Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #301
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He's either playing with Tkachuk or Gaudreau. His totals should go up!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #302
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle View Post
Here's Lindholm's interview on the Fan960: https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pat-ste...lly-good-team/

The one thing that I liked that he said at the end of the interview is that he definitely sees himself scoring more goals. That is his focus for improvement in the coming years and he wants to be a consistent 20 goal scorer.
So do we. So do we...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #303
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Maybe in a few years but for now it's looking like it will make Frolik expendable if he doesn't have a bounce back year
Players like Frolik and Backlund can never be redundant on a good, deep roster capable of rolling three, even four lines. Fans are going to be pleasantly surprised at how good these players look this season now that Backlund and Frolik can be dedicated in roles that are more fitting to their skill sets.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #304
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we have backlund/frolik against the top lines at home, that should improve match ups for two other scoring lines. Hopefully that should make a big difference to the home record this year...

There is value there even without big point totals.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #305
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
But really, what risk? You mention minutes, but if he's doing well he'll get minutes. Should they target players who've done bad for another team? I'm not getting your concern... it's pretty standard to see someone perform on another team and covet them in a trade.
The concern is effectiveness and efficiency. Deep teams have great players who slot lower in the line up but can play higher. Weaker teams deploy lesser quality players higher in the line up which is why I pointed to Mason Raymond as an example.

Raymond played 17 minutes a game with a terrible Leafs team and put up nearly 20 goals and 45 points. He then comes to a better Calgary team on a new contract, struggles to stay in our top 6, forced to play in the bottom 6 and naturally cannot replicate the same production and is then bought out.

He's an extreme case which I don't see happening with Lindholm. But this is an every year occurance in the league where one player goes to a new team or situation and struggles to produce like the year before because they didn't get the same opportunities as previous.

I don't know what Lindholm is and I can't say I've ever paid attention to his game. So he is an unknown quantity to me, but to me, a less riskier player would be one who scores more efficiently at even strength, per minute that he plays with less opportunities on the PP and etc. That would be a player who I would say has a higher likelihood of breaking out.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #306
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
The concern is effectiveness and efficiency. Deep teams have great players who slot lower in the line up but can play higher. Weaker teams deploy lesser quality players higher in the line up which is why I pointed to Mason Raymond as an example.

Raymond played 17 minutes a game with a terrible Leafs team and put up nearly 20 goals and 45 points. He then comes to a better Calgary team on a new contract, struggles to stay in our top 6, forced to play in the bottom 6 and naturally cannot replicate the same production and is then bought out.

He's an extreme case which I don't see happening with Lindholm. But this is an every year occurance in the league where one player goes to a new team or situation and struggles to produce like the year before because they didn't get the same opportunities as previous.

I don't know what Lindholm is and I can't say I've ever paid attention to his game. So he is an unknown quantity to me, but to me, a less riskier player would be one who scores more efficiently at even strength, per minute that he plays with less opportunities on the PP and etc. That would be a player who I would say has a higher likelihood of breaking out.
This is clearly evident.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #307
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This is clearly evident.
I think the point in career of Raymond versus Lindholm is quite different. As is their respective positions, talents and previous history. Raymond's 20 goal season came at 27, after he was a PTO pickup, having been not signed by Vancouver, after having multiple low point season (really only one good one before that one) and he immediately reverted to his previous standard.

Lindholm is 23. He was a first round pick. He has been consistent over the last two seasons.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #308
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Bingo,

Don't you think Lindholm should get a look at center? He might be the second best center on the team.
He might be. But we also have Backlund, Jankowski, Ryan and maybe Bennett. Lindholm could also be the best or 2nd best RW. And I’m not sure Czarnik is hot to the task of being the #2 RW if Lindholm is at centre.

Our depth on RW is worse therefore I think Lindholm shores up that position. If one of our centre gets injured then I think you can move Lindholm to centre
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #309
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
What was Carolina offering that ended their negotiations? You would think Carolina would have loved a contract like this.
Seems like the owner took a hardline stance and didn’t want to pay for potential. Hard to win when you trade your players just before they’re about to break out.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #310
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He might be. But we also have Backlund, Jankowski, Ryan and maybe Bennett. Lindholm could also be the best or 2nd best RW. And I’m not sure Czarnik is hot to the task of being the #2 RW if Lindholm is at centre.

Our depth on RW is worse therefore I think Lindholm shores up that position. If one of our centre gets injured then I think you can move Lindholm to centre
Plus its always a nice advantage to have a winger on the ice who can take draws if he has to.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #311
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Will this make backlund redundant?
Nope. Lindholm can play RW too and there’s a good chance he does. Centre is the most important position up front so having good depth there isn’t redundant.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #312
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This is clearly evident.
I guess not everyone can be as smart as you. But my point is still valid regardless of what you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #313
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FlameFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #314
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
What was Carolina offering that ended their negotiations? You would think Carolina would have loved a contract like this.
rumour is they offered only a shade over 4m.

LeBrun specified, saying that the Canes are currently offering a tick above $4 million dollars as an AAV. Lindholm’s camp is staying firm on their asking price, which is believed to be just north of $5 million.

https://www.canescountry.com/2018/6/...mors-trade-nhl
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #315
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess not everyone can be as smart as you. But my point is still valid regardless of what you think.
But you went from worrying that Lindholm will regress, that he played well before and because of that there's somehow a chance he won't play well now.

Then, in your last post, you talk about players more likely to break out that you'd rather target.

Which is it? Are you worried he'll regress, or won't break out? I don't think your point *is* valid, as you haven't backed it up with good reasoning and moved the goal posts.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #316
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think the point in career of Raymond versus Lindholm is quite different. As is their respective positions, talents and previous history. Raymond's 20 goal season came at 27, after he was a PTO pickup, having been not signed by Vancouver, after having multiple low point season (really only one good one before that one) and he immediately reverted to his previous standard.

Lindholm is 23. He was a first round pick. He has been consistent over the last two seasons.
Mason Raymond is just one example of the endless examples that exist out there. It just happened to be a recent one off the top of my head that was relative to the Flames and the posters here.

For the record, I'm not even dumping on Lindholm here. He's clearly a quality NHLer who's probably going to be a good player for us. It was a simple remark that I didn't want his cap hit starting with a $5.xx and at the end of the day, it doesn't.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #317
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Treliving on 960 says they plan to have Lindholm to start on the wing at camp, but will leave where he ends up to the coaches.
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Flip the two RWs when they go cold. That's the top 6 of a playoff team.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #318
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Flip the two RWs when they go cold. That's the top 6 of a playoff team.
This is what I think as well. However, if Czarnik were to step up and grab the top line spot, then the top 9 really rocks!:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - whoever

and you could easily swap Bennett and Tkachuk there
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #319
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its a nice top 6 for sure... hopefully, the bottom 6 will pick it up this upcoming year... i think Ryan will definitely help, as will having Frolik add some scoring ability to the bottom six
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #320
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
But you went from worrying that Lindholm will regress, that he played well before and because of that there's somehow a chance he won't play well now.

Then, in your last post, you talk about players more likely to break out that you'd rather target.

Which is it? Are you worried he'll regress, or won't break out? I don't think your point *is* valid, as you haven't backed it up with good reasoning and moved the goal posts.
It's all of the above and I would hope that the Flames management group does the same thing considering how many failed trades/acquisitions we've had in the last few years. I hope the team has hired some more critical thinkers.

Anybody can find a way to spin a trade or a player to make it sound like it sounds great, but for me, I'm looking at it from all angles here and my initial instinct upon reading that Lindholm wanted $5M+ was not a positive one.

I'm not even out right saying that he'll regress, I'm just saying, the possibility exists from what I'm seeing. I'm not just going to assume that because he's 23 and a 1st round pick that he's automatically just going to continue to improve. That isn't exactly valid either and with the limited amount of knowledge we all have of this particular player, I don't know how one could even back up anything with "good reasoning." It's all just opinion and conjecture at this point.