Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Notary Public - Affidavit of Elligibility Canada

So I won a prize from a survey I completed in December of last year. One of the documents I have to fill out to claim the prize, is an Affidavit of Elligibility Canada, which I have to get notarized. I told the people running the survey that it was ridiculous that I have to have a document notarized to win a prize, so they doubled the prize as compensation (VISA Gift card). I was going to bail on the prize since it was just $100 and the fee for notarizing the doc plus my time made it kind of a wash. But since they've doubled it and the new Lego Porsche is coming out in a week or so, I decided to go through it.

Loooooong story short, can a document be notarized online? Or is this something I've got to go in person for. Some of the "online" options I've seen talk about mailing me the docment, etc. Just looking for some clarity.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So I won a prize from a survey I completed in December of last year. One of the documents I have to fill out to claim the prize, is an Affidavit of Elligibility Canada, which I have to get notarized. I told the people running the survey that it was ridiculous that I have to have a document notarized to win a prize, so they doubled the prize as compensation (VISA Gift card). I was going to bail on the prize since it was just $100 and the fee for notarizing the doc plus my time made it kind of a wash. But since they've doubled it and the new Lego Porsche is coming out in a week or so, I decided to go through it.

Loooooong story short, can a document be notarized online? Or is this something I've got to go in person for. Some of the "online" options I've seen talk about mailing me the docment, etc. Just looking for some clarity.

I will do it for you for free - you will have to see me in person (in a safe way).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks troutman! I've caught a cold from one of my boys, so I'll be sticking to the house for the next little while. I appreciate that very much and will reach out when I'm clear of symptoms.

So safe to say then a notarizing can not be a strictly online thing? I figured as much.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks troutman! I've caught a cold from one of my boys, so I'll be sticking to the house for the next little while. I appreciate that very much and will reach out when I'm clear of symptoms.

So safe to say then a notarizing can not be a strictly online thing? I figured as much.
There is a temporary permission to notarize land title documents by video:

https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/guidanc...-registration/

Queen's Bench - remote commissioning of affidavits:

https://www.albertacourts.ca/qb/reso...-of-affidavits

Last edited by troutman; 02-05-2021 at 02:25 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I will do it for you for free - you will have to see me in person (in a safe way).
Should of asked for a cut of the prize money...

Or to help build the lego.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I just want everyone to think back to March 12th 2020, and wonder to themselves what troutman could have meant when implying there was an unsafe way.

#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this a scam to scrub your personal information? That's the first thing I thought of when I read this post...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something does seem off with this. Is it a major company that you've heard of before?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #9
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

What part of town are you in? I think trout is far NW. I am deep SE and will also do it for a competitive price to his.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some good people in this community
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #11
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I told the people running the survey that it was ridiculous that I have to have a document notarized to win a prize, so they doubled the prize as compensation (VISA Gift card).
I went through a phase where I entered a lot of contests, which resulted in me winning all sorts of stuff (everything from a high end bike to a chance to carry the Olympic torch). I never had to have anything notarized, and the prizes were certainly never negotiable.

I think it is very likely that this is some sort of scam.

Either an information harvesting one, as mentioned, or possibly they'll hit you up for some sort of fees later. Having to have gotten something notarized makes you more invested in the prize (sunk cost fallacy) and more likely to pay an "activation fee" or something similar.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Be careful woob! Two words:

Human Centipad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #13
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haha, sorry all. I hadn't checked in on this thread in awhile. It's not a scam, no. Survey was run by a vendor we deal with and they used a third party to facilitate the survey/prizes. The third party is a large company which has many fortune 500 companies as clients. I think the required documentation may be due them being an American company and I being a Canadian winner? I did do a search with the third party name and scam/etc. and nothing worrying came up. Definitely odd about that notarary requirement.

I appreciate everyone's concern though!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #14
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey troutman - FYI I sent you a PM regarding this. Thanks again.