Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #121
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Stupid play. His excuses we're equally as dumb.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #122
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
And take a too many men penalty in the process?

Come on now.
Too woozy to notice a ref until the last split second.

Rapidly analyzes unprecedented situation to manage a potential too many men penalty.

Come on now.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #123
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is amazing how this statement comes purely because this is a Calgary Flame hockey player. I guarantee if Wideman had been a Canuck instead of a Flame, most of the posts like the one I quoted would be commending the NHL on a job well done. You can say different but it is rather obvious.
Just stop with this. You don't know how other people would react if it was a non-Flame, and if you say otherwise you are full of something.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #124
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm intrigued to see the NHL logic in their statement.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #125
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious as to how many of the folks who are outraged over the Wideman suspension were the same ones who want him shipped out for a bag of pucks? Conversely, if the incident were to happen to say, Andrej Sekera, what would the reaction be?

I'm okay with the suspension. Woozy or groggy or whatever the excuse is, Wideman cross-checked a linesman. Can't do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #126
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Message is clear, don't touch an official.

NHL has a whole bunch of reasons to make this decision except your unhinged persecution complex.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #127
Chip Hilton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I will be very interested to see how this incident will affect the attitude of the officials toward the Flames in general, going forward. Will the Flames start having lots of calls or non-calls unfairly go against them? I strongly suspect the answer to this question is "Yes" but we will will see. For this reason, if I was a Flames fan, I would be quite happy with the 20 game suspension....had Wideman gotten off scot free or lightly, you can bet the officials would have taken things out on the Flames with a vengeance. They may yet do so, but the 20 games might temper things a bit.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #128
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
How do you know he said he was 'woozy' in the hearing? People have been making grand leaps in logic that every time you take a hit that unsettles you it = concussion which = woozy. There is a lot more grey there.
Because it was reported as having been said. There was no grand leaps there, I never said concussed=woozy. I said he wasn't concussed, woozy, dizzy, on acid, or anything else like that.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #129
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is amazing how this statement comes purely because this is a Calgary Flame hockey player. I guarantee if Wideman had been a Canuck instead of a Flame, most of the posts like the one I quoted would be commending the NHL on a job well done. You can say different but it is rather obvious.
Where do you get that idea?

I don't think that Yanek Weber hit (on the same linesman) would be worth 20 games either.

This is not wearing Flames coloured glasses. If I really believed Wideman deliberately attacked an official I'd want the book thrown at him. It simply wasn't the case though. Its really bad optics from one camera angle that have incriminated him.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #130
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't say I disagree with the decision. It's a harsh punishment. I believe Wideman when he said it was an accident. But the video made it awfully hard to see it that way.

In the end, Wideman is responsible for his actions and the league has to protect it's officials. I think an appeal might results in a handful of games being removed, but I can't say I disagree with the NHL on this one.

Those of us (myself included) who were begging for Wideman to be taken out of the lineup finally get our wish. Let's hope the team can rally around this and we see some of the boys step up bigtime.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #131
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Too woozy to notice a ref until the last split second.

Conscious enough to be worried about too many men.

Come on now.
Clearly he had enough wits about him to get off the ice. He signals for a change so he knows a player is coming on for him. It doesn't matter if he bumps into a ref, a Flame, or a Predator he is getting off the ice.

So yeah, he had enough wits to be worried about a too many men penalty.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #132
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Just stop with this. You don't know how other people would react if it was a non-Flame, and if you say otherwise you are full of something.
Sure, obvious is obvious.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #133
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
What a clown..

Does anyone else think that this was aimed to hurt the Flames also due to their mis-handling on the bench of not sending Wide's to the quiet room?

It hurts the team by not being able to trade him since the suspension goes beyond the deadline?
I think this was done because Wideman purposely hit an official, and the NHL wants to maintain a very strict stance on defending their employees.

Nothing more.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #134
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only issue I see with this ruling is that Wideman just got plastered prior to the incident to it's impossible for anyone to know if he was in the right frame of mind. I assume the NHLPA will appeal and we will go from there. Regardless of how many games he misses you have to take the positives of the situation in that maybe a guy like Nakladal may get some ice time and if Russell is dealt at the deadline possibly another AHL call-up. Wideman was never going to be moved at the deadline so I don't believe this alters in any way the deadline for this team. If anything it's going to make things easier for Treliving as the team is likely going to be well out of contention and he can focus on supplementing the team's draft position.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-03-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #135
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great. Nhl sends a message and we get a wideman free team for a while to see whether or not he would be missed. I dont see a downside.

Everyone winds except Dennis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #136
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post

Jumps into the linesman before contact, follows through with both arms, and like Wideman shows no concern afterward for the linesman's health. 0 games.

No doubt Wideman's is worse, but how is that a 20-game difference in punishment.
The linesmen was to blame because he's facing the play (shoot be looking at the puck) and gets hit by a player chasing the puck. Wideman hit an unsuspecting linesman.

The question I have, is why the hell are there linesman with today's technology? These guys just get in the way. A sensor connected to a horn should be enough to create more space on the ice, which is good for players.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #137
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
What is the precedent? Accidental (gray area), but violent contact means potentially a 20 game suspension?
This happened earlier in January. Muzzin is kind of reckless going in like he did.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #138
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Where do you get that idea?

I don't think that Yanek Weber hit (on the same linesman) would be worth 20 games either.

This is not wearing Flames coloured glasses. If I really believed Wideman deliberately attacked an official I'd want the book thrown at him. It simply wasn't the case though. Its really bad optics from one camera angle that have incriminated him.
So you think through all of this the NHL looked at one camera angle? I don't think so.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #139
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm no criminal minds style profiler, but I don't really get the intentional angle either.

If he is of the mind to intentionally target a referee, why the linesman? Just because he is wearing stripes? Because Henderson represents the refereeing fraternity?

Or was it just a careless "I'm injured and need to get to the bench, get out of my way!"
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #140
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Hilton View Post
I will be very interested to see how this incident will affect the attitude of the officials toward the Flames in general, going forward. Will the Flames start having lots of calls or non-calls unfairly go against them? I strongly suspect the answer to this question is "Yes" but we will will see. For this reason, if I was a Flames fan, I would be quite happy with the 20 game suspension....had Wideman gotten off scot free or lightly, you can bet the officials would have taken things out on the Flames with a vengeance. They may yet do so, but the 20 games might temper things a bit.
If they are unprofessional and corrupt then, yes, I think we could see that.
Closed Thread