Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #521
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero surprise and 100% disappointment.

Seems to be the theme for my feelings towards the NHL decision making in recent years
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #522
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I fully support the league doling out maximum punishment for the Oilers franchise, as well its individual players, no matter how arbitrary or how unfair it may be. Because.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #523
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I fully support the league doling out maximum punishment for the Oilers franchise, as well its individual players, no matter how arbitrary or how unfair it may be. Because.
That would be great, but instead the league doles out lottery wins
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 PM   #524
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How is Draisaitl expected to carry the load without the talent of Kassian? ...also, McDavid is out.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #525
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got off pretty easy

The fact that this is actually a big blow to the Oilers is hilarious
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #526
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
How is Draisaitl expected to carry the load without the talent of Kassian? ...also, McDavid is out.
Quick someone get Neal his sweatpants, this sounds like a job for “The Real Deal” James Neal
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:43 AM   #527
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It doesn’t really matter of he gets 7, 17 or 27 games.
The real problem here is that everybody knows he will do it again if a situation occurs.
Cernak escaped without injury and that’s only because he got lucky.
Kassian would do the same kick if McDavid was on him during practice.
He’d kick a puppy if it was on him.
He would even kick his own mother in this situation.

The fact that his actions are not premeditated but a reaction of what others ‘do to him’ makes him a very dangerous person.
If his NHL days are over we will only hear of him when his mugshot is in the newspaper.
The man is like lightning. You know it’s going to strike, you just don’t know when and where.

If the NHL(PA) really cares about their players they should offer Kassian proffesional help. Untill he clears a program he should be kept out of the lineup.
Instead of a mild punishment, some help would sent such a strong message to the whole (hockey) community.
DoPS missed an opportunity here.
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:57 AM   #528
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J79 View Post
If the NHL(PA) really cares about their players they should offer Kassian proffesional help.
Maybe this is him after professional help. I'm not trying to be funny I fear this is the case, Kassian scares me his responses to normal hockey situations are not normal.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:57 AM   #529
questionmotives
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn’t really matter of he gets 7, 17 or 27 games.
The real problem here is that everybody knows he will do it again if a situation occurs.
Cernak escaped without injury and that’s only because he got lucky.
Kassian would do the same kick if McDavid was on him during practice.
He’d kick a puppy if it was on him.
He would even kick his own mother in this situation.

The fact that his actions are not premeditated but a reaction of what others ‘do to him’ makes him a very dangerous person.
If his NHL days are over we will only hear of him when his mugshot is in the newspaper.
The man is like lightning. You know it’s going to strike, you just don’t know when and where.

If the NHL(PA) really cares about their players they should offer Kassian proffesional help. Untill he clears a program he should be kept out of the lineup.
Instead of a mild punishment, some help would sent such a strong message to the whole (hockey) community.
DoPS missed an opportunity here.
Knock it off with the hyperbole. You can disagree with the DoPS, you can dislike the person as a player, but to insinuate that he is a violent person off the ice and it will land him with criminal charges is malevolent and tasteless.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #530
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmotives View Post
Knock it off with the hyperbole. You can disagree with the DoPS, you can dislike the person as a player, but to insinuate that he is a violent person off the ice and it will land him with criminal charges is malevolent and tasteless.
Tasteless? Kassians track record is tasteless.

I don’t think he is a violent person but I do think he loses his temper quite fast in a relative normal situation.
The fact that he’s doesn’t show any remorse for his actions, or even regrets what he did when his adrenaline is at a normal level tells me he has issuses.
Issues that can be dealt with if he is offered some help.
It’s not that strange and it’s not something to be ashamed of.
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to J79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #531
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Henceforth, in honour of its efforts to give Kassian the minimal penalty it could get away with, the DoPS shall be known by its new title, the Department of Pukes Excusing Stupidity, or DoPES.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:00 AM   #532
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Kassian has a long track record dating back to Junior of being a loose cannon. I refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding anything that might happen off-ice. He's proven himself to be a complete POS in my eyes. So, call me "malevolent and tasteless."
chockfullofgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chockfullofgoodness For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 03:10 AM   #533
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Tasteless? Kassians track record is tasteless.

I don’t think he is a violent person but I do think he loses his temper quite fast in a relative normal situation.
The fact that he’s doesn’t show any remorse for his actions, or even regrets what he did when his adrenaline is at a normal level tells me he has issuses.
Issues that can be dealt with if he is offered some help.
It’s not that strange and it’s not something to be ashamed of.
Hey, you're arguing against an ambassador of the game in Kassian. Of course you're the bad guy.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:08 AM   #534
questionmotives
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Hey, you're arguing against an ambassador of the game in Kassian. Of course you're the bad guy.
Painful reminder that the Calgary Flames gainfully employed Todd Bertuzzi after that thing that happened...

I'm not supporting Kassian. He deserves a suspension longer that the one given to him.

Just layoff with the personal attacks about violence off-ice and his mental state. It's reckless speculation
Old 02-15-2020, 06:30 AM   #535
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

7 Games seems short. I got stepped on in a scrum once and got out lucky with only 16 stitches, 10 on the outside and 6 on the inside. Didn't even know it had happened until the blood was soaking my skates (red socks).
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #536
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm tired of this goof. Cant wait until he disappears for those 7 games.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #537
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Painful reminder that the Calgary Flames gainfully employed Todd Bertuzzi after that thing that happened...

I'm not supporting Kassian. He deserves a suspension longer that the one given to him.

Just layoff with the personal attacks about violence off-ice and his mental state. It's reckless speculation
A whataboutism doesn’t help your argument at the best of times and in this case it makes even less sense as Bettuzzi showed quite a bit of remorse for what he did. Kassian did not, he justifies it each time.

And it’s actually Kassian’s off ice comments that he is proud of what he did and that he would do it again that are the most concerning. I wouldn’t call it reckless speculation, I would call it speculation based on a preponderance of evidence.

Last edited by mikephoen; 02-15-2020 at 09:21 AM.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #538
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is an underwhelming suspension, he got off light. He lied about what happened in the press, and he's shown no remorse. I would hope that the DOPS at the end of the phone meeting when they let him know about the suspension told him that they gave him the benefit of the doubt, but if he shows up in front of him again its going to be a major problem. The other issue is that he's basically getting encouragement from the media in Edmonton and his fan base.

Kicking at someone is reprehensible, attacking a person from behind is cowardly, swinging a stick into someone's face and mocking that player about the injury is gross.

If the Oilers were really all that concerned about player safety, they would thank the DOPS for their suspension and proceed to suspend Kassian for the rest of the year and force him into serious anger management treatment. But they won't, they'll hype the return of Kassian and hero worship his return.

And the Edmonton media will continue the narrative that Oiler fans eat with a large spoon that the NHL has tilted the table against them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #539
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird couple decisions by the DOPS in regards to Kassian. I thought he got off light losing his cool with the first Tkachuk incident, and now this one, a few weeks later, he loses his cool again. You would think the repeated events within a such a short span would have more weight.

One benefit is with him coming out of the lineup they have call another player up and use what little cap space they have.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #540
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I was disappointed at first as well. The more I think about it, 7 games isn’t insignificant. Especially for an unsuccessful attempt at injuring someone.

Even still though...... I write that out and can’t believe I’m excusing the fact he missed. The intent was there. Could have been really bad.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote