Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #41
awildermode
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
... ok, San Jose proper isn’t that phenomenal, but you realise these guys are probably living in San Francisco and the more affluent spots around the Bay Area right? It’s not like the Golden State Warriors all live in Oakland.

Plus, San Jose still has a lot of miles left, they’ve been good at working young guys into and up theor lineup. They’re going to be good for a while.

San Francisco is at least an hour away (with traffic) from San Jose. Not the most enjoyable drive. Players are most likely living closer to San Jose and South Bay.

If California is the destination. LA or Anaheim is a better option. Many players live in/near the beach cities. Traffic is still bad, but you live in a better area.

All three California teams are just as competitive and, arguably, have roughly the same odds.

As for the Warriors, they are much closer to SF and East Bay. Therefore, better options for housing.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
San Francisco is at least an hour away (with traffic) from San Jose. Not the most enjoyable drive. Players are most likely living closer to San Jose and South Bay.

If California is the destination. LA or Anaheim is a better option. Many players live in/near the beach cities. Traffic is still bad, but you live in a better area.

All three California teams are just as competitive and, arguably, have roughly the same odds.

As for the Warriors, they are much closer to SF and East Bay. Therefore, better options for housing.
With traffic, everywhere is an hour away from everywhere else in the Bay Area lol, and in LA for that matter!

Point being, access to really really nice areas is pretty simple from San Jose. It’s not just sought after “because California,” it’s sought after because the Bay Area would be a great place to live and play hockey.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #43
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010989781755441152
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #44
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

F*** off San Jose
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
With traffic, everywhere is an hour away from everywhere else in the Bay Area lol, and in LA for that matter!

Point being, access to really really nice areas is pretty simple from San Jose. It’s not just sought after “because California,” it’s sought after because the Bay Area would be a great place to live and play hockey.
Yeah, San Jose is not where the young guys go for a glamorous lifestyle. But it's a place with a excellent community standard of living, good weather, nice places to live and is a pretty quiet, good place to settle.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #46
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
F*** off San Jose
I think it's a joke, referencing when the Warriors did that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #47
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Is that a joke or real? There sending like 8 guys to woo him? That seems a bit overkill
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #48
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Is that a joke or real? There sending like 8 guys to woo him? That seems a bit overkill
The Sharks ARE pushing really hard for him apparantely, but the Hamptons thing with polayers is a joke because the bay area's basketball team did that.

Quote:
If you've been watching the NBA playoffs, you may have heard of the Golden State Warriors starting their "Hamptons Five" lineup. And if you're like me, you were probably wondering why a team from the west coast was referring to a rich area in New York for their nicknames.

As it turns out, the "Hamptons Five" nickname originates from Kevin Durant's free agency meeting with Golden State. Just weeks after blowing a 3-1 lead against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals, Durant expressed interest in playing in the Bay and the Warriors understandably pursued the star forward.

The two sides met at the Hamptons on New York's Long Island. To convince Durant, four Warriors stars attended the meeting: Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson and Andre Iguodala.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/golden-s...origin-history

Last edited by btimbit; 06-24-2018 at 03:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #49
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think tavares is going to sj. They have the money to make a huge offer and they will become an instant competitor with him on the team. I hate that they will be in our division
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #50
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be fine with him going to San Jose these huge free agent signings don't really work out as planned usually.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #51
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I was hanging out with Joe after the community centre in St Thomas was named after him. Expect an announcement soon of him returning to the Sharks, he is taking a serious pay cut on a one year deal but I didn't ask for a figure and I don't think he even knows depending on what is left after the team makes their moves. We didn't even talk about Tavares so nothing to add there. My youngest son Damian got to skate for an hour with him as well, he was pretty jazzed about that but was also acting very shy lol. Joe is such a great guy, I hate the Sharks but would love to see him get a Cup.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'd be fine with him going to San Jose these huge free agent signings don't really work out as planned usually.
I'd be fine with them spending 11+ million on one player but the idea of having Tavares in the division is not fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #53
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I was hanging out with Joe after the community centre in St Thomas was named after him. Expect an announcement soon of him returning to the Sharks, he is taking a serious pay cut on a one year deal but I didn't ask for a figure and I don't think he even knows depending on what is left after the team makes their moves.
That's been the rumour for a while. He wants to return to San Jose and is willing to take whatever they have left after they get their other UFA/RFA signings done.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #54
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
dunno... JT is pretty darn young compared to most of those other UFA signings... it think he'll turn out well for whomever lands him... the price tag may still be hard to justify though...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'd be fine with them spending 11+ million on one player but the idea of having Tavares in the division is not fun.
Kind of like having McDavid in the division... how will we ever compete?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #56
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think if he moves from the Islanders he goes with Toronto and they have 25 million in cap space which is plenty left over for Mathews when they need it.. Basically this gives them them a version of the Crosby/Malkin build model and it also makes sense in terms of what the Leafs have done in clearing cap space(Bozek/JVR)as well. The third centre will be Kadri for now and they will compete for years.

San Jose is just a bit too old with Burns, Pavelski, and Thornton way over thirty. Even Kane and Couture are not so young. They will probably offer the most money though.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #57
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why on earth is Vegas not in on these sweepstakes. Obvious need, oodles of cap space. If I was Tavares this would be the logical destination.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #58
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I think if he moves from the Islanders he goes with Toronto and they have 25 million in cap space which is plenty left over for Mathews when they need it.. Basically this gives them them a version of the Crosby/Malkin build model and it also makes sense in terms of what the Leafs have done in clearing cap space(Bozek/JVR)as well. The third centre will be Kadri for now and they will compete for years.

San Jose is just a bit too old with Burns, Pavelski, and Thornton way over thirty. Even Kane and Couture are not so young. They will probably offer the most money though.
If they sign Tavares to 12 mill they still need to extend Matthews and Marner at the end of next year, Nylander this year and outside of Zaitsev x 6 years and Rielly x 4 years they have no established defenceman locked up past the end of next year.

Tavares x 10.5 mill - let’s say he takes a hometown discount
Matthews x 9 mill - At the very least
Marner x 7 mill - He’ll easily command that
Nylander x 5.5 mill - at the very least

They need to shed salary from the likes of Marleau, Martin or Kadri to make it work if they want to keep all their shining pieces and Tavares.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #59
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
If they sign Tavares to 12 mill they still need to extend Matthews and Marner at the end of next year, Nylander this year and outside of Zaitsev x 6 years and Rielly x 4 years they have no established defenceman locked up past the end of next year.

Tavares x 10.5 mill - let’s say he takes a hometown discount
Matthews x 9 mill - At the very least
Marner x 7 mill - He’ll easily command that
Nylander x 5.5 mill - at the very least

They need to shed salary from the likes of Marleau, Martin or Kadri to make it work if they want to keep all their shining pieces and Tavares.
Yeah, and you see that discount is highly unlikely.

If you believe the reports that the Isles have offered $88 million, that offer is only $73.5 million. That will be ridiculously shocking if he leaves $14.5 million on the table. The only places where he can take a discount like that IMO are places where he can make back some of that lost gross with lower taxes. Dallas and Tampa for instance.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #60
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Can't help but wonder if the Flames had made the playoffs this season if they make Tavares' list. I wouldn't mistake the Flames for a contender, either.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post: