Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #41
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If you’re asking me to defend the actions of a millennias-old institution that at one point governed most of Europe, I can’t, and I have no interest in doing so.

I’m only saying that religious (and mythological) stories contain a plethora of extremely useful, actionable wisdom about the human experience that remains true across vast stretches of time, and that we shouldn’t just dismiss them because they’re empirically correct in the way that modern humans view the world.

We’re leaving money on the table when we do that.
Which is why religious texts, in my view, should not be treated any different that any book on moral philosophy. Pick out any useful nuggets, and discard the nonsense. To treat them as divine, means you kind of have to accept the nonsense too.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 PM   #42
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why would a god need a garden anyway?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Pppphhhht. Any self-respecting ancient near-eastern god had his own garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #44
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Same reason why god would need a starship?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The saddest and craziest relationship I've ever seen from devout catholics was a driver from work. He seemed troubled a lot, and eventually he mentioned his family. He came out as gay and his dad who had loved him until that point said he was going to hell and wouldn't talk to him anymore until he "changed".

After a few years of no contact his dad started to pass away from cancer, so he showed up to say goodbye to his father that loved him his whole life until he came out and his father looked at him and said "I think you need to leave", so he walked away from his dad who had weeks to live and that was it.

I can't believe what religion can do to some people, it's crazy.
It's an absolutely disgusting religion. I was raised a Catholic and the brainwashing I saw is despicable. It's barely above Scientology in my view.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #46
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any religion that is built on fear (of sins/sinning) to keep people in line can pound sand. That's coming from someone that grew up a non-catholic Christian.

We don't live in the year 32 AD anymore. Time to get a long needed update of your religion and ways. Its a very different world today.

You're not speaking from a place of love if you're condemning anything that people are doing that brings them happiness, unless its kicking puppies off of bridges.

If it makes you happy, it can't be wrong. If we were created in gods image then why would we have inherently faulty programming?

Im absolutely a believer of higher powers/some sort of divinity to this universe, but life's too short and fleeting to live such under such rigid, confining and outdated beliefs.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #47
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-22-2020, 03:29 AM   #48
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Put the garden on the starship. Kills 2 birds with one stone.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #49
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

If it makes you happy, it can't be wrong. If we were created in gods image then why would we have inherently faulty programming?
This is a rather poor philosophy and is inherently wrong. I would say that religion in many ways is the anti thesis to this statement as it tries to impose a set of rules to push people against their internal desires and instead to act for the good of the community. Acting by a Maxim of if it makes you happy it can’t be wrong leads to your aforementioned kicking puppies off bridges but also putting short term happiness over long term consequences.

Many religious rules likely evolved from ways to protect and enhance community before being abused by those with power. Look at the rules around being Kosher. A lot of what they prohibit are foods that would have high risks of disease at the time like Pork and Shellfish

Last edited by GGG; 09-22-2020 at 08:08 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #50
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think that’s a pretty big component of any religion, or set of values, no?

Life is inherently not doing what makes you happy.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #51
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
The Catholic god has a starship? Since when?
Old 09-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The saddest and craziest relationship I've ever seen from devout catholics was a driver from work. He seemed troubled a lot, and eventually he mentioned his family. He came out as gay and his dad who had loved him until that point said he was going to hell and wouldn't talk to him anymore until he "changed".

After a few years of no contact his dad started to pass away from cancer, so he showed up to say goodbye to his father that loved him his whole life until he came out and his father looked at him and said "I think you need to leave", so he walked away from his dad who had weeks to live and that was it.

What I don't get about conservative Catholics and many evangelical Christians is how they pick and choose which sins are so heinous that they disown their children/family/friends over them. The seven deadly sins are pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth.

So the son was gay, call it the "lust" sin. Why disown him over that? Why not disown him over the gluttony sin when he drank too much, the sloth sin when he failed to clean up his room, or the wrath sin when he lost his #### after the refs blew a call? Most people commit several deadly sins daily. Here's the kicker too: you don't choose to be gay, but you can choose to do any of the other deadly sins. So which is worse for the soul?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #53
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

If Jesus was Jewish, why would we pick any other religion but that one? Surely Jesus wasn’t the wrong religion?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #54
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can there be a god with the 10,000s sexual abuse cases by the catholic church and their "priests"?

Brainwashed for 11 years in the Catholic School System... but then no sex before marriage. Goodbye!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #55
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Put the garden on the starship. Kills 2 birds with one stone.
Bruce Dern is God!!! it all makes sense now

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #56
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
How can there be a god with the 10,000s sexual abuse cases by the catholic church and their "priests"?

Brainwashed for 11 years in the Catholic School System... but then no sex before marriage. Goodbye!

It’s clearly a typo that has survived the editing process for eons.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #57
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

lol, my grandpa used to take the parish priest across the border into Montana to get laid once in awhile
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It's an absolutely disgusting religion. I was raised a Catholic and the brainwashing I saw is despicable. It's barely above Scientology in my view.
It’s the people who are disgusting, not the religion. Assigning human traits to an organization is fruitless. People are hateful, people are hypocritical, people are gullible, people are stupid.

I guarantee Catholicism has no thoughts on the subject. Religion is the justification/excuse to act like a POS and not feel guilty about it.

Also, paging undercoverbrother. Shouldn't he be calling you guys ####ing morons for generalizing about an entire group of people?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #59
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s the people who are disgusting, not the religion. Assigning human traits to an organization is fruitless. People are hateful, people are hypocritical, people are gullible, people are stupid.

I guarantee Catholicism has no thoughts on the subject. Religion is the justification/excuse to act like a POS and not feel guilty about it.

Also, paging undercoverbrother. Shouldn't he be calling you guys ####ing morons for generalizing about an entire group of people?
Shouldn't he be calling you out for that since your entire post was to insist it's the people and not the underlying belief system?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

What is religion without the people? It would cease to exist.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote