Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2020, 11:21 PM   #41
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is part of the Conservative Party platform, and something O'Toole heavily supports.

I can't find a specific reference to it right now (it was on O'Toole's website previously) but their write-up for it was very commonsense and seemed like a great idea, personally.
Frankly this alone would put me off O'Toole then, from an economic point of view it makes no sense for Canada and is a huge negative, we don't need a trading bloc to sell any of these countries our raw materials or agriculture, they dont have a large enough combined market to make the risk of opening up Canada to service imports from the UK that would all but decimate our Financial and insurance sector.

Joining the EU would make more sense
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #42
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

There is the trade and military aspects, but to me the more intriguing part of a deal like this is the ability to tap into another country for things like employment, relocation, incorporating a company, logistics such as shipping, etc.

Right now in Canada if you start a business and want to ship outside of our country it can easily become very complicated. Being able to streamline some of those things and removing the red tape in certain aspects would be something I would support.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #43
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Could possibly entice Turks and Caicos to join.
Was it Turks that wanted to join Canada 10 or so years ago? I remember there was a bunch of media reports about some Caribbean island talking about wanting to become part of Canada.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #44
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Was it Turks that wanted to join Canada 10 or so years ago? I remember there was a bunch of media reports about some Caribbean island talking about wanting to become part of Canada.
Yes, it was them. I think economically they’d basically just become a welfare state where more transfer payments went to and there wasn’t much gain. We would get Caribbean islands that used Canadian money but not much else. Our banks are already down there so maybe we are getting the small economic benefit already?

Edit: there’s even an article from the encyclopedia of lies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propos...Caicos_Islands

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 09-24-2020 at 09:02 AM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #45
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
There is the trade and military aspects, but to me the more intriguing part of a deal like this is the ability to tap into another country for things like employment, relocation, incorporating a company, logistics such as shipping, etc.

Right now in Canada if you start a business and want to ship outside of our country it can easily become very complicated. Being able to streamline some of those things and removing the red tape in certain aspects would be something I would support.
I'm not sure why the idea is that this has to be fully latched on Siamese twin death lock Empire building. Could an alliance be structured so that the most beneficial parts are included, and the non-beneficial parts excluded?

Can not something be worked out where the countries are closer without being bound hand and foot?
Old 09-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm not sure why the idea is that this has to be fully latched on Siamese twin death lock Empire building. Could an alliance be structured so that the most beneficial parts are included, and the non-beneficial parts excluded?

Can not something be worked out where the countries are closer without being bound hand and foot?
I found something from O'Toole about it, and to me, it doesn't seem like an idea as strict as the EU, but rather a practical partnership which would benefit all involved nations:

Quote:
I’ll propose a deal that includes:
- Free trade and flow of capital investment between the partners;
- Reciprocal freedom to study, live and work for citizens under expanded areas of labour coordination as agreed upon by the parties; and
- Enhanced defence partnerships, intelligence cooperation and defence production agreements.
https://www.canzukinternational.com/...ty-leader.html
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #47
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

that would just be an individual trade deal with the countries individually, once you start talking about a confederation of 3 or more countries by definition it will be much deeper, effectively because it has to answer all of the countries individual needs by applying them to all of them, New Zealand and Australia might find it beneficial to hand over their financial sector to London, Canada would not.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 09-24-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #48
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I found something from O'Toole about it, and to me, it doesn't seem like an idea as strict as the EU, but rather a practical partnership which would benefit all involved nations:

https://www.canzukinternational.com/...ty-leader.html
In reality enhanced defense cooperation means open contract bidding which in turn means the UK, by shear dint of the economies of scale, ends up making most of Canada (and the other countries) kit, it would be a death blow to the Canadian defense industry.

I get what the UK gets out of this, its own federation that it gets to dominate by its shear economic scale, I do not see what Canada gets
Old 09-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
In reality enhanced defense cooperation means open contract bidding which in turn means the UK, by shear dint of the economies of scale, ends up making most of Canada (and the other countries) kit, it would be a death blow to the Canadian defense industry.

I get what the UK gets out of this, its own federation that it gets to dominate by its shear economic scale, I do not see what Canada gets
Please stfu and let me dream my dream of moving to Australia on a whim.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #50
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think that's what will happen but in reality these guys move in next door to you in Calgary

The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #51
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You're telling me I can start producing viral content of that quality?

Sign me up, let's get CANZUK done tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #52
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd be lying if I said the climate alone wouldn't be enough to convince me, but I think the machismo and hyper-masculinity ingrained in their culture would be tiresome after a while.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #53
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair I would assume they would naturally be drawn to settle in Edmonton
Old 09-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #54
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
that would just be an individual trade deal with the countries individually, once you start talking about a confederation of 3 or more countries by definition it will be much deeper, effectively because it has to answer all of the countries individual needs by applying them to all of them, New Zealand and Australia might find it beneficial to hand over their financial sector to London, Canada would not.
Canada isn't very well setup from a financial aspect when it comes to being a bigger player on the world stage.

If we want to go that route, having a closer relationship with the UK would be needed.

But, I'm not sure if that is the route we SHOULD go. Canadian businesses need a way to grow their market and build their business that doesn't feel like someone is kneeling on your neck all day long.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #55
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Would you become my ally in the weather thread?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #56
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Canada isn't very well setup from a financial aspect when it comes to being a bigger player on the world stage.

If we want to go that route, having a closer relationship with the UK would be needed.

But, I'm not sure if that is the route we SHOULD go. Canadian businesses need a way to grow their market and build their business that doesn't feel like someone is kneeling on your neck all day long.
Yikes, didn't take long for that to become casual conversation...
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 01:15 AM   #57
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
tbf I've used that expression for years. Thanks for pointing it out in this context though, I should probably make an effort to drop it from my lexicon, at least for the time being
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 AM   #58
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I support strengthening our ties to other commonwealth countries via trade agreements and through military support, however, I do not want a commonwealth version of the EU.

But, most importantly I want the first world countries in the commonwealth to help the have nots and band together to improve the education and quality of living for those people. Admittedly, this is a partially selfish desire and I feel with proper education perhaps in time people like my parents won't have to flee their homes and move halfway across the world due to rampant racism and persecution faced for falling in love with someone of a different skin tone.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #59
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I support strengthening our ties to other commonwealth countries via trade agreements and through military support, however, I do not want a commonwealth version of the EU.
Well said, luckily I haven't seen any actual proposals for anything that crazy. Stronger military and trade ties is a good thing

Last edited by btimbit; 09-28-2020 at 12:33 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #60
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Oh man, I honestly didn't even think of it that way.