Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #2801
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I'd rather they push hard to extend Walker. Pretty slim pickings for pitching in 2021 and they really need some reliable starters that can eat some innings (can't use the pitching staff like this again). I think the Bats are already really good (and have Martin on the way already) but lordy do the Jays need run prevention.
I'm wishy washy on walker, but yeah they should definitely be upgrading the rotation next season. I'm hoping for Bauer. They can even promise him a start every 4th day and they have the financial flexibility to pay him big time.

I was just spit balling with Springer, I think the Jays are quite content home growing their position player stars, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they spent money on both pitching and an outfield upgrade this off season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #2802
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Vladdy really needs to go back to 3rd. Tell him if he shows up to spring training 20 lbs lighter, he can have the bag back.

That would set up these 8 bats perfectly. Then add one more A-list bat.

(and a couple of starters of course)
I'd keep Vladdy at 1B, the way they have handled him this year has been brutal. If you want the guy to develop into your every day 1B, he needs to actually play to learn to react in the moment. Practice is great, but you still need to do it in-game to really learn.

Same goes for Biggio, moving him around the diamond seemingly daily is not going to help him develop his defensive game. Have him play 2B, 3B, or OF; but have him do it regularly, without switching back and forth constantly. He is apart of our young core, and should be treated as such, not be treated like a utility player.

My perfect off-season would be:

Starting Pitching:
Re-sign Taijuan Walker
Sign Brett Anderson
Relief Pitching:
Sign Trevor Rosenthal
Re-Sign Anthony Bass
Position Players:
Trade for Adam Frazier (Tellez+)
Sign Jackie Bradley Jr.
26-Man Roster:
C: D. Jansen
1B: V. Guerrero
2B: A. Frazier
SS: B. Bichette
3B: C. Biggio
CF: J. Bradley
LF/RF/DH: L. Gurriel, R. Grichuk, T. Hernandez
Bench: A. Kirk/R. McGuire, T. Shaw, S. Espinal,
SP (6): H. Ryu, T. Walker, B. Anderson, N. Pearson, R. Stripling, T. Thornton
RP (6): A. Bass, R. Dolis, S. Yamaguchi, J. Romano, A. Cole, R. Borucki/J. Merryweather
CP: T. Rosenthal
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #2803
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm wishy washy on walker, but yeah they should definitely be upgrading the rotation next season. I'm hoping for Bauer. They can even promise him a start every 4th day and they have the financial flexibility to pay him big time.

I was just spit balling with Springer, I think the Jays are quite content home growing their position player stars, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they spent money on both pitching and an outfield upgrade this off season.
They won't even let guys face hitters 3 time, pitch more than 6 innings or more than 100 pitches and you think they'll agree to let him pitch every 4 days?
Old 09-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #2804
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I read somewhere that Russell Martin wasn't much of a mentor when Jansen came up. Luke Maile was supposedly much better in that regard. Maybe it would be different though if he was brought in specifically for that purpose and not worried about losing playing time to a kid a team that is about to start rebuilding.
Weird, because I always heard that Martin was great in working with younger catchers. Maybe I am misremembering.

That said, there are lots of options out there for guys to fill that role, former catchers than can teach and know how to call a game.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #2805
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
They won't even let guys face hitters 3 time, pitch more than 6 innings or more than 100 pitches and you think they'll agree to let him pitch every 4 days?
They don't have a pitcher on the roster even in the stratosphere of Trevor Bauer except for maybe Ryu, but he's battled injuries in the past.

They don't let guys like Roark or Anderson pitch three times through the order because suck, and can barely get through a batting order even twice, never mind three times.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #2806
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
They don't have a pitcher on the roster even in the stratosphere of Trevor Bauer except for maybe Ryu, but he's battled injuries in the past.

They don't let guys like Roark or Anderson pitch three times through the order because suck, and can barely get through a batting order even twice, never mind three times.
They are too hung up on analytics to allow a guy to pitch every 4 days, it's just not going to happen
Old 09-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #2807
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Right now there isn’t one. The astros are actually slated to be the 6 seed by virtue of being 2nd place in their division (top seeds in division get 1,2,3, second seeds in division get 4,5,6). The jays are pretty firmly locked into 8th unless they catch either Cleveland (3rd in their division but 3 games up on the jays) or Yankees (3 games up on the Jays)

Odds are pretty high that the Jays will finish 8th, to play the Rays while the Astros will finish 6th with a worse record
Right, of course - was looking at the league standings and forgot that Houston (or whoever might pass them) is 2nd in the division.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #2808
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alejandro Tiberius Kirk is DHing tonight!

I REALLY want them to clinch by beating the Yankees tonight!
Old 09-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #2809
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They don't have a pitcher on the roster even in the stratosphere of Trevor Bauer except for maybe Ryu, but he's battled injuries in the past..
Ryu absolutely is in the same league as Bauer. I would actually argue that Ryu is in a level above Bauer.

Bauer had a great 2018 where he finished 6th in Cy Young, and he’s beating up on weak opponents this year, but the rest of his career has been rather pedestrian. Including an abysmal stint to finish last year in Cincinnati.

Robbie Rays career splits are actually in line with Bauer’s and he had the misfortune of playing on weak Arizona teams in a bam box of a ballpark. Whereas Bauer played for the extremely pitcher friendly organization of Cleveland up until now with Cinnci.

I’m just not sold on Bauer being anything other than a slightly above average strikeout pitcher while still being a head case. Although he has redeemed himself somewhat on the Twitter verse this year.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #2810
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pearson activated.

Font taken off the roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #2811
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pearson activated.

Font taken off the roster.
well that's a good trade!
Old 09-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #2812
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's our boy!
Old 09-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #2813
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a beautiful swing by Vladdy.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #2814
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now that is excited for possibly clinching a playoff spot, #### I love Vladdy
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #2815
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vladdy's getting hot at the right time.

For the series, he is 6 for 11 with 3 doubles, a triple, a homer, a walk and 6 RBIs
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #2816
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bichette! double down the line to knock in Biggio and make it 2-0
Old 09-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #2817
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 solid innings from Ryu so far - 52 pitches.

He deserves some more run support, boys!
Old 09-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #2818
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is hilarious! He hasn't changed a bit
Old 09-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #2819
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It sure is nice to see Vladdy coming around. I was always confident he would, but there was just that little bit of doubt creeping in. Hopefully he can keep improving.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #2820
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dan and Buck crack me up, god I love them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: