Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #821
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
That's fair, it's just pretty funny to read and over the top imo. But I can understand the sentiment.
The Panthers bandwagoners blaming the refs, the schedule, the beer guy in section 214 ect. Is also funny considering what a historic ass kicking this has been.

12-4 after 2 games

If only they got that call!
Old 06-06-2023, 11:20 AM   #822
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The problems in Florida go way beyond Bob. How is any goalie going to do anything, when Florida is allowing Vegas' snipers to take so make shots from perfect positions.

Vegas just has too many guys who are capable of being 20 or 30 goal scorers. And Hrudey might be right, that Vegas has figured out Bobo's weakness, which is shooting high.

Also, as far as schadenfreude goes, I for one don't want to have to spend the next 3 years hearing about how Calgary's ex-players won a cup. We aren't Buffalo here.
Ha, this is the second time we've traded our top center away and (assuming Vegas wins, which looks likely) they go to win the Cup the next season. Eichel might also win the Conn Smythe trophy like O'Reilly did.

At least we made out okay in the trade this time, but still...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:21 AM   #823
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The Panthers bandwagoners blaming the refs, the schedule, the beer guy in section 214 ect. Is also funny considering what a historic ass kicking this has been.

12-4 after 2 games

I"m not counting anything out until the Knights go up 3-0. Remember the Bruins?
Old 06-06-2023, 11:22 AM   #824
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

12-4 after 2 games

Leave the beer guy out of this Dino.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:29 AM   #825
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly wanted Florida to win, but I'm happy if Eichel gets the cup before McDavid does too. I just want the games to be more competitive so that there's at least some hockey to watch on TV.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #826
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Leave the beer guy out of this Dino.
Hahaha...first number that came to mind
Old 06-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #827
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Tkachuk's biggest issue is that, when his shenanigans don't work, he gets himself more worked up than the other team.

Guys like Eichel and Stone are, in no way, going to get worked up about physical play or cheap shots. This isn't even a situation where there's a Doughty to take 1 for 1 penalties with.
And it's not like Maurice is the coach to calm him down.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #828
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Oh god. dino's been waiting for two months to finally be right about Florida losing, now we're never gonna hear the end of it. I mean, even if Florida was winning, we'd still be inundated with "yeah, but..." posts from him - but now it's gonna be nothing but "bahahaha see how right I (finally) was?!"

Annnnyway, here's a few quotes from other players about last night's hit:

Quote:
It was also a hell of a hit by Tkachuk. It had the hockey world immediately buzzing.

I reached out via text message Monday night to current and former players and a few coaches in the aftermath of the hit, to get their perspective on whether it was clean.

Their answers:

Lightning star and captain Steven Stamkos:

“It was a clean hit. Eichel was in an awkward position at the point of contact, but it was a good hockey hit in my eyes. Glad to see Jack back in the game. I was surprised no one went after Tkachuk, especially given the score of the game. But all is well for Vegas tonight, so a non-issue I guess.”

Former Ducks star and captain Ryan Getzlaf:

“Good, hard hit!!! I have no problem with it. Think it’s a good time for a big hit to try and pump his team up. Didn’t go out of his way at all, just got him in a bad spot.”

Current Eastern Conference NHL player, who requested anonymity:

“Glad Eichel is OK. To me, it was a great hit. It was clean. Eichel saw him last second and was a little surprised and leaned into it instead of absorbing it. The reason he had to get his head down for the split second to find the puck is because he went to one hand on his backhand so he had to take an extra second to look down to coral it and got surprised. On Tkachuk’s part, that’s a skill to be able to hit like that in open ice. There’s a lot that goes into it, like the timing, keeping your elbow down and hitting with shoulder and also using your legs while keeping your feet on the ground. Not as easy as it looks. Glad to see no one is hurt and it was as good of a hit as you can make in my opinion.”

Former Rangers head coach Gerard Gallant:

“From what I saw on TV, Eichel didn’t see him until it was too late. And seemed to stumble a bit, which made the hit look even worse. My view, though, is that it was a clean hit, bad result.”

Former Canucks head coach Bruce Boudreau:

“Thought it was hard but not dirty. Eichel was falling. Tkachuk tucked in his arms, Jack saw him coming and stumbled. I didn’t think it was a penalty.”

Current Western Conference NHL player, who requested anonymity:

“I thought the hit was clean. Tucked elbow, shoulder level … wasn’t predatory. It was just unfortunate Eichel toe-picked when he did.”

Blues head coach Craig Berube:

“I thought was a clean hit, shoulder to shoulder. It looked like Eichel just did not see him until right before contact.”

Former Stars star and captain Mike Modano:

“Didn’t help that he (Eichel) toe-picked before he got hit. But it was a clean hit. Open-ice hits are nonexistent anymore, so when they do happen, everyone assumes it was a cheap shot. That hit happened 40 times in the ’99 playoffs.”

So yeah, there’s unanimity here. As there should be. Clean hit all the way, which Eichel himself rather impressively acknowledged after the game Monday.

https://theathletic.com/4585229/2023...ley-cup-final/
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #829
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone, including the refs, said it was a dirty hit.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #830
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think anyone, including the refs, said it was a dirty hit.
Yup.

People assume he got the 2 minute penalty and the 10 minute misconduct for the hit...which wasn't the case.

Him and Barbashev got 2 and 10 each for their roles in the scrum afterwards.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 01:11 PM   #831
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup.

People assume he got the 2 minute penalty and the 10 minute misconduct for the hit...which wasn't the case.

Him and Barbashev got 2 and 10 each for their roles in the scrum afterwards.
Even Brent Krahn on twitter (and then he denied that Tkachuk went back into the fray after Pietrangelo, which is obviously incorrect).
Old 06-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #832
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maurice looked like he was almost going to cry a couple times. It's kind of a boring video. No one asked about Tkachuk getting kicked out again.

butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #833
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Oh god. dino's been waiting for two months to finally be right about Florida losing, now we're never gonna hear the end of it. I mean, even if Florida was winning, we'd still be inundated with "yeah, but..." posts from him - but now it's gonna be nothing but "bahahaha see how right I (finally) was?!"

you are absolutely obsessed with me lol

I have been consistent...I said if Bob stops playing out of his mind and becomes even average they will be absolutely destroyed
and here we are

Eichel himself said the hit was clean so I'm not sure what you are going on about anyway...hit wasn't penalized either

They were 17th overall...they aren't a great team

2021 Habs...assuming they can win a game

Last edited by dino7c; 06-06-2023 at 01:35 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #834
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
you are absolutely obsessed with me lol

I have been consistent...I said if Bob stops playing out of his mind and becomes even average they will be absolutely destroyed
and here we are

Eichel himself said the hit was clean so I'm not sure what you are going on about anyway...hit wasn't penalized either

They were 17th overall...they aren't a great team

2021 Habs...assuming they can win a game
If you think about it, the "get in and anything can happen" crowd is kind of right. You need a goalie to get hot and who knows how to predict which one it's going to be.

That Canadiens team had to play the Leafs, Jets, Knights, and Lightning. Some good teams on that list. Same thing with this year's Panthers.

Just because one lost and the other is losing doesn't mean someone won't win one day. Something to consider.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 01:57 PM   #835
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Just go find all the crap he posted about Eichel.
He's between a rock & a hard place; either Tkachuk or Eichel are going to win the cup, 2 players not good enough for the Flames or playoffs according to him.
No matter who wins, he's dreadfully wrong with his takes (again).
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #836
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woah! Guys, come on. He won a $100 bet. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:08 PM   #837
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 02:10 PM   #838
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Just go find all the crap he posted about Eichel.
He's between a rock & a hard place; either Tkachuk or Eichel are going to win the cup, 2 players not good enough for the Flames or playoffs according to him.
No matter who wins, he's dreadfully wrong with his takes (again).
I bet Eichel for Conn Smythe so what are you on about? Did I say something bad about Eichel 2 years ago or something lol

Eichel winning a cup before McDavid is awesome

Would I rather the Flames win it? Obviously...it's down to two teams

Butthurt FloridaPuck is awesome

And I can assure you I win more hockey bets on CP than I lose

Football not so much

So many perfect brackets on CP this year (except you all picked the Bruins too)

Last edited by dino7c; 06-06-2023 at 02:18 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:12 PM   #839
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
If you think about it, the "get in and anything can happen" crowd is kind of right. You need a goalie to get hot and who knows how to predict which one it's going to be.

That Canadiens team had to play the Leafs, Jets, Knights, and Lightning. Some good teams on that list. Same thing with this year's Panthers.

Just because one lost and the other is losing doesn't mean someone won't win one day. Something to consider.
Three bubble teams have made the finals since 2017
Old 06-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #840
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

12-4 after 2 games

This is it, in the Carolina series, all they need to do is score 2 goals and Bobrovsky will take care of the rest. Fast forward to now, they scored 2 goals in each game this series, and Bobrovsky turns into Bob and they are down in the series 0-2. And it's fun to watch.