Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #381
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Rob & Pat going at it on the FAN right now. Getting pretty heated.
What Video are they referring to that Darcy from Calgary puck sent to them?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #382
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^^^^^
And I think that's also what annoys people. The PR angle. When the crime seems hard to prove or has a grey area, PR and other things take over the decision making.

I'm not saying this was the case, I just think the uncertainty combined with the punishment seems for lack of a better word. Unfair.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #383
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

https://t.co/JPmehXzZpr

Zero games. Henderson again. There are no other extenuating factors to argue. They simply collided. Arms up exactly the same way, it's a natural reaction to protect yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #384
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
What Video are they referring to that Darcy from Calgary puck sent to them?
Yannik Weber from the preseason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #385
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Hansen one and the Muzzin one are better examples than the Webber one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #386
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the uncertainty is more posters from here. I don't see that same "uncertainty" in most other places. I think most people think Wideman cross checked a lineman in the back and it was a pretty dirty play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #387
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I doubt he appeals and if he does, I doubt they lower the amount of games.

The league clearly established that they view this as a significant foul and worthy of a lengthy suspension.

I don't disagree either. Zero Tolerance for touching an official.
Yep. Make it a public hanging.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #388
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

Zero games. Henderson again. There are no other extenuating factors to argue. They simply collided. Arms up exactly the same way, it's a natural reaction to protect yourself.
You don't see a difference in those 2 plays?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #389
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I'd say you can guage what the league is thinking if you compare this suspension to the other ones.

They very obviously don't feel like Wideman's explanation is any good.

In fact, based on the length of the suspension alone and the fact that the didn't technically have to suspend him at all given no penalty on the play, it wouldn't surprise me if some people inside the league were calling for an even longer suspension.

I imagine it was made clear to Wideman that he's getting 20 games for a reason and that an appeal at this point might expose him and the flames to more PR problems.
PR problems? Somehow I doubt an appeal is going to cause PR problems for anyone.

And assuming the appeal to Bettman doesn't lead to a suspension below 6 games, he can appeal to someone outside of the NHL to arbitrate, so the NHL's opinion doesn't matter.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #390
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You don't see a difference in those 2 plays?
Sure, I'll take the bait.

One guy just got clocked in the corner and was dazed, the other was just skating normally. If you want to argue one vs the other, I know which one I would suggest is worse.

However, only one has the byproduct of the official having physical after effects. Neither are suspendable offenses though, IMO.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #391
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree the officials are not to be touched. I think accidental contact should still be punished. Lucic should have been punished for the punch.

I don't think Wideman was intentional.

If it was intentional, if the NHL actually thought that Wideman formulated a plan to hit a linesman, saw his opportunity, and took the chance to run a linesman from behind and cross check him in the upper back, then he should be gone forever should he not?

How the hell is 20 games an adequate punishment for an intentional attack on an official? It is not. The NHL gave the penalty that would appease the officials union, and to a slightly lesser extent the "media and public", knowing full well that he would appeal and it would come back to a more reasonable 7-15 games for the accidental contact to an official.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #392
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glad he got 20.

If he was indeed woozy, Flames failed in not at least pulling him to the back, might have saved him a few games at least.

Instead no leg to stand on, he's an idiot for smoking a ref and he's had a terrible season anyways. Take a seat back Wideman and think about what you've done (or haven't!).
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Doom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #393
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Warrior View Post
Is that right?

50.10 (c) For Players that are suspended, either by a Club or by the League, the Player Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit or against the Players' Share for the duration of the suspension, but the Club must have Payroll Room for such Player's Player Salary and Bonuses in order for such Player to be able to return to
Play for the Club.

And if there is relief, is he more desirable to a contender -- cap relief and a player?
There is no relief for Wideman

This is what Bill Daley had to say on section 50.10 (c):

Yes, the salary of players suspended for on-ice incidents do continue to count against the cap.

This section was intended to apply to players who receive no salary as a result of a team or League suspension. Supplementary discipline suspensions for on-ice conduct receive specific (and different) salary treatment as per the CBA, where forfeited salary is paid (albeit to the Emergency Assistance Fund) and by agreement of the NHL and NHLPA the player's full salary continues to count against the team's cap.

source: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ion-salary-cap
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #394
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Why do people continue to insist that Henderson's and Weber's collision is exactly the same as Wideman's incident with Henderson? There are dramatic differences in speed, direction, and context that cannot simply be ignored, and it is tiresome that some posters keep doing so in their defence of Wideman.

In the end, the Weber / Henderson hit appears most likely to be purely accidental—a collision between a player and an official that occurred at high speed. The Wideman / Henderson hit appears possibly accidental, but also very plausibly deliberate. The fact that it took place away from the play, at low speed, and with ample opportunity for avoidance produces a tremendous amount of uncertainty relative to the Weber / Henderson hit. They are simply not comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #395
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I realize we are going in circles with this, but the Yannick Weber hit isn't comparable.

First, Henderson is at fault in that one as he skated into Weber's path. This factor alone makes this entire video moot.

That said...

Second, while Weber gets his hands up as a protective measure due to his surprise, he doesn't crosscheck Henderson.

Third. No injuries on the play. People can whine about it all they like, but injuries matter to NHL discipline.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #396
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, I'll take the bait.

One guy just got clocked in the corner and was dazed, the other was just skating normally. If you want to argue one vs the other, I know which one I would suggest is worse.

However, only one has the byproduct of the official having physical after effects. Neither are suspendable offences though, IMO.
One guy chasing the puck engaged in the play. The other sauntering to bench after getting hit and not getting the call then cross checking a ref?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #397
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the suspension, it is just the length and arbitrary decision that starting now they will be enforcing abuse of the official rules. The inconstancy of the NHL annoys me. It seems that what probably factored most in this all of this was the media/social network coverage rather than the incident itself.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #398
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, Don Henderson gets a little 'too involved' doesnt he? Coincidence? I think not!

Its a League Conspiracy!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #399
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
One guy chasing the puck engaged in the play. The other sauntering to bench after getting hit and not getting the call then cross checking a ref?
Linesman Not a ref. Man I keep seeing this and it raises my hackles.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #400
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
...If it was intentional, if the NHL actually thought that Wideman formulated a plan to hit a linesman, saw his opportunity, and took the chance to run a linesman from behind and cross check him in the upper back, then he should be gone forever should he not?
No. It does not have to have been premeditated to have been intentional. It could have been a reactionary response borne of an instance of frustration. It is still a deliberate action to hit an unsuspecting recipient from behind, but not one that was formulated and planned beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Closed Thread