Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #3001
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think it’s necessary to tear Monahan down or tear Mangiapane down. I think Monahan has been a very important player for this team in the past, and I think he will continue to be. Based on Mangiapane’s last two seasons, I think Mangiapane clearly has the potential to be an important piece too.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #3002
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'd keep Monahan over Gaudreau any day of the week.
Honestly, I don't think it matters. What I think the flames need, regardless of which one is traded, is that they acquire a second line left winger in return (obviously, I believe the return would be more than that, but the second line winger is an important element in my opinion)

Trade Monahan? Move Lindholm to centre and move tkachuk up one line. Whomever you bring in from the trade replaces tkachuk on the second line.

Trade Gaudreau? Move tkachuk up one line. Whomever you bring in from the trade replaces tkachuk on the second line.

You take the best deal possible, but the starting point needs to be a second line winger.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #3003
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
As for the cap situation, Mangiapane and Kylington are considered roster players, so even after they receive their contracts, the Flames will have to add six players to the roster.

There is currently 5.7M in cap, and let's say Magiapane and Kylington together cost 3M for the season. That leaves the team with 2.7M for six players.

Something has to give.
I think you're looking at the wrong thing, or miscounting.

Capfriendly has $5.7M in space and 17 players, but that includes Domingue (9F, 5D, 3G). That doesn't include the unsigned RFAs in Mangi and Kylington.

So Domingue down, and 4 league minimum players we assume are likely on the NHL roster at this point in Robinson, Rinaldo, Gawdin, and Petrovic means we have $3.6M and need 1 forward (Mangiapane) and 1 D (Kylington) to sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #3004
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As was pointed out to me Monahan has one year longer on his contract.

Hard to think JG would re-up in Calgary but you never know.

I recall a number of times last year where I thought to myself If I could keep only one it would be Monahan.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #3005
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade both....at this point major changes need to made. An average at best team doesn't get better with age. They need to identify players who are part of the solution, not necessarily core players but guys that winning teams need.

I think you only keep Monahan if he can be a #2C on the team. Johnny should go, Backlund should go and Gio should go. Pretty much get rid of the old regime, problem is I doubt there is a trade market for most of them. That's not to say they aren't good, its just going to be hard for teams to take them on.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #3006
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong thing, or miscounting.

Capfriendly has $5.7M in space and 17 players, but that includes Domingue (9F, 5D, 3G). That doesn't include the unsigned RFAs in Mangi and Kylington.

So Domingue down, and 4 league minimum players we assume are likely on the NHL roster at this point in Robinson, Rinaldo, Gawdin, and Petrovic means we have $3.6M and need 1 forward (Mangiapane) and 1 D (Kylington) to sign.

Even if we assume that Mangi comes at a discount and Kylington signs at league min, that leaves hardly any room for injuries. And when those injuries do happen, the bottom half of the roster looks kind of grim. Like AHL grim.

It really paints a picture of how bad Lucic is handcuffing the team right now. You almost have to jettison or use another buyout on Ryan just to be cap compliant.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #3007
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you’re gunning for a total tear down you keep Backlund.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #3008
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, they all had them in on him. There is a difference. Everybody reported both Alberta teams had made offers. That was common news. That is a huge jump from claiming BT is actively shopping Gaudreau or Monahan. I would have to hear the clip where he talks about this to be sure the OP about this did not twist what he said.
End of the day the media portrayed the Oilers as the favorites for Markstrom until they were out. I watched TSN and Sportnet all morning that day. The mainstream media felt the Oilers had the inside track but Steinberg felt confident the Flames were his choice.

Regardless of all that and what we are talking about I think it should be clear that Steinberg today was not adamant that the Flames were shopping their star forwards. He did say based off everything he has heard from the insiders and people around the team is Treliving has been making calls and in discussions. I think the talk of Monahan/Gaudreau stems from the Andersen rumor and that if the Flames were making the deal it would have been a big one.

Steinberg used the names Monahan and Gaudreau when discussing a big shakeup but he didn’t sound like someone that knew something was going down.

Pinder yesterday morning discussed the rumor that was mentioned here around Monahan for Ristolinen+ that was apparently discussed at one of the past trade deadlines.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #3009
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

With Hamonic still out there and wanting to stay out west according to Friedman, do you think Calgary could look at bringing him back as 3rd pair, 1 year contract at 2.5m? Maybe a bit of show me contract. Personally I would not be opposed to that, but not to sure if Hamonic value has dropped to that value or not.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #3010
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobel View Post
With Hamonic still out there and wanting to stay out west according to Friedman, do you think Calgary could look at bringing him back as 3rd pair, 1 year contract at 2.5m? Maybe a bit of show me contract. Personally I would not be opposed to that, but not to sure if Hamonic value has dropped to that value or not.
If he wants to come back you start at something more like 700 K

It was good enough for Marleau
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #3011
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.25 max for Hamonic.

The top 4 is set and I expect Valimaki will be knocking on the door in no time. Which moves Hamonic down to your #6 so you have to pay him like one.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #3012
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Hamonic, but his time here is done.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #3013
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, they all had them in on him. There is a difference. Everybody reported both Alberta teams had made offers. That was common news. That is a huge jump from claiming BT is actively shopping Gaudreau or Monahan. I would have to hear the clip where he talks about this to be sure the OP about this did not twist what he said.
Your gonna cry when one of them gets moved aren’t you? 👀
Old 10-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #3014
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Gaudreau-Rittich for Reinhart, a goalie and Jokiharju

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Reinhart
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Rinaldo-Ryan-Gawdin

Gio-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Jokiharju

Markstrom
Hutton (50%) or Ullmark at a decent contract
I really like this and I don't think it's overly tilted towards one particular team. We obviously give up the best player but I think this makes our lineup much more balanced. I especially really like what the defence looks like.

Also, someone else mentioned it earlier too (can't quite find where now) but I do think that the top line has reduced itself to funneling everything through Johnny and when he struggles, the whole line does. I really think moving Tkachuk up with Monahan and Lindholm could spark that line. None of them are flashy like Johnny is but I think it could quietly be a great line.

The second line looks great with Reinhart on there and the last 2 look solid too, especially if the 3rd line plays anywhere near what they were like in the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to FusionX For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #3015
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Trade both....at this point major changes need to made. An average at best team doesn't get better with age. They need to identify players who are part of the solution, not necessarily core players but guys that winning teams need.

I think you only keep Monahan if he can be a #2C on the team. Johnny should go, Backlund should go and Gio should go. Pretty much get rid of the old regime, problem is I doubt there is a trade market for most of them. That's not to say they aren't good, its just going to be hard for teams to take them on.
Ok, seriously. Has a team ever traded away their 1LW, 2C, 1D, during single off-season, ever?
Old 10-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #3016
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
According to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the Vegas Golden Knights tried hard to acquire Steven Stamkos from the Tampa Bay Lightning, and perhaps there's still a deal to be made.

Friedman mentions Max Pacioretty would have likely been included in the package to Tampa, which doesn't make a ton of sense considering Pacioretty makes only $1.5 million less than Stamkos, so it would have been expected Vegas would retain some salary in the deal.
https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/1...-vegas-to.html
Old 10-14-2020, 08:37 PM   #3017
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobel View Post
I'm thinking he wont come back to Calgary. He was sat for long periods.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #3018
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Keep in mind Monahan is two years younger than Gaudreau.
14 months.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #3019
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think it’s necessary to tear Monahan down or tear Mangiapane down. I think Monahan has been a very important player for this team in the past, and I think he will continue to be. Based on Mangiapane’s last two seasons, I think Mangiapane clearly has the potential to be an important piece too.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #3020
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That makes sense on Hamonic. I was listening this morning and they had mentioned Rittich has zero trade value, wondering if this is the same for a player like Ryan? I really wonder if we will have trouble staying below the cap this year without moving a player like Ryan or Rittich.
The Following User Says Thank You to scobel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread