Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #81
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
He scored 17 goals last season. Had 40+ pts last two seasons, how many 4th liners can do that?
pretty well all of them if they play with McDavid and get PP time like Maroon did. give me his goal and point totals without McDavid or Hall.

I was at one website and it said last year with the oilers 5v5 he played with McDavid 77% of the time.

he's a very good 4th liner or an average 3rd liner at best.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #82
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
StLouis must be a nice place to live or something. Seems like they have a lot of luck bringing guys in and bringing guys back at healthy prices.
I read an article years ago saying that guys love playing in St. Louis. It's an established hockey market, but doesn't have the scrutiny of a big-market or Canadian city. Climate is good. The city - the part professional athletes live in - is supposed to be really nice. And ownership and management treat the players well. Apparently it's just one of those cities that's really appealing to NHLers for reasons that aren't evident to fans.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-09-2018 at 04:25 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #83
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
pretty well all of them if they play with McDavid and get PP time like Maroon did. give me his goal and point totals without McDavid or Hall.

I was at one website and it said last year with the oilers 5v5 he played with McDavid 77% of the time.

I think you're underrating him.

Hes an excellent 3rd liner but likely a 2nd liner at best in short stints.

4th liners usually arent even sniffing at anything close to 20 goals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #84
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

4th liner on a cup team, but I think he would fall more into the third line player that can move up. I thought him and Ferland played similar styles, some physicality with a good shot and ability to elevate their game with good line-mates.

Not every fourth liner is going to have the shooting or skating skill to keep up with McDavid, but he also shouldn't be counted on to put up 40+ points without good linemates. Solid depth signing.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I read an article years ago saying that guys love playing in St. Louis. It's an established hockey market, but doesn't have the scrutiny of a big-market or Canadian city. Climate is good. The city - the part professional athletes live in - is supposed to be really nice. And ownership and management treat the players well. Apparently it's just one of those cities that's really appealing to NHLers for reasons that aren't evident to fans.
Yeah but the crime rate is terrible. If it's not the worst in the US it's pretty close.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #86
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Wow. I was way off thinking he might get Bozak money. Seems like a good deal at that rate.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #87
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but the crime rate is terrible. If it's not the worst in the US it's pretty close.
Still a step up from Stabmonton.

These guys are living in the nicer and safer parts of St. Louis though not the hood.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #88
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Maroon changed his agent a few days ago:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...ign=user-share

Quote:
Patrick Maroon, the free-agent forward from Oakville in south St. Louis County, changed agents a few days ago and that may be delaying his decision on a new team _ if only for a few days _ while Maroon's new representative shops around for new offers.

Maroon had been represented by St. Louis-based agent Allain Roy, but has switched to Minneapolis-based Ben Hankinson. Roy could not be reached for comment on the split. But frequently in such situations, regardless of the sport, it's simply a matter of the player not being happy with the offers or interest on the open market.
Quote:
"He could end up signing with St. Louis as early as today or tomorrow, but he's got some other good options as well," Hankinson told KFAN radio in Minneapolis on Sunday. "So we're kind of sorting through the one_, vs. two_, vs. three-year options for him."

Hankinson said he has talked to the Minnesota Wild about Maroon. The New Jersey Devils, for whom Maroon finished last season, and the Arizona Coyotes are thought to be among other teams interested.
Probably all tactics to try and get a better offer from St. Louis.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #89
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1 year 1.7 seems crazy. I can understand taking a discount to be close to your son but if it means you're passing up $10-15 million elsewhere I think you would have to strongly consider the sacrifice. You can still be involved in your kids life every chance you get and after a few years you're set up to provide a life for your family most only dream of. I just see Maroon as the type of player who should cash in while he can. He very easily could have an average season or even worse have a major injury.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #90
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ty Rattie had 9 points in 14 games playing with McDavid...he is a boarder line NHLer who has been playing in beer league tournaments over the summer

you might be on to something
Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #91
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maroon's playoff scoring is substantially higher than his regular season scoring.

Scores at at 47 point pace in the playoffs vs 38 points in the regular season.

Coaches keep tapping Maroon to play with talent and he does alright there. Not sure how that makes him a 4th line player.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #92
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Maroon's playoff scoring is substantially higher than his regular season scoring.

Scores at at 47 point pace in the playoffs vs 38 points in the regular season.

Coaches keep tapping Maroon to play with talent and he does alright there. Not sure how that makes him a 4th line player.
He probably is a third liner at best on a good team if we are being honest

(no shame in playing on the 3rd line in the NHL)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #93
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He probably is a third liner at best on a good team if we are being honest

(no shame in playing on the 3rd line in the NHL)
Sure in terms of pure talent, but if NHL coaches see some value in playing Maroon with top six players something about his skill set makes him worthy of the ice time right?

Lots of good teams play 3rd line talent guys in their top six. Maroon in Anaheim with Getz/Perry. Tom Wilson with this year's cup champs. Dwight King with Kopitar in 13/14.

I think this shows Maroon has proven himself worthy of a $3 mil per year contract such as Roussel or Ryan.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:57 AM   #94
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So is Maroon the next Glencross?

Put's up good numbers, takes a home town discount, and is out of the league in a few years?

It may serve Maroon well to read this article from Glencross

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...nt-with-flames
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #95
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Maroon, I just think he's overrated because of his McDavid inflated point totals compared to his career average.
I think a team would regret paying him more than 2.5 per year for 3 years.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #96
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016672138223280128
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #97
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like Maroon, I just think he's overrated because of his McDavid inflated point totals compared to his career average.
I think a team would regret paying him more than 2.5 per year for 3 years.
As long as he can score 15 goals a season I don't see how any team would regret paying him $2.5 per season for only three years. He's also a physical presence and a guy you can rotate in your powerplay as a net presence. There are less useful players in this league making more money than this.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #98
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of getting UFA status is you get to decide where you go. I think he is in a unique situation where there is only one team he wants to go to because of his family situation. Honestly sometimes it might not be worth being a mercenary and taking the highest price. Family is obviously a big priority for him and being able to spend time with his son definitely has value to him. By being in STL he probably increased the amount of time with his son thirtyfold. It isn't like a extra million dollars will give him that time with his son. This is a family over career move and I can respect that. Also, it isn't like he isn't going to a decent team.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #99
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Doesn't matter at all to the rich who live in affluent neighbourhoods. It's not as though they ever go near the crime-ridden areas. Same as Chicago and Washington.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #100
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Changes agents, gets same deal??

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016737307485986823
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote