Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #541
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I hadn't yet seen anyone describe the new Z as "beautiful"... Though it is impressive that you're able to navigate an online forum while being blind
beautiful in this case being a relative term - massive improvement from the recent versions of the Z
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #542
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
beautiful in this case being a relative term - massive improvement from the recent versions of the Z
I kid, I kid.

The current design was definitely getting long in the tooth. Overall, I find the new design to be an incoherent mess when considered as a whole, but individually, a lot of the elements are a big improvement.

Like most cars though, seeing it the flesh will be the true test.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #543
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The alternator on my 06 Escape went last week. I figured maybe an hours labour to get the old one out and the new one in. Wrong! It was wedged between the engine and the power transfer unit. You can't even see it when you pop the hood.

I really wish the Engineers that design the vehicles of today would spend a week in a garage fixing vehicles they design!

Last edited by Dion; 09-24-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #544
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Frank Stephenson critiqued the new 4 series. Skip to 7:55 to see what he said about the "grill".

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #545
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I assume xDrive adds a lot of weight here but the 0-60 times are going to be insane
Sure, but it will take forever to lose all that speed lest you send yourself into a hedge because the little porker can't take a corner that fast.

No amount of power and acceleration makes an elephant into a ballet dancer.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #546
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Sure, but it will take forever to lose all that speed lest you send yourself into a hedge because the little porker can't take a corner that fast.

I get it but if it's competing with the RS4 and C63, it's still the only one with a stick.

It's pretty clear they are targeting a different buyer with this car. If you want something a little smaller and sportier, get the M2 or Z4.

If you really want neither, get a Porsche or a Lotus.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #547
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The X3MC has a ring time under 8 mins, faster than the E92 M3, and OG M2. If they can make an SUV rip that fast, they can hide the weight of the M3/4.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #548
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. The center dial to control drive modes that dominated the RDX dashboard returns as a focal point of the new TLX dashboard:

Your average TLX driver will set it once and forget it...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 AM   #549
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Ugh. The center dial to control drive modes that dominated the RDX dashboard returns as a focal point of the new TLX dashboard:

Your average TLX driver will set it once and forget it...
If there is anything the average car buyer cares less about than drive mode select, I have yet to encounter it.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #550
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Have you ever taken a look at the curb weight of a Nissan GTR or NSX? They are elephants as well and do just fine. Tires, brakes, suspension tuning, torque vectoring, etc is so advanced now that weight is easily overcome. There are 4500 lb+ SUV's that are pulling close to 1.0g on the skidpad.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #551
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The X3MC has a ring time under 8 mins, faster than the E92 M3, and OG M2. If they can make an SUV rip that fast, they can hide the weight of the M3/4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Have you ever taken a look at the curb weight of a Nissan GTR or NSX? They are elephants as well and do just fine. Tires, brakes, suspension tuning, torque vectoring, etc is so advanced now that weight is easily overcome. There are 4500 lb+ SUV's that are pulling close to 1.0g on the skidpad.
Numbers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's not actually a good thing. BMW bowing before numbers on a page rather than making a car that actually feels good to drive is... not a very BMW thing to do.
... feel. You will feel that weight no matter how much tech they pump into the cars to make them rip around the Nürburgring.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #552
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand what you are getting at here. In one post you are saying the porker can't take corners fast and then you are saying no matter how fast it rips around the Nurburgring it's about feel? Make up your mind and quit changing the goal posts. All cars are heavy now as even STI's are 3500 lbs. Go buy a Cayman and be done with it if the curb weight of your car is that important to you.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #553
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just because this thread is often filled with talk of exotic European cars...I’m developing a ‘thing’ for 60s Mopars. As a GM fan, I’m internally conflicted.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #554
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The GTR is sui generis, it doesn't feel like anything else, and it's polarizing. I applaud Nissan for making it and for continuing to make it for all these years because it's unique, but it's not appropriate to compare it to anything. The NSX... just isn't a particularly good car, by all accounts.

The M3 is supposed to feel like an M3. It has its own cult following. If you add hundreds of pounds to it, it's not going to feel like an M3 anymore, and then it's just another sedan that goes fast.

... Or maybe there's some magic in the design that causes it to feel the same despite higher weight. But that's the worry.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #555
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If there is anything the average car buyer cares less about than drive mode select, I have yet to encounter it.
If I'm driving an automatic, I want two modes- normal and "sport". I don't need or want eco/sport+/offroad/sand/snow/dynamic/crusing/etc.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #556
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
If I'm driving an automatic, I want two modes- normal and "sport". I don't need or want eco/sport+/offroad/sand/snow/dynamic/crusing/etc.
It kind of depends. If it's a sports car - for example, if I'm buying the new Corvette - of course I need a sport mode, but I also want it to have an eco mode for highway cruising where I'm not actively driving the car but just trying to get to somewhere a long way away (I actually found the drive modes on the c7 I rented for a week one time to be among its best quality of life features). If it's an SUV, I want a snow mode just for the extra traction to get out of a snow bank without digging out my tires, but I don't need a sport mode.

So I agree with you that it's a bit overboard in some vehicles but I still think it's context dependent.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #557
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It kind of depends. If it's a sports car - for example, if I'm buying the new Corvette - of course I need a sport mode, but I also want it to have an eco mode for highway cruising where I'm not actively driving the car but just trying to get to somewhere a long way away (I actually found the drive modes on the c7 I rented for a week one time to be among its best quality of life features). If it's an SUV, I want a snow mode just for the extra traction to get out of a snow bank without digging out my tires, but I don't need a sport mode.

So I agree with you that it's a bit overboard in some vehicles but I still think it's context dependent.
It’s unnecessary on a Tucson.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #558
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It’s unnecessary on a Tucson.
Well, if you ask me, it's the Tuscon that's unnecessary altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #559
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, if you ask me, it's the Tuscon that's unnecessary altogether.
I disagree, they’re very necessary to my mortgage.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #560
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't like drive modes either. It's sport, every time. Like, why would I neuter the car? Give me all it's got all the time. If you're on the highway, it's going to settle into the highest gear anyway once you're in cruise. I've never once used eco and I hate how in both my vehicles with drive mode selectors they both default to normal every time you start them. Just leave it in the last mode I used.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: