Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #801
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put this in the other section, but I’ll put it here too.

Flames sign Rieder and avoid an overpay, sign Shore for less than QO, recognize Brouwer is untradeable and trade Stone to Ottawa (crossing my fingers). I like Rieder because he’s 25, cheap, fast and his numbers show he can help control possession while starting mostly in the DZ against above average opposition.

That first line hops over the boards for a lot of offensive zone shifts because I think it will produce a ton of goals. The second line and forth lines have two players each that are able to control possession against reasonably difficult opposition: Backlund and Lindholm, Rieder and Shore. So I view these lines as taking approximately 45% OZS% each because I want the first line in the OZ tons. Finally, the third line is the more sheltered line. I think Jankowski needs that as he continues to develop based on last year’s numbers, when he and Bennett had a very high event line. They produced many chances but gave up many chances too. With Jankowski, I have a very responsible (I remember the Vegas game) winger to mentor Jankowski in the defensive zone. Mangiapane and Jankowski has offensive chemistry in the AHL. Why not try them together in the NHL?

It’s a very young lineup, but I don’t care.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Frolik
Rieder - Shore - Foo

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak/Kylington/Valimaki - Andersson
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #802
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan- Lindholm
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Foo
Bennett - Backlund - Dube (Frolik)
Klimchuk - Lazar - Mangiapane (Brouwer)

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak/Kylington - Andersson (Stone)

Guys in parenthesis () are players I wouldn't mind if they were gone.
Seeing what sort of line up can be constructed with current players shows why the Flames will be making a big UFA signing..... you would like to go with 6 rookies 5 were that were on the same mediocre AHL team.

If an AHL team had 5 players that were NHL ready they should win the Calder Cup,

I have a feeling that Dube will be in the NHL faster than all the AHL players but Andersson.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #803
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Seeing what sort of line up can be constructed with current players shows why the Flames will be making a big UFA signing..... you would like to go with 6 rookies 5 were that were on the same mediocre AHL team.

If an AHL team had 5 players that were NHL ready they should win the Calder Cup,

I have a feeling that Dube will be in the NHL faster than all the AHL players but Andersson.

Those rookies were the main drivers in the AHL and if they do make the big club, they become support players so it's totally different. They would be developing playing with NHL players therefore they can still get better. It's not like you're relying on wins from these guys, you're more relying on added support.

In
Foo, Dube, Klimchuck, Mangianpane, Andersson, maybe Kylington

Out
Brouwer, Frolik, Stajan, Hathaway, Stone, maybe Kulak

Can those new possible 6 be better than the old 6? Maybe Frolik is the best player out of all those but I don't see how we wouldn't be the same if not better with those players, rookies or not. I also don't see it as a "risk" because we need to get better and also develop for the future.

Secondly, you don't need to have Calder champs in your system to be Stanley cup champs.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #804
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

If an AHL team had 5 players that were NHL ready they should win the Calder Cup...
Teams that win the Calder Cup are typically veteran-laden teams. The 2018 AHL Championship Toronto Marlies's top three scoring forwards included 29-year-old Ben Smith and 31-year-old Chris Mueller. Six of their top-ten scorers were under 25-years-old. By way of comparison the Flames's AHL affiliate—the Stockton Heat— had no players on their top lines anywhere near 30-years-old, and nine of their top-ten scorers were all under 25.

Your constant irrational hatred for AHL development is bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #805
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t no where else to put this but since his name has been tossed about I found this hf posters description of Vanek to be both accurate and hilarious

Tries so hilariously little defensively, takes clappers on breakaways, looks like he gives zero ****s 90% of the time he's on the ice. And that's combined with stretches of being incredibly animated on the bench and essentially acting as an assistant coach.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #806
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you believe the current UFA rumors around Ryan Reaves and Derek Ryan we could be heading into opening day with a forward lineup something like this.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Frolik
Brouwer - Ryan - Reaves
Foo - Lazar

I don't mind the top 6, but the bottom 6 is still a bit scary. I think if you do sign Ryan and Reaves we need to buy out Brouwer to make a spot from some of our younger players.

Ideally we add another top 6 forward like Perron/JVR/Neil. Better to be pushing players like Bennett out of the Top 6 that to be filling the bottom six with roll players with limited skill.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #807
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer + Frolik for Bobby Ryan (20 % retained) + Pageau
Sign Derek Ryan 2 x 2.5
Sign Reaves 2 x 1.5

Gaudreau - Monahan - B. Ryan
Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Jankowski - Backlund - Pageau
Mangiapane - D. Ryan - Foo
Reaves, Hathaway

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kulak

Smith
Rittich/Gillies
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #808
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we could get Neal on a 4-5 year deal in addition to the two other rumored signings I would be much more comfortable with our forward group heading into the season.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Neal - Backlund - Tkachuk
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Reaves - Ryan - Lazar
Brouwer-Mangiapane

Ultimately, Ryan is a good addition and provides us with lots of flexibility in the line up, but I can't help but wish for another top 6 impact center.

The way I look at is Lindholm provides us with more 2 way skill and flexibility, while Neal and Reaves essentially replace what Ferland brought and hopefully even improve it.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #809
Torch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Grabner
Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Reaves - Ryan - Lazar

Mangiapane
Hathaway
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #810
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer @ 50% + conditional 3rd (Perry puts up 40 points). for Corey Perry @ 25%. Perry has 3 years of 8.62m, so we take on the extra year of 6.47m. Keeps us under "Giordano/Gaudreau max"

Why do I trade for Perry?

1) Gets him off of Anaheim, one less POS to worry about.
2) 2 seasons back he was a 30 goal scorer. Still puts up 50 points regardless of him declining a little. Slot him next to Gaudreau and Monahan, you've got yourself a 30 goal scorer/60 point player easily.
3) 100x the player Brouwer is.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Perry
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Klimchuk - Ryan - Shore
Lazar

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone/Andersson
UFA

Smith
Gillies (Rittich probably traded).

I put Klimchuk because I think he deserves a shot at the lineup. He's more of a bottom 6er than Mangiapane, who I feel would benefit more with another year in the AHL and compete for the middle 6 LW spot in a year. Same thing goes for Foo on the RW side. Stone would be an ideal trade too. I think Andersson won't be fully into the lineup until Stone is traded at the deadline.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #811
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
If we could get Neal on a 4-5 year deal in addition to the two other rumored signings I would be much more comfortable with our forward group heading into the season.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Neal - Backlund - Tkachuk
Reaves - Ryan - Lazar
Brouwer-Mangiapane

Ultimately, Ryan is a good addition and provides us with lots of flexibility in the line up, but I can't help but wish for another top 6 impact center.

The way I look at is Lindholm provides us with more 2 way skill and flexibility, while Neal and Reaves essentially replace what Ferland brought and hopefully even improve it.
This one!

I think adding 3 forwards is the best solution. I had the same 3 with slightly different lines. Could swap Neal and JVR depending on term and $ but I think Neal will be a better contract slightly.

If needed, buyout Brouwer.
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:01 AM   #812
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sign JVR
Sign Rieder
Trade Bennett for picks
Buyout Brouwer

Sign Shore or Sign Ryan + Trade Stone

Gaudreau - Monahan - Van Riemsdyk
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Lindholm
Rieder - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Shore/Ryan - Foo

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone/Andersson

Smith
Rittich

Last edited by doctajones428; 06-29-2018 at 12:04 AM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #813
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I definitely know Markwould love to play in Calgary. At this point it's what would the Flames give up for him, or what can they afford?

Last edited by Jiggy; 06-29-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #814
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Brouwer @ 50% + conditional 3rd (Perry puts up 40 points). for Corey Perry @ 25%. Perry has 3 years of 8.62m, so we take on the extra year of 6.47m. Keeps us under "Giordano/Gaudreau max"

Why do I trade for Perry?

1) Gets him off of Anaheim, one less POS to worry about.
2) 2 seasons back he was a 30 goal scorer. Still puts up 50 points regardless of him declining a little. Slot him next to Gaudreau and Monahan, you've got yourself a 30 goal scorer/60 point player easily.
3) 100x the player Brouwer is.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Perry
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Klimchuk - Ryan - Shore
Lazar

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone/Andersson
UFA

Smith
Gillies (Rittich probably traded).

I put Klimchuk because I think he deserves a shot at the lineup. He's more of a bottom 6er than Mangiapane, who I feel would benefit more with another year in the AHL and compete for the middle 6 LW spot in a year. Same thing goes for Foo on the RW side. Stone would be an ideal trade too. I think Andersson won't be fully into the lineup until Stone is traded at the deadline.

Interesting lineup. I'd be interested in Perry if the price is right but what incentive would Anaheim have to give him away to a division rival, take a horrible player / contract in return and pay part of Perry's salary to boot?

Any reason we'd want him would be the same for Anaheim not wanting to give him away for next to nothing, especially to a team in their division so they'd have him playing against them so many times.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:44 AM   #815
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=ForeverFlameFan;6725970
3) 100x the player Brouwer.[/QUOTE]

And Anaheim trades a player who is 100x better than Brouwer for Brouwer why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #816
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I definitely know Mike would love to play in Calgary. At this point it's what would the Flames give up for him, or what can they afford?
Who's Mike?
Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #817
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

How come everyone seems to forget about Dube? One of our best prospects and he stands a good chance of making the team in the fall.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #818
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Who's Mike?
Cammalleri obviously..,.......
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #819
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
How come everyone seems to forget about Dube? One of our best prospects and he stands a good chance of making the team in the fall.
I hope he does! Graduating a prospect or two the team annually would be ideal.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #820
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
And Anaheim trades a player who is 100x better than Brouwer for Brouwer why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My first thought as well. Explained Calgary’s angle just fine... but why the hell would Anaheim do that deal?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote