Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #921
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think I would prefer Nichushkin over Drouin.
Straight up, in a vacuum, I would take Drouin.

But for the Flames, in their current state (Gaudreau on the left side, small, and lacking RWs), no contest: Nichushkin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #922
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The thing is to up grade them, you can't just do a 1 for 1 trade. You need to add something in order to upgrade them. Say the rangers said that Hayes was available or the kings said that Toffoli was available, who would you trade to get them? Stajan, England and Colborne? No, it'll take a lot more than that because the other teams won't want over priced average players. They're going to want players with value in return. If the Kings wanted Backlund and Ferland for Toffoli, do you say no because those guys are core players and bring something special?

I'm not saying we should trade Backlund for the sake of trading him. IF there is a chance to get a legitimate top 6 RW and the other team is asking for Backlund, you do the deal. If they're asking for a guy like Brodie, you don't.

Core guys are guys you won't trade unless something drastic comes along. I wouldn't trade Monahan for Toffoli because I think Monahan is more important and part of our core.

And people are talking about Backlund like he's carrying this team. Without him would we be 29th or 30th instead of 26th?
Think of Backlund this way:

Yes, without him maybe this team is 29th or 30th. Monahan would have to play against stiffer competition, and that would probably hurt his numbers as well.

If there were two Backlunds on the team, maybe the Flames would be 22nd or 23rd instead of 26th.

Backlund does help you win. He plays a very sound 200ft game. He is a fantastic skater who you don't often see take a shift off (which is huge for a rebuilding team needing to keep up the tempo for other guys to help fall in line).

He may not carry the team on his back like what is usually expected out of a superstar. That isn't Backlund. What Backlund gives you is very tough minutes fairly consistently. That's worth a lot to a team, and usually worth a lot more to the team that already has Backlund than another team that is wanting him.

Is Backlund untouchable? I don't think anyone is claiming that. What people are saying is that he provides an incredibly useful role that isn't very glamorous, and the fact that it isn't glamorous makes his trade value a bit lower.

I would love it if the Flames had a 6'4" Backlund that scored a bit more and hit a bit more. That would be ideal, and that would make Backlund expendable. As it stands right now, there is nobody on the team that can do what Backlund does. What does this allow? It allows 19 year old Sam Bennett to learn how to play center in the NHL without losing confidence since Hartley can shelter him. It allows Monahan to play against slightly weaker opposition in an effort to create more offence.

Backlund playing tough minutes and being relied upon to essentially smother the best team's opposing players is not a glamorous job. Backlund being a plus player while doing so - on a team that is a huge minus - that says a lot about what Mikael Backlund is bringing to the Calgary Flames. Yes, give me another Backlund, and I promise you the Flames will be winning more games. Don't confuse that with a superstar who carries a team kicking and screaming into the playoffs. Backlund does a lot of the dirty work that allows a superstar to carry that team on his back.

Now, would I hate to see Backlund moved in the right trade? If the return is good, of course not. Any player - Gaudreau and Monahan and Bennett and whomever else - I would feel the same. I just think Backlund right now is invaluable to the Flames - as 'sucky' as they are right now - and I would be angry if it was for even a 'fair' trade. There is no reason to move a Backlund for market value - the value he brings to the Flames is higher than market value. I think that is the point that many people are trying to make. Not untouchable, but since his value to the Flames outweighs what most believe his market value to be, he becomes untouchable by circumstance, if that kind of makes sense (and if my long rambling and distracted post made sense at that).
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #923
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd move Poirier for Nichushkin if thats what needed to happen. I'd move almost anyone from the prospect system. Except maybe Kylington.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #924
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How about Russell and our 2017 1st for Nichuskin and dallas 2016 3rd rd pick
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #925
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd move Poirier for Nichushkin if thats what needed to happen. I'd move almost anyone from the prospect system. Except maybe Kylington.
Russell, Poirier/Klimchuk and pick -that's probably what I'd be looking to do if I'm Calgary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #926
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has Nichuskin been buried a bit in the ranks this year? Production has dropped a bit. Is he not being utilized as much? Cause you'd hope that he would take a step forward especially after a good rookie season.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #927
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well said Calgary4Life, out of thanks. Keeping Backlund is important for helping us shelter Bennett while he develops
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #928
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
Has Nichuskin been buried a bit in the ranks this year? Production has dropped a bit. Is he not being utilized as much? Cause you'd hope that he would take a step forward especially after a good rookie season.
Just had major surgery, on I believe his hip? He's been much better lately after a slow start to the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #929
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was sure yesterday that Calgary acquired Shinkaruk to package him up with something else for one of Drouin or Nichushkin. Don't think that is going to happen, but that is what crossed my mind yesterday.

I have to believe that Treliving has been in on Nichushkin in particular - seems like a good kid who Hartley will actually like since he tries playing sound defence, and is decent on the boards. Not sure what Dallas really wants - Hudler + a prospect like Klimchuk or Poirier (or Shinkaruk?). Russell plus one of the aforementioned prospects? I would be curious to know Nichushkin's value - I imagine it is higher than Drouin's at the moment since one prospect is playing, coachable and is not demanding a trade.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #930
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Can't take the risk of it being a top 10 pick again. Until this team is regularly in the playoffs, all first round picks need to be kept unless you're getting a major building block. Sorta like what we did with Hamilton last year.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #931
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Just not part of the core....I kid, I kid.

This is exactly the kind of player the Flames need. I doubt Russell and Hudler get it done so what would we have to add to make the deal happen?

What about something like Russell + Andersson or Kylington?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #932
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
It's tough, he did season ending surgery last year on his hips. Came back and has been slowly getting back to speed. Just his game fell off while doing so. He can skate like no other still but he is mired in a 19 game scoring slump. He's also being used LW on the 3rd line when he is better used on RW. But that last bit there is just my thoughts. Im no coach.

It's a risk for dallas to let Nich go but if they're in win now mode and can get something for the future too, I think Nich will be a steal moving forward. I think he'll be back on the rise next season.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #933
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hearing Treliving talk yesterday describing the need for a player like Shinkaruk it sounded like he was describing Drouin to a tee.

Really seems like that trade yesterday will take us out of the running for Drouin as it's hard to envision having Gaudreau, Shinkaruk and Drouin on the left side with how small they all are. Unless we plan to flip Shinkaruk (which seems unlikely) can't see us making a play for Drouin now.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #934
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt in my mind Treliving is in on Nichushkin if he is actually available. Ticks a lot of boxes for the Flames.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #935
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nichushkin would be a great add... but I don't think his value is as high as people think. He hasn't really produced at the NHL level and players like him who make the NHL at 18 get fast tracked to UFA status and he could bolt pretty soon.

He has 4 years of team control left. Which is still pretty decent, but not great for a guy who is still on the learning curve. Combined with his lack of production so far, I don't see his value as sky high, good but not through the roof.

If Calgary was to trade with Dallas, I'd really like it if they got him but would be happier if they targeted a D for the second pairing with Hamilton once Russell is gone. Dallas is just absolutely loaded with defencemen in their early 20s who are looking great in the AHL or are already on their NHL roster but not top 4 ready on a playoff team. Oleksiak, Lindell, Backman, Jokipakka, Nemeth (and Niklas Hansson has looked really good in the SHL this year too).
Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #936
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Can't take the risk of it being a top 10 pick again. Until this team is regularly in the playoffs, all first round picks need to be kept unless you're getting a major building block. Sorta like what we did with Hamilton last year.
Nichushkin would be a pretty major building block. 20 year old 6'4 right winger.

Any 1st would likely need lottery protection though. Too risky at this point.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #937
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of Nichushkin... but his actual performance since being drafted (and even before) still makes me wonder why his pedigree is so high.

I'm not sure the actual player makes me all that excited.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #938
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now all that about Backlund is true...especially if we don't get anyone back. Right now he shelters guys and takes on big minutes but depending on who the Flames got in return, who's to say that player couldn't do the same thing. It seems like some are saying that he does all this and if he's traded, no one will do that. There are players who could step up with him gone and there's also the returning player in the trade.

I think the lines have been blurred here. I'm not saying trade Backlund for picks right now. I'm not saying trade him for the sake of trading him. I'm saying that you have to be open to trading him. If Nichuskin is available, you do what it takes to get him and if that includes Backlund then so be it. If the pens wanted Backlund for Murray, I don't know if I'd do that because Backlund is a proven NHL player and Murray really isn't and we have Gillies. What I'm saying is that our core guys are Monahan, Bennett, Gaudrea, Brodie and Hamilton and it would take a kings ransom to trade those guys but everyone else I'd be very open to trading. I don't think you build your team around a guy like Backlund, I think he's one of the building blocks used to build around the aforementioned guys and building blocks have to be interchangeable so you can improve your team.

I guess I see the team as core guys and building blocks and you can really only have 5-6 core guys. That's how it seems championship teams are built.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #939
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
That's way too much IMO.

The Flames are still rebuilding and that pick could easily be better than Nichushkin on its own (probably will be).

Russell and Hudler for Nichushkin and a cap dump seems like a perfect trade for both teams.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #940
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That's way too much IMO.

The Flames are still rebuilding and that pick could easily be better than Nichushkin on its own (probably will be).

Russell and Hudler for Nichushkin and a cap dump seems like a perfect trade for both teams.
I think if we assume a top 5 pick this year (big assumption), and thd add of Nichushkin the rebuild as far as skaters should be done.
A goalie could be found in free agency or if either or our goalie prospects can live up to the potential it's a solid team.
Closed Thread