Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #161
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
But by the time you fill his spot there is basically no cap relief, or not enough to do anything with. If the Flames don't need it fine but if they actually want the cap room it's basically a wash and he may as well be a 13th forward.
True, but I was comparing that option to a buyout. Either way, you still have to fill his spot with a replacement player, so from that point of view the two options are a wash.

The question is whether Brouwer still counts as even a replacement-level player. If not, keeping him on the team is a poor choice whether or not you save money or cap by getting rid of him.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #162
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
True, but I was comparing that option to a buyout. Either way, you still have to fill his spot with a replacement player, so from that point of view the two options are a wash.

The question is whether Brouwer still counts as even a replacement-level player. If not, keeping him on the team is a poor choice whether or not you save money or cap by getting rid of him.
If the question is whether or not Brouwer is hurting the team or the transition/development of other players then absolutely that should be considered.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #163
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kulak, Hathaway, and Rittich left.

The big questions for those contracts aren't so much the $ value, as much as 1 or 2 way designs. Already settled the two bigger money contracts finished outside arbitration.

Kulak contract will be done one way or another within a day.
Rittich arbitration date is Saturday the 28th.
Hathaway arbitration date is Monday the 30th.

Hanifin is left. I would expect that contract to be settled after all the arbitration cases are done. Coming together nicely so far!
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #164
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Kulak, Hathaway, and Rittich left.

The big questions for those contracts aren't so much the $ value, as much as 1 or 2 way designs. Already settled the two bigger money contracts finished outside arbitration.

Kulak contract will be done one way or another within a day.
Rittich arbitration date is Saturday the 28th.
Hathaway arbitration date is Monday the 30th.

Hanifin is left. I would expect that contract to be settled after all the arbitration cases are done. Coming together nicely so far!
1 and 2 way doesn't matter to us as Fans provided the AAV is less than 1.025M as that can be buried with no cap penalty. I don't see any of those theee hitting that number. I think the real number is significant and a 100k on each of the 3 of them could be the difference between Hanafin bridged and Hanafin with term.

On Brower I'm sure there is a market for 2yrs of Brower at 2.25 so we should have to buy him out. A trade at 50% retained works very well for the Flames as it cuts down on the duration of the cap hit.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #165
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich and Hathaway seem like players that should be close to league minimum on 2-way deals. I don't really get arbitration here.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #166
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
1 and 2 way doesn't matter to us as Fans provided the AAV is less than 1.025M as that can be buried with no cap penalty. I don't see any of those theee hitting that number. I think the real number is significant and a 100k on each of the 3 of them could be the difference between Hanafin bridged and Hanafin with term.

On Brower I'm sure there is a market for 2yrs of Brower at 2.25 so we should have to buy him out. A trade at 50% retained works very well for the Flames as it cuts down on the duration of the cap hit.
Well, you can bury them, but you have to replace the roster spot, and the replacement costs roughly the same. Eg: bury Kulak at $900K (if there's a split in arbitration), bring up Valimaki and you are actually losing $25K. I guess you save some money if you bring up Kylington.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #167
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Thank you. Also, I assume the bolded meant "shouldn't", correct?
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #168
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just my opinion but I think this is false:
> On Brower I'm sure there is a market for 2yrs of Brower at 2.25 so we should have to buy him out. A trade at 50% retained works very well for the Flames as it cuts down on the duration of the cap hit.

I think there is no market for Brouwer at 2 years of 2.25 either. Otherwise he would be gone already.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Just my opinion but I think this is false:
> On Brower I'm sure there is a market for 2yrs of Brower at 2.25 so we should have to buy him out. A trade at 50% retained works very well for the Flames as it cuts down on the duration of the cap hit.

I think there is no market for Brouwer at 2 years of 2.25 either. Otherwise he would be gone already.
Only if you give up something else.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #170
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, you can bury them, but you have to replace the roster spot, and the replacement costs roughly the same. Eg: bury Kulak at $900K (if there's a split in arbitration), bring up Valimaki and you are actually losing $25K. I guess you save some money if you bring up Kylington.
My point was that I don't care about 1 way vs 2 way. I only care about real dollar value.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #171
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point was that I don't care about 1 way vs 2 way. I only care about real dollar value.
If it's my money I don't want to pay a minor league player $800K.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #172
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If it's my money I don't want to pay a minor league player $800K.
That's the point its not our money. Ticket prices don't change, we clearly are a Cap plus team given the amount of 1 way forward contracts they are planning to carry. So there is no affect to us as fans on 1way/2way
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #173
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope team sign with Rittich before the hearing. I think Rittich is better than Gillis at the moment and if he learn how to handle a traffic in front of him, he will be good goalie for us.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #174
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd like to see Rittich's numbers strictly in the backup role.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #175
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1022214772819877888
https://twitter.com/user/status/1022214797163618304
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #176
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Wow, the Wiz is not a happy camper. I'm surprised a couple of more bodies haven't been shipped out yet.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #177
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blustering Brad.
seems weird to direct those comments at bottom pairing, third line, back-up and newly acquired guys to me.
Perhaps he should direct his frustration toward under-performing, large contract players that he signed in the past?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #178
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tre is cold as ice. Unfortunately, he is taking it out on the young guys and bottom half of the lineup for now. Having said that for Janko, Kulak, Ritich and Hathaway's buddy's on the team that have any bad feelings about how these negotiations have gone, the message is clear: personal stats are not above team goals and I believe the message will be enforced again by whatever changes are still pending (buyout, assistant captain strips and/or demotion).

I hope the message sinks in for all guys, but especially those that have contract negotiations in the next couple of years. This is definitely a different team.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #179
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder who was asking to triple their salary. I'm guessing they won't be around long.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #180
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Wonder who was asking to triple their salary. I'm guessing they won't be around long.
Has to be Hanifin, doesn't it?
so 1.775 to 5.325/AVV?

Last edited by monkeyman; 07-25-2018 at 06:20 PM.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote