tic tocs for a while.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:43 PM   #397
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like Metallica is seeing a similar bump for Master of Puppets.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:40 PM   #398
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

So I assume the implication is that Will is gay and has a crush on Mike? Is that what they were angling for there because it wasn’t 100% clear to me.

Amazing show. Agree the end dragged slightly, and some of the scenes were a bit unnecessary. They could have maybe done without the whole basketball team angry kid storyline altogether or at least had them find out the truth about the reality and not just mindlessly kill off leader guy the way they did.

Cool show though.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:01 PM   #399
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
So I assume the implication is that Will is gay and has a crush on Mike? Is that what they were angling for there because it wasn’t 100% clear to me.

Amazing show. Agree the end dragged slightly, and some of the scenes were a bit unnecessary. They could have maybe done without the whole basketball team angry kid storyline altogether or at least had them find out the truth about the reality and not just mindlessly kill off leader guy the way they did.

Cool show though.
I am getting the 'Will is Gay' thing, but if anything I wish they were less subtle about it.

I imagine it must have been hard for a small-town kid in the 80s to go through that especially since his 'crush' is very demonstrably not going to return those feelings.

I just think that if you want to explore that angle then go for it...but...go for it. Dont feel like you're going for it and dance around the issue.

I thought they did a good job of it with Maya Hawke.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #400
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feel bad for the casting director who cast a kid to play Will, who has grown now into just a terrible actor.
There’s the character to kill off to get that actor off the show
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote